Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OK OK .... I get the point. #92924 10/04/2011 3:52 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Ok guys. As many of you know, I am new to reloading, and have been looking at a progressive press. HOWEVER... The 100% consensus is to use a single stage or turret press. Still not sure I know the difference between a single stage and a turret, but that is besides the point.

So, being that I would rather learn from the mistakes of others, and not repeat them myself, I have started looking in to the single stage presses. When looking at progressive presses, I was told that Dillon makes the best presses available today. So I figured their single stage press must be pretty good to (Plus I like the color blue a lot more than I do red or green).
I found a press on their website called the BL550 Basic. It says on the website it is a turret press, which I think means the same as single stage, but not sure. Anyway, it has the ability to be made in to a progressive press later on if I should choose to do so. It takes the addition of two parts I think to make it a progressive. I figure that way, If I DO want to go progressive later on, I can just add a couple components to that press, and not have to buy a second complete setup.

Has anyone used this press, and is this the same as what you guys are talking about? To me, it looks different than the RCBS and LEE press, but I don't exactly know what I'm looking at.

Also, I am not a believer in kits. I find that more often than not, even though it may be a cheaper way to get started, It costs more in the long run cause things often wear out much faster than just buying quality stuff the first time around. BUT... if your experience with any of the reloading kits says otherwise, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks again!!! You guys are a HUGE source of help for me on this stuff. It is certainly greatly appreciated.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 10/04/2011 5:45 AM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: Raptortrapper] #92926 10/04/2011 9:13 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

The Dillion 550 is an excellent press, but is not a single stage press. The 550 is a progessive press

Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: jwp475] #92931 10/04/2011 12:02 PM
tyler.woodard04 Offline
addict
addict
the "kits" out there are good. your going to need all the parts they have in them anyway. and its best you learn using the basic equipment, not the more complicated stuff. your safety and those around you should be considered. I started on a single stage bonanza o style press, Redding powder dispenser and beam scale. with the single stage press your forced to take your time. with the progressives it can be easy to miss a primer seat or short stroke the handle causing problems. how much shooting of given caliber will you be doing? I only use the progressive for .223 and .45 and even then im on the low end of the volume output because i take my time.
Hornady makes a great "kit" and the L-N-L system works very well and I can produce very accurate ammo with my press. i dont have the kit myself. but my .02

Last edited by tyler.woodard04; 10/04/2011 4:07 PM.

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: tyler.woodard04] #92937 10/04/2011 3:10 PM
huntkng Offline
addict
addict
I have two single stage and a Dillon 550. I've been reloading for about 40 years. I still go to the single stage press for all my hunting and target work. The Dillon is only used for my speedy guns like my Sigs and AR's.

I'd get a good RCBS kit and start there. You can't beat the simplicity and ease of a single stage for load development and low volume cartridge reloading.

Bill

Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: huntkng] #92938 10/04/2011 4:57 PM
iamacrammo Offline
stranger
stranger
We use Dillon equipment for the most part. We have a number of 550 presses and a number of their other models. The reason we use Dillons is because over the last 15+ years that we've utilized them we have NEVER had to pay for ANY parts that have worn out or become "lost" even for machines that we've bought second hand. We also utilize a good number of single stage presses from Bonanza, Hollywood, Lyman, Hornady and RCBS. I find using a single stage press gives one much more control in the loading process especially when it comes to rifle cartridges or bottleneck pistol cases. It also gives me a more sense of personal enjoyment/accomplishment when using a single stage press. The only presses that I cannot endorse is Lee. You get what you pay for. Sorry if that ruffles some feathers. Just my opinion.

The Second Amendment is only second to the First Amendment, which would be meaningless without the Second. As to me and my house, we don't buy Chinese junk. The Solution: Put AMERICA FIRST.
Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: iamacrammo] #92939 10/04/2011 5:10 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
The only presses that I cannot endorse is Lee.

I have been using a Lee 3-hole turret press since day 1 and see no reason to change. I use it as a single stage, but the nice thing is that you leave your die sets in the turret and change over in seconds with a different turret. I don't care for their dies, but their turret press and their cast O press work just fine.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: iamacrammo] #92940 10/04/2011 5:18 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
The point (for me) of the turret press (sort of a semi-progressive, if that muddies it further for you), is that you can set up your dies on a round plate that drops into the top of the press (Lee model specifically). When you need to change caliber, you just pull off one plate and drop in another with no major (if any) adjustments. If you load more than one caliber, this is very convenient.

Secondly, the turret can be used in a progressive manner for some cartridges or you can remove the "cam" and use it one stage at a time. When you are done with one stage, you just lift slightly on the circular plate with your dies on it and turn the it by one position and which puts you on to the next die.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: Raptortrapper] #92943 10/04/2011 8:32 PM
mikefrompa Offline
old hand
old hand
Kit's are not that bad. I bought a Lee Breechlock press "kit" from Midway when I started loading. It is a good basic kit, but I did upgrade to a Dillon beam scale and eventually bought a RCBS electronic dispencer/scale combo.The press is good and so are the Lee dies I bought for it. It all depends how much you want to spend.

Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: mikefrompa] #92950 10/04/2011 11:44 PM
subsonic Offline
stranger
stranger
You have a good plan, if expensive. That dillon press is a "turret" only because it is simply their progressive that forces you to load one cartridge at a time. My best suggestion is to look at their info online and read their instructions and wAtch the videos before you buy.

You will need a powder scale and a dial caliper to start if you use carbide (no lube required) dies. Later you can pick up tons of other stuff like trimmers, deburring tool, powder measure, loading blocks.... but you really can load with the Dillon and those two items. AND a good load book. A lot of people will disagree, but I like the Lee book if you're only buying one or your first one. You'll likely buy more books and tools later.

Last edited by subsonic; 10/04/2011 11:47 PM.
Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: subsonic] #92953 10/05/2011 12:05 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
One book is never enough. I like to reference the powder man's data with the bullet man's data as there are often some significant differences.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: s4s4u] #92954 10/05/2011 12:32 AM
subsonic Offline
stranger
stranger
If you aren't out of money yet, you could go for the RCBS Chargemaster in liu of a traditional scale. I love mine.

Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: s4s4u] #92989 10/05/2011 6:31 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
where do you think Dillon got his idea for his press from?Call Mr.Lee and talk to him about it.I have a singlestage and turret press from Lee which produce good ammo.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: johnwilliams] #93014 10/06/2011 12:01 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I too have several Lee Presses (And like them).
If I were getting started right now I would go with this kit
http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-lee-classic-turret-press-reloading-kit-1.shtml

Rated a 4.6 out of 5 by 95 reviewers. Not bad.
You will want everything it includes at some point. You need to add dies & components.
Personal preference I would add a hand primer. I just prefer them.

I would never recomend a single stage press. The turret alllows you the EXACT same control as a single stage (you use it the same way), but with greatly increased production because you don't have to switch dies between stages. You just rotate the turret. When you get faster it gets MUCH faster than a single stage, but you still have the simplicity of the single stage press.
I usually decap & size a large quantity of brass at one time,
then use the hand prime to prime while I watch a movie with the family.
Next time I get free time I rotate the shell plate run them into the expander die which also charges them with powder, & set them in a case block. I visually check all cases to be sure none was missed or double charged & weigh every 10th charge (keep in mind I have already set the powder measure). Next I seat the bullets. The family time is optional but fruitful :-)

I have seperate shell plates (only takes a second to change) for 44 mag, 450 Marlin, 38/357, 480 Ruger, etc. I just store the dies in their plates.
I also really like the Pro Auto Disc powder measure that comes with it. VERY consistent, & only dumps powder when a case is present to activate it.
I don't think you will regret it.

The Dillon equipment is 1st rate too, jut a lot more money. Do you get what you pay for with Dillon? Probably.
But I like to get more than I pay for so I choose Lee :-)
I'm yet to where out a Lee tool & I probably load at least as much if not more than the "average" handloader.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: OK OK .... I get the point. [Re: Vance in AK.] #93351 10/12/2011 2:03 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
I think I said that Vance!
\:D

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod