Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fowled bore or clean and oiled #91375 09/06/2011 4:26 AM
junebug Offline OP
Gun Slinger
OP Offline
Gun Slinger
Rickiesrevenge's post got me to wondering.How do your guns shoot with a clean an oiled bore first shot.With most of my guns I start the season with a fouled bore [one or two shots]as the first ones from a clean and oiled barrel are never in the group with the rest. My .22's seem the worst about this,sometimes requiring 5 to 10 rounds to settle down .The only guns I hunt with, with a clean and dry barrel are my muzzleloaders and they are sighted in clean and dry. A fowled muzzleloading barrel draws moisture bad and sometimes it stays loaded for a couple of days,so I want it dry,and clean. Some of my pistols will put the first shot out a couple of inches with an oiled bore.

junebug
Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: junebug] #91376 09/06/2011 4:34 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I always fire a couple fouling shots before taking to the woods. I've seen the same thing your talking about which is the first couple rounds normally are out of the group and then it settles in. If I need to do anything to the barrel during the season it's normally to just run a bore snake through to remove moisture or grime.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: wapitirod] #91385 09/06/2011 12:26 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
never shoot with oil in your bore! at least dry patch it out before shooting.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: KYODE] #91386 09/06/2011 1:25 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Y'all clean your guns??

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: junebug] #91405 09/06/2011 3:42 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
About a week or two prior to season opening I check the zero on whatever I am taking with and don't touch the bore again until after season is over.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: s4s4u] #91407 09/06/2011 4:33 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
About a week or two prior to season opening I check the zero on whatever I am taking with and don't touch the bore again until after season is over.

Exactly..............

Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: jwp475] #91419 09/06/2011 7:31 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: jwp475
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u

Exactly..............

X's 3.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: junebug] #91420 09/06/2011 7:38 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: junebug
...A fowled muzzleloading barrel draws moisture bad and sometimes it stays loaded for a couple of days,so I want it dry,and clean...

If your ML can use Blackhorn 209, you don't need to worry much about moisture. In fact, I don't clean mine from last Sat. in Oct. - 1st Sat in Jan. No issues whatsoever with corrosion and that's rain or snow or shine.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: guitarpicva] #91433 09/07/2011 12:43 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
never forget what ole' john at FA told me. he cleans about 1x per year for the bore, i clean the cylinder a touch more when the rounds don't want to be seated fully other than that i don't.

Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: tradmark] #91434 09/07/2011 12:43 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i will clean a little more if i use jacketed bullets, like 2x per year.

Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: guitarpicva] #91438 09/07/2011 2:01 AM
junebug Offline OP
Gun Slinger
OP Offline
Gun Slinger
I normaly use 3FFF black powder in all the muzzleloaders,it shoots better for me.Of course the flintlock won't run on anything else.The flinter is 30 plus yrs.old and still has a shiny clean bore.I hunt any weather so if they get soaked you have to wipe them off.
If I have to clean the bore on a pistol I try to put a shot thru it before I hunt it again. One advantage to having more than one to hunt with. All the revolvers are sighted in the same distance, as are all the single shots and each has its own marked ammo box.Mark sight in data on the lids and load data.
C.R.S. is bad sometimes so I write it down.

junebug
Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: tradmark] #91439 09/07/2011 2:22 AM
llhunter Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I'll bring an interesting perspective. I'am a firm believer in a fowled bore. if my gun is zeroed at the range with that bore than it should be good enough for hunting. but one year i was in wyoming hunting goats and came upon a dead buck. as most would do i told the warrden in the area about it and went on my way. The next thing I knew i was being pulled over and interigated about shooting the buck. I told him I did not shoot the buck and was trying to fill my doe tag. in fact I hadn't even shot my gun yet. He proceeded to check all firarms and found mine was dirty. and asked me why i told him I hadn't shot my gun. I was stuck with a loss of words and said i like a fowled bore.

Luckilly someone elce had seen the poaching and called it in with a different vehicle description. so it ended at that. But what a mess it could have been. I think I would have won in the end after they checked bullets because I was using my 375 win. not to mant people hunt goats with that one.

Again thats just my story and you need to do what makes your gun accurate. Maybe I just have bad luck!!!

357MAX, 30-30 ACKLEY, 375 WIN, 41 MAG.
Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: junebug] #91456 09/07/2011 2:05 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: junebug
I normaly use 3FFF black powder in all the muzzleloaders,it shoots better for me.Of course the flintlock won't run on anything else.The flinter is 30 plus yrs.old and still has a shiny clean bore.I hunt any weather so if they get soaked you have to wipe them off.

I neglected to mention I use a stainless and modern in-line. I can see your issues with a flinty! I need to find a new barrel for my old .45 Kentucky 1:66 (Jukar Spain). I pushed a ball down it without powder once as a young buck, and never did get it out. I imagine it's part of the barrel now.
\:D
The old percussion round-ball shooter was darned accurate at open sight ranges and for the smallish deer we have in our parts.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: guitarpicva] #91482 09/08/2011 2:13 AM
Team Amish 1 Offline
If you're really curious, just do some down&dirty testing. Record a few groups right after cleaning and then every 100 or so rounds and see what your gun likes best.
I personally clean only for proper functioning.
.22's every 1000 or so rounds or when it takes force to chamber cartridges. Centerfire semi-autos, top-end only every 500 or so, lowers when they look gross. Revo's when there's too much residue caked up (that's kinda subjective, I admit...).
When your test is complete, please share the data.

Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: Team Amish 1] #91522 09/09/2011 2:55 AM
junebug Offline OP
Gun Slinger
OP Offline
Gun Slinger
Bench rest shooters seem to clean after every target,but they are after a different accuracy standard than I am. Some olympic shooters say they would never touch a .22 barrel that shoots,and they are after pure accuracy also. I want mine to shoot as
well as I am capable of, but off of field rests. A few thousants here or there I won't notice. What I am after is the first shot out of the barrel has to go to the same place everytime, if I do my part. I take all my hunting guns to the range for sight checks before season and don't touch the barrel again until after season closes,if at all.[except the muzzleloaders] How do you treat your long range guns Ernie?

junebug
Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: junebug] #91549 09/09/2011 4:53 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
With my centerfires, they are fouled just before the season, while confirming zero and drops. I don't clean again until I am done.
If something happens to where I need to clean for whatever reason.
I will still foul my barrel even if it means firing a couple of rounds into the dirt

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Fowled bore or clean and oiled [Re: tradmark] #91728 09/13/2011 3:44 AM
Tuner Offline
When I go to the range to shoot a centerfire firearm off season and do not anticipate shooting again for several weeks I will clean my bore. Prior to going out to shoot I will run a patch saturated with mineral spirits through the bore and then several dry patches. This procedure in my rifles seems to eliminates first shot flyers or bring them into a very acceptable level. If I am checking the zero on the same rifle prior to hunting season I will not clean again until the season is over.

Rimfire .22 or my handguns that shoot cast bullets exclusively only get cleaned when accuracy starts to deteriorate, with a .22 that can be a long time.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod