Next Thread
Print Thread
Hey Snyd, howd it go? #92295 09/23/2011 7:17 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Are you butchering?
Do we get a trip report? I need to live vicariously thru you this season...

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Vance in AK.] #92309 09/24/2011 12:10 AM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I just started my write up. Here's the start. I'll get to more later on....

Okay, well now I'm hopelessly hooked! I went on my first "official" handgun hunt. Rifle stayed home. I was packing my 45 Colt Bisley Hunter w/355 wfn's as my hunting gun in the Wyoming Combo Holster and of course as any other time I'm in the woods here in Alaska - my 4" 454 Redhawk was on my hip in the Simply Rugged Pancake, my "Oh $4it!" gun. On to the hunt.....

3rd solo moose hunt in a spot I've killed 2 meat bulls before with my rifle, a 40 incher and a fork. I motored in on my atv, pitched my tent and was ready to hunt for 5 days. I saw a cow and calf headed in the first day, nothing that evening. Did some calling that night. I didn't see one moose the second day, saturday.... bummer. But, I had done some exploring and found a moose freeway through the woods leading to a saddle where there was a nice little treed, rocky overlook into the old burn area from 6 years ago.

Sunday morning I still hunt my way down the trail to "rocky point". It was pretty warm so I took my long johns off, stuck em in my pack and out of the still clam air I hear RAKE- RAKE, SNAP! RAKE RAKE!!...... A bull!! Unmistakable sound. It sounds like someone using a 5 gal bucket to tear the woods down.. My heart starts pumping and my mind starts racing...." is this gonna be it?!?!l..... a bull with my pistol?!?!?"

I peek up over the rocky point, peer into the woods with my binos and bingo! I see the bull now on the move left to right about 150 yds. I get a quick look at him, probably 45ish, nice palmated brow tines. I also see a glimpse of another moose's head, looks like a cow.

I head off paralleling them down my little ridge through the woods hoping to get in position....

Last edited by Snyd; 09/24/2011 12:13 AM.
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Snyd] #92310 09/24/2011 12:14 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Oh, that's not fair, Snyd!! Please continue!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Whitworth] #92312 09/24/2011 12:56 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Well I said I wanted to live vicariously through you....
Your report so far has already caused me more excitment than my whole season!

Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Vance in AK.] #92323 09/24/2011 4:48 AM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
Sounds great but Im waiting for part 2,its a great story.

Dave Tarbell
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Dave Tarbell] #92325 09/24/2011 5:44 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
He better not have gone to bed.....

Vance in AK.

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Vance in AK.] #92326 09/24/2011 6:17 AM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Okay, here's part 2. Off to bed. More tomorrow...

I was looking for a shooting lane and a spot where I could scrape the brush and hopefully pull him in to 50 or so yds and hopefully have a kneeling shot. Well, you know how things go, critters don't always cooperate. I got to a spot, saw the moose still on the move through the brush… I scrape… he stops, then keeps going… somewhere along the line I ranged him at 92 yds. I grunt, he stops then picks up his pace. He doesn't want to come in. I figure he doesn't want to leave the cow he's with so I attempt to close the gap to get closer…. I close it some… maybe 15-20 yds but everything is happening very fast and I feel like a kid on his first deer! I find a shooting lane, the cow slips through fast…. there's the bull! ug, long way out, I can't get a shot if I kneel, it's offhand I line up, he whips around and as I pull the trigger BANG he's quartering away on the move back the way he came….AAAAHHHHH!!!! Not good, I see the other moose follow him and get clear view and it's a forked horned bull, not a cow afterall….. what just happened…. I think I screwed up is what happened…. Did I get to excited and impatient?… probably… did I wound the bull…. I seriously doubt it….but the aching thought lingers….. man, this is going to haunt me… I should waited... I coulda got a better shot.... did they wind me? see me or just sense me?.... I continue up the trail feeling like a whipped pup…. or a kid who just screwed up his first chance at a deer.....

Last edited by Snyd; 09/24/2011 6:21 AM.
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Snyd] #92327 09/24/2011 7:27 AM
zac0419 Offline
I am really enjoying the report. But I have to admit, if this teasing goes on for weeks, I'll be forced to pay Vance (or another AK member) to find you and smack you around a little!!

Kidding aside, looking forward to part three, I too have to live vicariously through member stories this year.

Zac
CO
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: zac0419] #92332 09/24/2011 1:03 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: zac0419
I am really enjoying the report. But I have to admit, if this teasing goes on for weeks, I'll be forced to pay Vance (or another AK member) to find you and smack you around a little!!

Kidding aside, looking forward to part three, I too have to live vicariously through member stories this year.

I'm with you, Zac! LOL!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Whitworth] #92333 09/24/2011 1:09 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Isn't it time to wake up in Alaska? Come on already...
;\)

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: SChunter] #92335 09/24/2011 1:27 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: SChunter
Isn't it time to wake up in Alaska? Come on already...
;\)

Anyone have Snyd's phone number? Maybe it's time for a wakeup call! LOL!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Whitworth] #92342 09/24/2011 3:40 PM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Good morning...

As I slowly crept up through the woods my mind returned to the days of still hunting whitetails, mulies and elk in the mountain woods of Western Montana with rifle in hand. That was over 20 years ago before I moved to Alaska. I found there are different and better ways to hunt moose up here which mainly include staying put in a good spot and waiting for them to move through within, or close, to range. Calling and lots of glassing distant areas. The woods are much thicker and brushier up here, moose have bigger ears and noses and….. most of all…. if one spends much time sneaking around in thick brush sooner or later you'll come upon a Big Brown Fuzzy that could ruin your day! We see LOTS of grizzlies here. Plus, with moose there are fewer scattered across a larger area than in the typical deer mountains so a guy doesn't want to limit himself to a small patch of woods for the day. I say all that to say this…. as I was kicking myself for how the situation had just played out, I realized that my still hunting skills have not really been used in years. Getting close to a critter in the brush takes patience. I got impatient. I was wondering if I'd get a second chance on my hunt. I figure the bulls were down in the thick stuff now…. and then…. what's that!?! No way! the bulls had circled back up to the saddle and were in the woods about a 100yds out standing, looking right at me. It was weird though, the small one was directly in front of the bigger one, I could see one body, two noses and sets of eyes and a tangle of antlers. It looked like a two headed moose! Here we go again! I get a second chance!

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Snyd] #92350 09/24/2011 4:13 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
YOU ARE KILLING ME!Yes I was yelling but not in a mean way.Snyd you got my stomach in knots,my knees shaking,and that here we go again feeling,so what happened?

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: cottonstalk] #92351 09/24/2011 4:28 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I've been waiting for you to get up!!!!

"the bulls had circled back up to the saddle and were in the woods about a 100yds out standing, looking right at me"

That describes 90+% of my 100yd & under moose encounters. I see them & they are already staring at me. They have amazing senses that they don't get credit for. I think their senses are as good as the Montana whitetails I hunted, they just aren't in that constantly ready to panic state.

SChunter, remember we are 4 hrs behind you. Snyd is an older guy & needs his sleep! I may still have his # somewhere though if he sleeps in tomorrow. Call & hang up when I get up at 5!

Vance in AK.

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Vance in AK.] #92352 09/24/2011 4:33 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
No, I disagree, he needs to get up earlier! LOL!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Whitworth] #92355 09/24/2011 4:37 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Well unless he's napping he's up now!!! Time to get with the program!

Vance in AK.

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Vance in AK.] #92356 09/24/2011 4:38 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Call him, Vance! I want to hear the end of this story!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Whitworth] #92358 09/24/2011 4:50 PM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
All right you guys. I can only type so fast with these 50 + 1 year old fingers...

Your're right Vance, these moose are like BIG wary whitetails.

Yup, the point of my story is to try and convey what I was going through on my first handgun hunt. Nervous excitement, anticipation and all that you know. Here's the rest of the story...

This time I'm at a disadvantage, they know I'm there. I freeze, watch and wait. They seem nervous. I'm looking at them through my binos and they are staring me down looking kind of nervous. There is no noticeable breeze. Now that I know there are 2 bulls and not a cow and a bull I'm thinking that maybe a cow call will bring the bigger one in for a closer look. It's getting to be that time of year and a mature bull without cows has got one thing on his mind! Or, if they will just look away I could drop down and watch and wait or skootch around and get a bead on him. I decide to call. Here's where it's weird again, one of those split seconds where several things happen at once. Just as I start to let out a soft ..muhwaaa.. they turn their heads away but by then then I've let out the call, they snap their heads back and are on full alert…AAHH… I think I would have rather been undetected if possible. But I wait and watch, then the little bull takes a nervous looking dash off to the left quartering toward me. The bigger bull takes his attention off me, starts to follow the little bull then stops. The little bull bolts off…. the bigger one had moved to a spot where I've got what looks like a clear shot but he's still probably at least 90yds out. But, it's seems that it's now or never. Again, a standing off hand shot. Now I can put 3 in a 6 inch group at 100yds with a rest, consistently hit the 4 inch metal gong kneeling, sitting, leaning against something at 50-70 yds, and standing off hand consistently hit well inside a 12 inch box. But, I have'nt spent much time shooting off hand at 100yds. And of course now the adrenaline is flowing. But the kill zone on a moose is pretty big if you have a clear shot at it, 24 inches anyway. So, I line up at/behind the shoulder BANG! he turns around facing/looking the other direction, I have a second shot BANG… then a cow that I had never seen that the bull was obviously looking at, takes of and he busts out after her. I'm actually feeling good about my shots. a 1200lb moose can take a couple double lung shots and not even look like he was hit. I'm thinking I lunged him on at least one shot, he'll go a couple hundred yds, stop and try to catch his breath cuz his lungs are filling up and then fall over dead. Maybe farther cus he's chasing the cow. I head up through the woods to where he was when I shot. I can't find any blood. I'm still thinking he could be laying dead within a few hundred yds. I begin a grid/ zigzag search. The sinking feelings set in….. did I miss? did I kill him but can't find him? The nature of the woods there gave me good visibility, I did my grid search for over a half mile out and back and for for several hours. the more I searched and replayed the scenario the more I think I just plane missed. But at the same time I felt good about the shots, but then that leads me down the road of "did I hit him?". Any of you guys who have hunted for years know what I'm talking about.

I continued with my search for the possible dead bull that evening for a few more hours because I don't give up easy. I never found a drop of blood or the animal. I am confident that I just plane missed. Too far of a shot for an excited newbie handgunner to be taking offhand. I'd be butchering if I'd been rifle hunting. But, I don't regret my handgun hunt. I learned a lot and am looking forward to many years of a new found passion. What fun it is being in the woods with only your revolver. I feel a sense of newness in regards to moose hunting. Like the boy on his first deer hunt.

I hope I didn't get you guys all worked up for the big let down. But this is hunting not killing right?

I'm hoping that through sharing my story in as much accurate detail as I can, that myself and other newbies can learn what to do, and NOT do. I was at the outside edge of my ability and comfort factor for shooting. Probably like a 400yd shot with my rifle with a not so perfect rest. Anyway, now I look forward to spring black bear!

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Snyd] #92360 09/24/2011 5:07 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Not let down at all Snyd!!!
Great story & very well told. You did indeed have me feeling like I was looking over your shoulder & I enjoyed the hunt VERY much! Thanks for taking me (us) with you.
\:\)

Got any good camp or scenery pics to share?

Vance in AK.

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Vance in AK.] #92361 09/24/2011 5:24 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Great story, Snyd! I read this with great interest and being a true tail, I was not let down. I would assume that you are now hooked, yes???? Anyhow, thanks a bunch for the great story!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Whitworth] #92363 09/24/2011 5:45 PM
zac0419 Offline
I have never been, but I have to imagine hunting in AK is never a let down. Great story Snyd, thanks for taking us along.

Zac
CO
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: zac0419] #92366 09/24/2011 6:27 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thanks for taking us along!I may never have the opportunity to hunt AK but I feel like I just did,thanks again.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: cottonstalk] #92382 09/25/2011 3:09 AM
lagbolt44 Offline
addict
addict
Thanks for the ride along Snyd! You rekindled my dreams of Alaska! Good luck to you in the future! Thanks again,stay safe!

The 9 most terrifing words in the english language: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"-Ronald Reagan
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: cottonstalk] #92383 09/25/2011 3:09 AM
Tobias_Dunlap Offline
journeyman
journeyman
You tell the story so well its like im there in Alaska with you. Good story, thanks so much for sharing.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The handgun is the badge of the free, self reliant, undaunted individualist who epitomizes the spirit of the United States of America.
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: Tobias_Dunlap] #92391 09/25/2011 1:19 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Sounds to me you had an awesome hunt! The only bad thing about it is; no moose for supper!
\:\(
Great story, thanks gor sharing.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: KRal] #92505 09/27/2011 2:05 AM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
" TWAS A GREAT STORY!!- My wife has fits when I watch the shooting shows on television, because they always tag out. I insist that although they tag out, you don't tag them unless everything works out just right, and you can't measure the amount of pleasure I get from watching or participating or just listening to a truly great raconteur lead me thru his adventure. we are limited in the number of animals that we can harvest, but they haven't figured out how to make us pay for the amount of fun we have doing it, and each .............yet. Thanks for the story, we are waiting for another ........soon.

Re: Hey Snyd, howd it go? [Re: HoggHunter] #92506 09/27/2011 2:19 AM
punkinslinger Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Snyd, very well written, I enjoyed it alot.(Glad I was gone and just got home, to read it in one sitting.) Brought back the sights, sounds and smells that are Alaska. My first encounter with a bull moose, I remember saying " Whats that smell, smells like a root cellar". Never did figure out how a critter that big can move silently through the brush, when they want to.

The good Lord gives us "Life" a "Window Of Opportunity" what we do with this opportunity, defines who we are and what we become.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod