Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
when to hunt #94253 10/30/2011 11:50 PM
mudmixers9 Offline OP
OP Offline
okay i went get my trail camera today and its been out all week. i had over a thousand pictures. the he deer never left my feed pile they stayed there for 4 days straight never left. the problem is if they are staying all the time when do i go to my stand without spooking them. my stand is about 50 yards from my feeding area. its not really a problem that the deer are there i jus want some help on how to get there without them knowing.

Re: when to hunt [Re: mudmixers9] #94254 10/31/2011 12:01 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Wind, terrain, weather, etc all play a factor in what you are asking.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: when to hunt [Re: mudmixers9] #94255 10/31/2011 12:02 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
deer never left my feed pile

That is illegal here in MN so no experience there. Looks like you might just have to sleep in the feed pile.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: when to hunt [Re: s4s4u] #94258 10/31/2011 12:31 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
We can feed in the Carolinas, but they tend to come in in the evenings at "prime time" to the food sources, usually just before dark. It may be difficult to access in the AM without blowing them out of there, but I imagine you should have a window either midday or early afternoon.

When do the deer return after you place the camera or re-feed? That should give you an idea of how tolerant they may be to your access...if so, you could have someone else drop you off at your stand in the same fashion you feed.

Re: when to hunt [Re: SChunter] #94261 10/31/2011 12:56 AM
claytonfaulkner Offline
Go quietly when the wind is right. I used to have a stand that I saw deer every time I walked in the field and would just take a seat on the ground about 150 yards away, most of the time it wouldn't spook them and I could continue when they finally left the field.

Re: when to hunt [Re: claytonfaulkner] #94263 10/31/2011 1:30 AM
mudmixers9 Offline OP
OP Offline
this has never happined to me either they ussually just come once or twice a day at dawn or at dusk,but my camera has a picture of the deer every 4 minutes all day and night

Re: when to hunt [Re: mudmixers9] #94265 10/31/2011 1:43 AM
Muddy Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
If they are that attached to the feed...they will spook but they will come back I think.

Dan

Re: when to hunt [Re: Muddy] #94297 10/31/2011 2:48 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I have to agree, mess with the feeder and then climb in your stand while your buddy leaves. We have to do that ALL the time at my grandparents.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: when to hunt [Re: TCTex.] #94303 10/31/2011 4:26 PM
flingwinger Offline
If they are that attached to the feeder you can push them out and they will return.

Semper Fi (K9XXY).
Re: when to hunt [Re: TCTex.] #94339 11/01/2011 4:02 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: TCTex.
I have to agree, mess with the feeder and then climb in your stand while your buddy leaves. We have to do that ALL the time at my grandparents.

This will work but there is another way to do it if you are alone.
MAKE A LOT OF NOISE, the more the better. Bang stuff, no talking. I used to go to a stand where I would spook the deer. I had the stand with me with a chain in using a binder. I beat the chain on the wood all the way in. I kept it up as I climbed the tree and set the stand. I only got quiet when settled in and an arrow on my bow.
The noise ran off the deer but in no time, a buck would walk right under me looking for the source, step out 20 yards and I would shoot him.
You will NEVER sneak in on a deer, forget it. I have run off deer sneaking in in the dark and had them come back within 10 yards to watch me climb the tree. That will be the end of your hunt. They do not fear you in the dark and will watch you. Too many times I had deer walk past me in the dark, sometimes so close I could reach out and touch them. If they see you climb, they will not go near your stand.
Once in PA I had a deer spot me. She would come up the trail and without looking up, turn and move to the next trail only to come back to the original trail after passing me. I set a dummy in my stand, put another on the other trail. She walked under me and I had meat.
Deer are so easy, I have been in the middle of a herd many times, all of them feeding. I could walk around, kneel down, knock an arrow and get a shot. WHY, because I had them thinking I was just another deer, I fool them. I have had deer standing at my side looking at the other deer, paying me no attention.
Sneak, freeze, NOPE! Act like a deer, stamp your foot, MOVE, never freeze like a predator. Do everything that you see a deer do to you.
Don't walk like a man in the woods either. Learn to walk like an Indian. Walk like a deer. Make the right noise, you will not be quiet.
Once I bumped a deer from her bed. I fooled with her by stamping my foot, moved my head back and forth. She came back to her bed, laid down not 10 yards from me. She was licking her side while I looked at squirrels all around.
I had to go to work so I walked past her, she jumped up, looked at me and I said "HA-HA," I fooled you. Once I left my stand and came upon a herd feeding a field. I acted like a deer, stamped at them, moved. I followed them within 40 yards for 500 yards. I decided to see what they would do so I put down my stand and all of my stuff in the field. I ran like a deer off to the side, breaking branches and snorting or squalling like a deer. I went back for my stuff and the deer were all still right in front of me, feeding.
I learned the deer my very first year hunting them, wrote a book and was rejected, not a famous name! Watch your videos, none of them know the animal. You really need a deer 10 feet from you with no concern to understand.

Re: when to hunt [Re: flingwinger] #94340 11/01/2011 4:19 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: flingwinger
If they are that attached to the feeder you can push them out and they will return.

YES, YES, YES, now you have what I have been saying. Never SNEAK. Make noise. They expect that. They will move clear and ignore stuff but will come back.
So many of you understand, that is good.

Re: when to hunt [Re: 430man] #94342 11/01/2011 5:18 PM
7P's Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Jim, I now know your "secret" for being so successful at deer hunting - you have several herds of retarded deer on your property.
When you pass yourself off as a deer during the rut - you better keep checkin 6.

Re: when to hunt [Re: 7P's] #94346 11/01/2011 6:31 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Mud, unless you're on public land or have a problem with thievery, I would invest in a feeder with a timer on it so there isn't corn there 24 hours a day. It's far easier to slip in to a stand an hour or so before the feeder goes off. Once game is conditioned to the time the feeder activates they will generally be in the area but won't be right in the middle of your stand until after it goes off.

430 man if that works for you then by all means keep doing it.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: when to hunt [Re: Gary] #94348 11/01/2011 9:41 PM
mudmixers9 Offline OP
OP Offline
430 man how many times has that method worked for you ? haha that sounds like a crazy idea to even try not saying it wouldn't work. i'm not saying anything bad about it im jus wondering what made you even think of trying that

Re: when to hunt [Re: 430man] #94431 11/03/2011 3:25 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 430man
............Deer are so easy,............

\:o
You need to come to Mississippi!!!!!! Our deer might give you a challenge! I'm not doubting your methods, but would love to see it work on a Mississippi deer.
\:\)
;\)

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: when to hunt [Re: KRal] #94433 11/03/2011 4:31 AM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
Those deer must not have a nose on them.

Dave Tarbell
Re: when to hunt [Re: Dave Tarbell] #94443 11/03/2011 8:54 AM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
At the risk of having my sanity questioned (more so than usual) I admit that the same thought has often occurred to me. The deer over, esp sambar, evolved with tigers as their primary predators. All their instincts are around silent creeping predators that may spring at them. Go any of us think we move through the bush more silently than a big cat stalking prey? I've also spoken with a lot of forestry workers who all say that when working with machinery, chainsaws etc, they often have deer walking past totally unconcerned.

Despite all that I still try stalking deer as silently as possible. Its just so counter-intuitive to do anything else.

Re: when to hunt [Re: 430man] #94447 11/03/2011 12:58 PM
TexasVine Offline
journeyman
journeyman
As suggested in a previous response, I would user a feeder if legal in your state. I set a morning and evening throw which has basically trained the deer to make their morning and early evening visits. My feeder throws enough corn to keep the deer around for 30 minutes or so. My set up is positioned away from any bedding area so the feeder location encourages the deer to move on after the corn is gone. Allows me plenty of time to change out a camera card or maintain the feeder.

TexasVine

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 101 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod