Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Multiples? #92416 09/25/2011 6:25 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I am still what I would call a new guy to this handgun hunting, and the calibers available in a revolver. I know the 460 can handle multiple calibers, are there other revolvers that can do that also?

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Multiples? [Re: Raptortrapper] #92418 09/25/2011 6:41 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
460 can handle multiple calibers,

The caliber is still .452 for all of them, they are not different calibers, just different chamberings.

There is the 454/45, 445SMAG/44Mag/44SP, 357MAX/357MAG/38SP, 475L/480R, etc.

All are families of of the same caliber, respectively, but different chamberings.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Multiples? [Re: s4s4u] #92420 09/25/2011 7:34 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Dude, seriously, like I stated in the OTHER question you had to get so technical about, I am NEW to this stuff. I think ya get the point of the question without me having to get so technical. I'm pretty sure that 99.999999% of everyone that reads this will understand that it is a beginner asking this question, and will know exactly what I'm asking even with a couple wrong words in the question.

To put your mind at ease, I now fully understand what you are saying. But you still didn't answer the original question -- Can those "families" that you mentioned be shot in the same revolver??

Here, let me try it this way for all those that need to be anal about specifics...

Are there other revolvers that can handle multiple CHAMBERINGS of the same CALIBER like the 460 S&W can?

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Multiples? [Re: Raptortrapper] #92421 09/25/2011 7:50 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If you get a .460, you can indeed shoot .454 Casull and .45 Colt in it, but that said, don't expect great accuracy shooting those short cased cartridges where the .460 goes. Personally, I prefer a smaller revolver. This photo shows a .460 XVR Smith with my 6-inch Model 29 .44 Mag. It is really cumbersome -- well built and a good revolver, but really large. But, it boils down to personal preference.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Multiples? [Re: Whitworth] #92422 09/25/2011 7:57 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Yeah, I know what ya mean about the cumbersome 460, and I know ya do lose some accuracy, but the 12 inch one I had wasn't to bad with the 45 colt. I was still comfortable to hunt with it, just not at the same distance as the 460. It certainly is cumbersom, but for some reason, I really became attached to it, and want to get another one to replace the one I sold two years ago. Guess I just have my mind already made up.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Re: Multiples? [Re: Raptortrapper] #92424 09/25/2011 8:55 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
To put your mind at ease, I now fully understand what you are saying. But you still didn't answer the original question -- Can those "families" that you mentioned be shot in the same revolver??

Yes they can. Dan Wesson made revolvers for the Supers and Ruger also made the 357MAX which shoots the 357MAG and 38 Special. You can have a barrel made for your T/C as well. If you load you can use 460 brass and power it to the level of 45LC or 454 and get better accuracy.

Rod, too.

Re: Multiples? [Re: s4s4u] #92425 09/25/2011 9:00 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
If you load you can use 460 brass and power it to the level of 45LC or 454 and get better accuracy.

Exactly.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Multiples? [Re: Whitworth] #92427 09/25/2011 9:14 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
AWESOME!!! Thank you S4S4U! I have a question though...

Did I read that correctly that you can load a 460 to be as light as a 45 colt!!?? I have not started reloading as of yet, but will be getting a Dillon as soon as I get my 460 and the scope for it.

I'm not sure I understand how you can use 460 brass, but get light load 45 colt results. Wouldn't the powder spread out to much inside the 460 casing and prevent all of it from being burnt?

Want to make sure I understood that correctly.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 09/25/2011 9:17 PM.

Re: Multiples? [Re: Raptortrapper] #92430 09/25/2011 10:25 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
can load a 460 to be as light as a 45 colt!!??

With the correct propellant you can.

Rod, too.

Re: Multiples? [Re: s4s4u] #92453 09/26/2011 5:06 AM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
raptor,

I use Trail Boss, 12.0 grains, with a 255 grain cast or jacketed bullet, 460 S&W brass, large pistol primer in my 460s ( 2.5", 4", 6.5", 8 ", 12" T/C Encore, 20" T/C Encore carbine ) with great results. Very accurate, with velocities in the range 800 - 1300 fps. Recoil is negliable.

Doc

Re: Multiples? [Re: doc with a glock] #92473 09/26/2011 3:19 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
AWESOME!!! Thanks for that info Doc!!

Re: Multiples? [Re: Raptortrapper] #92809 10/02/2011 4:25 AM
6.5JDJ Offline
stranger
stranger
raptor;

Consider this a friendly suggestion. If you haven't reloaded before, don't start with a progressive press. Start with a single stage press like the rockchucker or the Redding turret. I started loading shotgun shells with a progressive, before I really understood what I was doing, and eventually I sold it and went to a single staage press. You'll make fewer mistakes that way.
Richard

Re: Multiples? [Re: 6.5JDJ] #92810 10/02/2011 5:49 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Thanks for the suggestion. I've thought about it, but I don't know that I want to get the single stage press. I can't sit still long enough to do it one stage at a time. Shoot, I can't even sit at the table long enough to wait for my wife to finish eating!!! I want to be able to put all the material in place, pull a handle, and "get 'er done!" as they say. I'm not what you would call a patient person -- I am constantly on the go, and my wife always tells me to go outside and play with the dogs or something. I've been accused of A.D.D. more than once. Anyway, if I understand correctly, the single stage ones are more for those that want the EXACT load repeated in round after round. I am just wanting it to be pretty darn close. As long as it is within an inch or so of where I am aiming, I consider that a dead critter, and all is good. I don't plan on tack driving a 460 S&W, and I want to spend as little time as possible at the reloading bench sitting still.

But yes, point well taken, and thanks for the suggestion! I may eat my words later, but I just don't think they made the single stage press with me in mind.

Re: Multiples? [Re: Raptortrapper] #92822 10/02/2011 1:36 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Quote:
I've been accused of A.D.D. more than once.

attention deficit disorder

SYMPTOMS ADD or ADHD:

Often fidgeting with hands or feet, or squirming while seated.
Having difficulty remaining seated.
Having difficulty awaiting turn in games or group activities.
Often blurting out answers before questions are completed.
Having difficulty in following instructions.
Having difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities.
Often shifting from one uncompleted task to another.
Having difficulty playing quietly.
Often talking excessively.
Often interrupting or intruding on others.
Often not listening to what is being said.
Often forgetting things necessary for tasks or activities.
Often engaging in physically dangerous activities without considering possible consequences.
Being easily distracted by extraneous stimuli.

i would NOT want anyone so described reloading MY ammo!!!....i would NOT want to shoot another mans ammo that was described in this manner!....i would NOT want to be around this man while he was loading ammo!

handloadiung ammo is a serious hobby that demands your undivided attention, with extra attention to detail. there is a lot more to it than just spitting out ammo right and left.

that particular hobby may not be for you.
\:o

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Multiples? [Re: 6.5JDJ] #92824 10/02/2011 2:11 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I started with, and still use, a Lee 3-hole turret press. You can either treat it like a single stage, although you only have to set up your dies once and just change turrets when you change chamberings. Or you can use it like a progressive, although you have to index it yourself. Not as fast as a progressive, but quicker than a single stage, and less hassle when changing over or changing loads.

And, like Kyle said, either method requires your full attention.

Rod, too.

Re: Multiples? [Re: KYODE] #92825 10/02/2011 2:17 PM
KRal Online Content
Shootist
Online Content
Shootist
KYODE, well said.....I have to strongly agree!!!! If you don't have the patience to properly and safely reload; how would ya have patience for being a patient at the horsepital. Just my 2cents.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Multiples? [Re: KRal] #92828 10/02/2011 2:41 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
How do you hunt if you are impatient??

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Multiples? [Re: Whitworth] #92866 10/03/2011 3:03 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I see what you guys are saying, and believe me, I understand completely that reloading demands your full and undevided attention. I'm 37, and know when I need to be serious with something.

I said I've been ACCUSED of being ADD more than once -- doesn't mean the doctors think so. They just tell me I have more energy than the average person. I am an electrician -- that DEMANDS my full attention, absolute detail, and control of every movement and thought. Don't believe me? Go open up your electrical panel and try to disconnect three wires without gettin zapped, or tripping a breaker. Ok guys, Don't REALLY go do that, I'm just sayin...
\:\)
I don't worry about going to the hospital, I worry about going to the morge!! I only get one mistake when working with 12470 volts on high lines. And I probably won't even know I made that mistake -- whoever finds me will know though.

Anyway, my point was, I want to be able to spit out my reloads in a shorter ammount of time than what it would take with a single stage progressive. I'm not lookin for pin point accuracy, I'm just looking for SAFE loads to shoot at a cheaper price in the 460. Maybe saying I don't have the patience was the wrong way to put it. I have all the respect in the world for reloading -- and honestly it makes me a bit nervous. I've been talking through PM's with one of the more knowledgeable people on here extensively about this reloading stuff, and making sure I get this right. I'm going to be calling him to make sure I get the reloader set up correctly, and get started right. So thanks for the concern, but I don't plan on blowing myself up any time soon.

And you ask how I hunt if I'm not patient... When I'm outside hunting, fishing, or practicing falconry, the rest of the world doesn't exist, and I don't get in a hurry for ANYTHING! When I'm in the outdoors, THAT is when I am calm, relaxed, and can just watch the day go by.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 10/03/2011 3:10 AM.

Re: Multiples? [Re: Raptortrapper] #92873 10/03/2011 4:52 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I'm gonna be honest with you guys about this progressive press thing, and why I want to go that route. Aside from taking less time, I think it takes ME, or the "human error factor" out of the equation a little more than the single stage press does. I know that if I am in competition shooting, or long range target competitions, then yeah, I could see the use for getting every single round to be as close to identical as possible. Seriously, all I want, is a bunch of factory ammo at a reduced price. Yeah, I'm also wanting to find a good hunting load that my gun really likes, but mainly, I just want a bunch of factory ammo reloads, with as little chance as possible to introduce human error. Granted, there may come a time when individual loads are more important to me, but right now, and for the extended future, I really just want to hear a bang, feel some recoil, and smell some burnt powder! Thats all I really want.

Perhaps I don't really understand the single stage turret press idea. Sounds like the same thing as a progressive to me, except I'm the one that turns the thing. So I guess maybe I don't understand what the difference would be. I'm not opposed to something other than a progressive if someone can make me feel comfortable with one. But until I am a bit more comfortable with reloading, I'm thinkin the less I'm involved in the process, the better off I'll be.

Let me ask this, and maybe I will understand a little better where you guys are coming from: Why would you go with the single stage press, or the single stage turret press if extreme accuracy was not the objective?

Thanks for your thoughts, concerns, and help with this.

Re: Multiples? [Re: Raptortrapper] #92876 10/03/2011 10:14 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Quote:
I am an electrician -- that DEMANDS my full attention, absolute detail, and control of every movement and thought.

that says a lot right there. i now believe you are fully capable. i have a considerable amount of electrical training(2yrs vocational and an associate degree), so i know what it takes. your first post concerned me.
;\)

i've only loaded single stage. i'm low volume, so that satisfies me. i like the best accuracy i can get in most circumstances. i can understand your desire for straight wall cases in a revolver at a little faster rate. i just never wanted the extra setup and cost etc etc for progressive loading. a single stage operation is generaly cheaper/easier to do imo.

good luck n have fun.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Multiples? [Re: Raptortrapper] #92877 10/03/2011 11:32 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
When I'm outside hunting, fishing, or practicing falconry, the rest of the world doesn't exist, and I don't get in a hurry for ANYTHING! When I'm in the outdoors, THAT is when I am calm, relaxed, and can just watch the day go by.

You and me both!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Multiples? [Re: KYODE] #92880 10/03/2011 3:41 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I have been reloading since the 1950s and have owned both single stage & progressive presses. Today, I use only single stage presses. I have given two progressive presses away (hornady & dillon). I am concerned when someone who is new to reloading wants to begin with a progressive. In my experience, more things can go "wrong" on a progressive than on a single stage.

For me, a lot of the reloading process is done by "feel." I feel the primer seat, I feel the bullet slide into the case, I feel it when the bullet does not start correctly, I feel the crimp, etc. Until one develops the feel and understands exactly what is happening, I hesitate to recommend a progressive. I cannot "feel" it on the progressive press.

However, I am a stubborn old goat. Good luck with your project.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Multiples? [Re: wtroper] #92883 10/03/2011 3:50 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
For me, a lot of the reloading process is done by "feel." I feel the primer seat, I feel the bullet slide into the case, I feel it when the bullet does not start correctly, I feel the crimp, etc. Until one develops the feel and understands exactly what is happening, I hesitate to recommend a progressive. I cannot "feel" it on the progressive press.

Great point, I "feel" the same way.

Rod, too.

Re: Multiples? [Re: doc with a glock] #92888 10/03/2011 5:48 PM
temmi Offline
The 454 Casull can handle a 45 Colt.

But you may be better off loading your own mild(er) loads.

Good luck

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 68 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod