Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
how old are these deer #94939 11/11/2011 2:38 AM
mudmixers9 Offline OP
OP Offline
i just went check my trail cam and i was wondering if you think these deer are? im concerned about the littler ones. the season starts this weekend and i need some meat in the freezer , but i was wondering how old do deer have to be before they can survive on there own? i don't want to shoot the bigger one and the littler ones desn't make it.

Re: how old are these deer [Re: mudmixers9] #94945 11/11/2011 3:18 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Top photo This years deer and a 1 1/2 year old--Bottom photo both this years deer.

I would let them all walk

This equates to about 15 +/- extra heads over the next 5 years

Last edited by H2OBUG; 11/11/2011 3:20 AM.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: how old are these deer [Re: H2OBUG] #94949 11/11/2011 4:24 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I would agree that the top photo the smaller is this years deer. It will survive if you hammer momma. It's tough to tell on the bigger doe. I think she's older than 1 1/2 but it's pretty tough to tell without really studying her in person. I think the deer are the same in both pics.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: how old are these deer [Re: Gary] #94957 11/11/2011 5:50 AM
claytonfaulkner Offline
Where are you from? Around here they can be born really late. I have seen spots in November before. Supposedly we have too many does and the rut is going through February.

I might let it walk now, but by January, it would be down.

Re: how old are these deer [Re: claytonfaulkner] #94961 11/11/2011 6:04 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I agree with the first two guys, the little one is this years and momma looks like a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 but it's hard to be for sure without the teeth. You can make educated guesses from physical appearances and probably from behaviour. I always shoot the first legal animal with the exceptions of spikes and yearlings although I screwed up one year and took a yearling doe. The little one should be fine although still a novice at dealing with predators if they are a concern but all in all she'll probably be fine.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: how old are these deer [Re: wapitirod] #94974 11/11/2011 2:36 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Statistics generally show that yearlings have the highest mortality rate during the first winter. But whether you shoot it or not, the stats won't improve or worsen.

I agree that the yearling will probably survive (how bad are your winters, where are you from?) But, understanding the poor economy, etc. and of course a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, if you need the meat, and are mentally OK with it, shoot her and enjoy the steaks!

Re: how old are these deer [Re: Gregg Richter] #94976 11/11/2011 3:10 PM
minnesotahunter Offline
old hand
old hand
It's probly silly, but I've never been able to shoot a doe with a fawn along.
Nothing wrong with it at all, and they would both be GREAT eating deer.
Just can't bring myself to shoot.

I did shoot a fawn by accident one year with my 629. Looked like a regular sized doe all alone, but when I walked up to it, it was about the size of a german shepard.

Best deer I ever tasted.....

MN

Re: how old are these deer [Re: minnesotahunter] #94993 11/11/2011 5:55 PM
claytonfaulkner Offline
a 9 degree jump in 20 minutes is huge.

I have a moultrie that always says its 60 degrees

Re: how old are these deer [Re: claytonfaulkner] #94994 11/11/2011 6:31 PM
flingwinger Offline
I too, normally would pass on these two. I'd take a young buck if he had an ugly rack cause, it's never going to improve with age, and I have too many bucks on my property. If I need meat badly then, I'd take a mature doe. Yearlings usually have about a 50% survival rate without Mom down here. These are some hard times for alot of folks now. If you need the meat take her and enjoy.

Semper Fi (K9XXY).
Re: how old are these deer [Re: flingwinger] #95022 11/12/2011 2:28 AM
mudmixers9 Offline OP
OP Offline
i live in louisiana and the winters are not bad. we get below freezing only a couple of times during the winter. i would like to pass it up but i know other hunters in my club shoot anyhting without spots. i ussually pass deer like this up and wait for a bigger one to come

Re: how old are these deer [Re: mudmixers9] #95023 11/12/2011 3:18 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Where in LA I see the Palmetos and Cypress Knees????

Re: how old are these deer [Re: minnesotahunter] #95028 11/12/2011 6:17 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: minnesotahunter
It's probly silly, but I've never been able to shoot a doe with a fawn along.
Nothing wrong with it at all, and they would both be GREAT eating deer.
Just can't bring myself to shoot.

I did shoot a fawn by accident one year with my 629. Looked like a regular sized doe all alone, but when I walked up to it, it was about the size of a german shepard.

Best deer I ever tasted.....

MN

I shot a first year doe on accident a couple years ago, she was in a logged out clear cut uphill and I guessed the range at 200 yds. It looked like a full grown deer but without another deer to compare it to or horns to evaluate you couldn't tell. I shot with my 7-30 and made a perfect heart shot. Because of my injuries I couldn't get up the hill where she was so my wife brought her down and when I saw the deer being dragged by my wife I was sick. I took a range after the fact and it was actually only 125yds.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: how old are these deer [Re: wapitirod] #95035 11/12/2011 2:31 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
I shot many nice bucks in Ohio that nothing short of a bottle genie could make edible. I quit wasting animals that I could not eat long ago.
We have too many deer here with no winter kills and every year there are more and more. We have to worry about disease moving in.
I hate those shows where a guy shoots a big buck in the afternoon and they go the next day to find it. I know for sure the meat was wasted just for a rack.
Shoot the big doe, the little one will be fine. You have no idea of a deer's age unless you shoot it and check teeth. Another bunch of bull from the shows where they say "he is only 3, let him grow." Or "that one is 4-1/2 years old"---can any of them get REAL?
People go buy veal, lamb or a piglet but feel bad with a yearling deer, get over it, there is nothing better on the table.
Ethics is a good clean, fast kill and nothing wasted.
I really like the one where they say they shot a "dry" doe, are they NUTS? Not a single one would butcher an old milk cow beyond her prime. I have never seen a "dry" doe, they do not live long enough.
Do you want good meat or wait 5 years so you can toss it or give it away?
When you see a buck with a doe and shoot the doe, you have more ethics and better meat. If you shoot the big buck for the rack and waste the meat, you are not a hunter. Trophy hunters irritate me.

Re: how old are these deer [Re: 430man] #95036 11/12/2011 3:03 PM
7P's Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
430man - how did that "Irish" coffee taste this morning?

Re: how old are these deer [Re: 7P's] #95047 11/12/2011 4:57 PM
claytonfaulkner Offline
If I processed my own meat I would probably shoot 1st year deer but $60 for 12 pounds of meat just isn't worth it.

Re: how old are these deer [Re: 7P's] #95048 11/12/2011 4:58 PM
Midwesthunter11 Offline
I would agree with the above stated stuff if you are not excited to shoot a doe of any size than you probably should save your self the sore ass and buy a big buck hunt at a game farm anyway. One thing to keep in mind though when you shoot either doe is what is the quota on does in relation to population where you hunt? Cuzz if you shoot the older doe you you just killed the potential for not one butt 6 deer if the little one does not make it the winter.What i mean by that is every doe usualy has two fawns so if you kill the one and the other dies then you over harvested the potential for more deer. That could be a good thing or a bed thing depending on population. either way any deer with a handgun is a trophy no matter how you look at! good luck and happy hunting.

Re: how old are these deer [Re: Midwesthunter11] #95059 11/12/2011 10:46 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If your buck to doe ratio is anything like many of the places I hunt here in NC I would have no problem shooting the large one. The young one will definately survive. The deer population is increasing in most southern states and the need for the heard to be thinned is pretty big. Good luck and enjoy the steaks!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: how old are these deer [Re: cfish2] #95071 11/13/2011 3:03 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I agree with cfish! But, if you have issues with shoot'n a momma with a little one; shoot the little one.....
;\)
They eat much better anyway.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: how old are these deer [Re: Midwesthunter11] #95094 11/13/2011 2:36 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Midwesthunter11
I would agree with the above stated stuff if you are not excited to shoot a doe of any size than you probably should save your self the sore ass and buy a big buck hunt at a game farm anyway. One thing to keep in mind though when you shoot either doe is what is the quota on does in relation to population where you hunt? Cuzz if you shoot the older doe you you just killed the potential for not one butt 6 deer if the little one does not make it the winter.What i mean by that is every doe usualy has two fawns so if you kill the one and the other dies then you over harvested the potential for more deer. That could be a good thing or a bed thing depending on population. either way any deer with a handgun is a trophy no matter how you look at! good luck and happy hunting.

That is what is going on here, too many deer---WAY too many and that CD disease might be moving in. It has reached the point where it is no longer hunting, just go kill one. It is better to stop the twins born.
Some places can sustain buck kills or trophy hunting only but not here. The amount of female deer allowed and the extended seasons for them has increased with no affect at all. See a deer, shoot it, it needs done.
I have been here in the eastern panhandle of WV for 25 years and never seen so many deer. They breed like rats.
I had to go to the store the other day and all I seen was blood on the roads with dead deer on the side.
Soon it will be like pigs, rack and stack!
So many deer has also reduced the rack and body size. When I first came here I killed many doe over 200#, no more. I could sit on my deck or just stand in the yard and kill so many deer it would make you sick.
You fear driving anymore.

Re: how old are these deer [Re: 430man] #95247 11/15/2011 2:01 AM
mudmixers9 Offline OP
OP Offline
h20 i hunt on lake verret in assumption parish.

Re: how old are these deer [Re: mudmixers9] #95264 11/15/2011 3:36 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I am in North St. Tammany Parish

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 69 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod