Next Thread
Print Thread
SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? #92431 09/25/2011 11:17 PM
BigDav782 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey everybody,

First post, and hoping to buy my first handgun for hunting tomorrow. I really like the Ruger Super Blackhawks in a .44 magnum, but all the versions I have seen available used around me are not the Hunter version. My question: is there a way to mount a scope (nothing crazy) to these if they don't have the factory place for the rings?

Thanks for your help, love the website!
Dave

Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: BigDav782] #92433 09/25/2011 11:43 PM
subsonic Offline
stranger
stranger
B-square makes a clamp on that will mar the frame and is questionably solid.
Weiand makes a very nice mount, but it requires drilling and tapping. I'd go for that one and take it to a smith.

There are probably others that require drilling and tapping like the SSK, but I'm not familiar with them.

Lighter optics, like red dots, are easier on mounts. I have had some big fights getting heavy scopes to stay put and hold zero on handguns. Some that didn't kick that hard.

Definitely choose rings that have 2 good screws on each side. I've had good luck with Leupold PRW rings. I'm about to try some Warne steel rings that are vertically split.

Last edited by subsonic; 09/25/2011 11:49 PM.
Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: subsonic] #92434 09/25/2011 11:56 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Welcome Dave!
The BHs & SBHs are great pistols & a good cjhoice. The Hunter model is great because you can switch back & forth betwen sights & scope.
I agree with subsonic on Weigand mounts being the best.
http://www.jackweigand.com/raswms.html
Had one on my S&W mod 29 for years shooting heavy 320gr bullets with no problems.
On revolvers I REALLY prefer red dots my self, & the 30mm Ultradot is my favorite.
By the way, if you find a nice hunter in 45 Colt don't pass it up! It will do everything the 44 mag will.

You will love handgun hunting. It is a wonderful addiction, & this is the best informed & most friendly place on the net to feed it!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: Vance in AK.] #92435 09/26/2011 12:27 AM
BigDav782 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Are there any safety/reliability issues with a gun that has been tapped? I'm guessing it gets tapped right above the cylinders, where there is more meat than on the barrel.

Thanks for the welcome, can't wait to get more involved in this adventure!

Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: BigDav782] #92436 09/26/2011 1:14 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yup right above the cylinder & no I never seen a properly done one be a problem.

What part of the country are you in Dave?

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: BigDav782] #92438 09/26/2011 1:25 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: BigDav782
Are there any safety/reliability issues with a gun that has been tapped? I'm guessing it gets tapped right above the cylinders, where there is more meat than on the barrel.

Thanks for the welcome, can't wait to get more involved in this adventure!

BigDav782, it's perfectly safe. Most any blackhawk you see with a scope, has been drilled and tapped; minus a couple no drill model mounts, which, as stated above, are questionable. If you're interested in the hunter model; there was a few on gun broker and a couple on the classifieds here.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: KRal] #92444 09/26/2011 2:22 AM
wheeler45 Offline
addict
addict
My Super Blackhawk has worn a Weaver mount for over twenty years. There is no drilling required. It has never shifted. Midway has them for $64.95

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13
Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: wheeler45] #92448 09/26/2011 3:35 AM
BigDav782 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the help, I'll expand my search now that I know that they can just be tapped to accept a scope!

I'm in Minnesota, and will be staying in the state for whitetail with this new handgun.

Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: BigDav782] #92449 09/26/2011 4:15 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Hey BD, I am in MN as well. I D&T'd my Bisley myself for the Weigand base, simple process and no worries about shaking loose. If you decide to do the same I would be happy to loan you the bit and tap. It is so simple that a .......

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: s4s4u] #92454 09/26/2011 6:06 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Hey BD, I am in MN as well. I D&T'd my Bisley myself for the Weigand base, simple process and no worries about shaking loose. If you decide to do the same I would be happy to loan you the bit and tap. It is so simple that a .......

You know as soon as you say that your going to break a tap or drill off center don't you?

If you take your time it's not too bad and it's even easier if you have a drill press. The Main thing is don't get in a rush marking the holes, make sure they are centered and I strongly suggest drilling a pilot hole or using a centering bit to start the hole.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself most any competent gunsmith can do it for you. I get 30.00 for the first three holes and 5.00 for each additional. I prefer the Weigand bases to the Leupold because they allow you more scope position adjustment and the use of more than one ring. I've also found that the cheapest rings on the market work as well as anything I've tried. The rings I'm talking about are the Leupold Rifleman vertical split, I generally use 3 or 4 and they sell at wal mart for about 12.00 a pair. On the 44 your safe to stay with the 6-48 screws but if you ever step up to 454 or larger I always go oversized to 8-40.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: wapitirod] #92463 09/26/2011 12:12 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
A D&T scope mount certainly will not hurt the revolver or impinge on the strength of the frame HOWEVER as soon as you put a hole in the top strap, your lifetime warranty is over.

Ruger will not service the gun at all with a D&T frame.

To that end, if you are looking for a super blackhawk, I would strongly suggest the hunter version.

Now, if you happen to be pretty handy or would feel comfortable doing any repair work yourself then go right ahead.

Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: wapitirod] #92464 09/26/2011 12:14 PM
BigDav782 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am competent with tools, but not sure if I'd have the patience to do something with this level of detail. $30 sounds pretty reasonable to let an experienced person handle this. Thanks!

s4s4: where in northern MN are you? I'm heading to Park Rapids for hunting in november.

Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: BigDav782] #92468 09/26/2011 1:33 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have 3 BH's with D&T Leupold base and rings--I had a hunter in 44Mag-- I just did not like the balance-- I prefer the scope mounted back on the frame and the lighter barrel.

I have never had an issue with the Leupold mount-- If you go #8 screws like Rod stated--you will do damage to the gun before the scope mount comes off

As for warranty--there have been so many parts changed in those guns they would not warranty them anyway.

Just a note the one I have with scopes shoot very well--the 45 Colt being the best.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: H2OBUG] #92510 09/27/2011 2:50 AM
muddydog Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have to add if you are new to handgunning you might try a scope before drilling and tapping the SBH.Them crosshairs sure do shake when mounted on a pistol! I personally dont like scopes on revolvers. I shoot irons just fine and they have some advantages over glass, especially on close quick shots and when the sun is just right to shine off the lense and make it totally useless. This cost me a shot at a trophy animal. Not bashing scopes at all, just another take to think about. My Contender wears glass, the revolvers stay clean. If you gotta have a scope get a hunter model.

Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: BigDav782] #92513 09/27/2011 4:16 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Here is a pic of my personal 454 I built with the Weigand base and 4 rings. H20 is right the Leupold will work fine on a 44 and I've seen them on the big bores but fact is scopes will flex under firing so I opt for the most rings possible although the 44 is not likely to kill a good quality scope. I also prefer my scopes further forward so it's a matter of taste. I'm sure if you go through the bragging board photos you'll come across a pic of a Leupold base or maybe H20 has one so you can compare.

Here is a pic of a Hunter model I just put a brake on, it uses a Weaver adapter which again allows for more rings and adjustment of scope position.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: wapitirod] #92521 09/27/2011 10:13 AM
Mike S Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
That is a Weigand Base on the Hunter Above, With a Leupold Red Dot on it.
http://www.jackweigand.com/Redhawk_Blackhawk_Bisley_Hunter.html

I cant wait for that gun to come home !
\:\)

Mike

Re: SBH question: scope if not a Hunter? [Re: Mike S] #92542 09/27/2011 4:25 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 67 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod