Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carry a big Handgun! #94793 11/08/2011 7:08 PM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
You guys probably remember the pic on a post made by another member of the woman that killed the wolf with a 44 in Idaho while bowhunting. I received this today which is part recap but read the whole thing.

Carry a BIG handgun!

Read clear to the bottom, these are the words from the wildlife official that investigated both of these occurrences.

This may interest you. I talked with this young lady yesterday afternoon. This is what she told me: She had been bow hunting using a cow call near Headquarters, Idaho. She changed her position and was crossing an open meadow when the wolf appeared at the edge. It saw her and the wind was blowing directly from her to the wolf. She raised her arms and waved them to catch it's attention, it came straight for her. The bow was dropped and the S&W M-29 44 Magnum was deployed. She made the 1st shot at about 10 feet, hitting it above the left eye. It dropped and changed direction, trying to get away after the shot. She shot it again in the lungs, then a 3rd time in the neck. It took two men to lift it into the pick-up.

She's a tall woman, about 5' 11" and pretty tough. She hunts bear and cougar with hounds - her own hounds! Her husband is a long range shooter and is adept at making 600 plus yard shots. The lady, however, is the one who busts the brush with bow or rifle. The wolf's size comes into perspective when you compare her size to it.

Another report was received this week was from Tim Johnson of Fishhawk Guides in Clarkston, the fellow who donates fishing trips to our Elmer Keith Shoots each year. He reports: "One of my Idaho Outfitter friends hunted a group of out-of-state elk archery hunters from the Great Lakes region last week and they called in a pack of 17 wolves by cow calling. None of the hunters had a sidearm or wolf tag and it was a very traumatic experience as the wolves surrounded the hunters! All hunters went home early very disturbed claiming these wolves are very different from the Great Lakes wolves as they claimed these Idaho wolves actually "Hunt" you and were not afraid!"

Outdoor adventures have definitely taken on new dimensions of excitement. Anyone for berry picking without a sidearm?

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: wapitirod] #94794 11/08/2011 7:14 PM
dc74 Offline
old hand
old hand
lol to side arms one for each arm .wow.

shoot it if its still coming shot it again!!!
Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: dc74] #94795 11/08/2011 7:21 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've actually spoken to her on a couple occasions and she was very cool and very fortunate. She also never goes to the field without her Mountain Gun.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: Whitworth] #94804 11/08/2011 9:45 PM
flingwinger Offline
One smart lady.

Semper Fi (K9XXY).
Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: flingwinger] #94806 11/09/2011 12:01 AM
onesonek Offline
 Originally Posted By: flingwinger
One smart lady.

Indeed!
The way it is, I don't go into wolf or lion territory without a sidearm.
Dave

Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: onesonek] #94809 11/09/2011 12:27 AM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I LIKE a tuff ol' gal!

Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: onesonek] #94810 11/09/2011 12:27 AM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
Always a good policy to carry a handgun, you just never know. These wolves are really getting out of hand,really they need to be erased as well the coyote.

Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: racksmasher] #94828 11/09/2011 2:46 AM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
wow.
thanks Rod that was a cool read. I'm glad she can shoot strait!

I know that I have had wolves follow me in the woods before while grouse hunting. there was fresh snow on the ground and I walked a ways then called it good so I turned around and found wolf tracks on top of my own!... Kind of freaky ...

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: BBwheelgunner] #94844 11/09/2011 3:23 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
Very enlightening read. If in the woods I always have a handgun.

I was fishing in Ontario two years ago. Myself, our guide and two of my buddies hiked in to a lake quite a few miles off of any trails. On the way out we found several sets of wolf tracks inside our own boot tracks for quite a long distance.

Not the most comfortable feeling when all you have to defend yourself is a 7' spinning rod.

Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: 98Redline] #94850 11/09/2011 4:44 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
It seams to me that the problem is that mt. lions, wolves coyotes, even black bears are no longer in fear of humans. its not that we are moving into there area, we always have been. about ten years ago a fellow in maine def. himself for a black bear att. with a 20g red label ( six shots). bear wasnt sick defending cubs or a kill. bet that was some exciting for a moment or two. i never hunted coyotes because i didnt eat them, well i still dont eat them but any that come my way for the last two years have been ducking lead.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: bluecow] #94870 11/09/2011 9:27 PM
esoxman50 Offline
If these animals are not hunted they loose their fear of humans. Even the family pet has to know its place; you can train your dog but you have to shoot the wolves and their kind; not all of them but enough to put some fear in them.

Joe W

Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: esoxman50] #94876 11/09/2011 10:24 PM
lagbolt44 Offline
addict
addict
It has been proven time and time again,if an animal has predator or competion for food and abundant food supply their numbers will increase to ovepopulation! Wolves,coyotes,hogs bears the list goes on & on.If we want these species around,they must be managed! We won't be allowed to use the extreme measures used to control them in the past(poison). They must be controlled by hunting & trapping.

The 9 most terrifing words in the english language: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"-Ronald Reagan
Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: lagbolt44] #94908 11/10/2011 2:58 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
Too many states make it a crime to carry a gun with a bow.
Years ago I had a 400# bear come up my tree when bow hunting in PA. I talked him down but I had no protection at all. No way to draw and shoot straight down when sitting. Even if I had been able to kill the bear, I would have been in trouble. I could not report it and would have had to sneak away. Laws can make you a criminal just protecting your life.
Later at the road I found the bear had broken through a tent camper, destroyed it, scattered the mans clothes all through the woods and ate all his food. Bears there were huge and had no fear. They would run a group off the table in the campground, eat all the food and go to every garbage can but you dared not kill one.
The state cared more about a bear then they did you.

Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: 430man] #94909 11/10/2011 3:10 PM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
We had the same problem here but the law was overturned because it was determined that fish and wildlife did not have the right to interfere with the 2nd Amendment or state firearm laws. Since then we can carry and it's a good thing since we have a serious cat problem with bag limits being two in some areas and the season being all year long in most areas and close for only 60-90 days in others.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: bluecow] #94943 11/11/2011 2:58 AM
S.B. Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Doesn't sound like a big handgun is the answer to this, Maybe should of tried better bullet placement?
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: S.B.] #94950 11/11/2011 4:30 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Steve1948
Doesn't sound like a big handgun is the answer to this, Maybe should of tried better bullet placement?
Steve

She hit it in the head with the first shot and incapacitated the wolf. The subsequent shots finished the animal off.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: Whitworth] #94951 11/11/2011 4:46 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Anyone that lives in serious predator country knows shot placement goes out the window when things go south, it's all about just hitting and keep hitting it until it quits moving.

Re: Carry a big Handgun! [Re: wapitirod] #94970 11/11/2011 2:10 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Heavy stuff...

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod