Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Digital vs Balance #95088 11/13/2011 12:57 PM
Grendel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
OK, I need advice. My digital scale died, and my buddy bought me a RCBS 5O2 balance. I liked using the digital because it seemed fast an accurate. But which is the most accurate? I'll use what will produce the most consistent loads. Opinions?

"Aim small, miss small"
Re: Digital vs Balance [Re: Grendel] #95091 11/13/2011 2:03 PM
rickiesrevenge Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I use a RCBS chargemaster combo for most of my reloading. But when I am loading for really small calibers my loads are much more accurate using a rcbs 10-10. Some of the high end digital scales are really accurate and very expensive too.

Re: Digital vs Balance [Re: Grendel] #95099 11/13/2011 3:19 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Beam scales are inherently more accurate than digital, but the newest digitals are pretty dang good. I don't weight every charge so the little more time a beam scale takes to set doesn't bother. I use an RCBS 5-0-5 and 5-10. The cheap beam scales withouth magnetic dampening are a PITA tho.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Digital vs Balance [Re: s4s4u] #95121 11/13/2011 9:34 PM
contenderfan Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I like a balance scale myself...I just dont trust digital scales. Im slowly moving away from Lee equipment...but the Lee Safety Powder Scale is the one piece of equipment of theirs that I have never had trouble with and find it to be extremely accurate. Combine it with a good powder trickler and you can nail the weight right down to the 1/10 of a grain every time if you want to weigh out every single charge. I usually use it to check about every 5 charges when re-loading cases.

Re: Digital vs Balance [Re: contenderfan] #95123 11/13/2011 9:50 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have both -- I like a nice balance type scale better-- The electronic ones are easy but be careful they are very temperature sensitive. If you move the scale from like the house to the shed you have to allow it to warm up or cool down.. Makes a huge difference

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Digital vs Balance [Re: H2OBUG] #95141 11/14/2011 12:28 AM
Grendel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks. I think I know the answer I needed to hear. I am going to give this RCBS balance a good run. Remember it's only been one year since I have started this odyseeeee of reloading. I really need & like to hear everyones input. About Lee, for me they are my home town company. When I drop in with questions I get my answer & a smile. As a matter of fact I think I want to work there. BUT... to each his own. So far I am not unhappy with my Lee equiptment. Thanks guys. 6 more days to the Wisconsin gun deer season. Me I will hunt bucks with my SBBH, and my son a Virginian dragoon. Then does, me M28 S&W. my son, Security Six.

"Aim small, miss small"
Re: Digital vs Balance [Re: Grendel] #95148 11/14/2011 1:49 AM
contenderfan Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Not to hijack the thread, but I have always used Lee brand and was fairly loyal to them until recently. I ran across a Lee lock stud that had terrible run-out...so I bought another one. Same thing, run-out was so bad it was unusable...so I bought a third...guess what...same runout.
I contacted Lee via e-mail and recieved a response from Mr. Lee himself. Basically it was an e-mail telling me in no uncertain terms that it was my reloading practices that were the problem most likely, or my chamber was not cut straight.
So, I boxed the lock studs up and sent them back anyway...the run-out was just too obvious. The next day I recieved another e-mail from Mr. Lee informing me that in fact the shop did tell him that they had a run of lock studs that had "run-out issues". A few days later I got three brand new lock studs...all of which had...you guessed it...severe run-out.
Again I e-mailed Mr. Lee...again the problem was not his product, but instead was my reloading practices or a bad chamber...even after he had already acknowledged a problem relayed to him by the shop. I sent the other three lock studs back with a simple letter stating that if in all of Lee Precision there could not be found at least ONE lock stud that ran straight and true that the defective ones could be kept and the cost of them refunded to me.
That was at least two months ago and there were never any more replacements sent, nor any refund sent, nor any more replies from Mr. Lee...so I guess he couldnt find a straight running lock stud in his shop. I will no longer support a company whos owner blames the customer when they themself admit to producing bad parts, nor issues a refund or good parts when defective parts are returned.

Re: Digital vs Balance [Re: contenderfan] #95192 11/14/2011 2:18 PM
Grendel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Well then, I don't blame you.

"Aim small, miss small"
Re: Digital vs Balance [Re: Grendel] #95227 11/14/2011 7:36 PM
Mark Schronce Offline
Grendel,

I have both types, I use the digital for weighting brass for my benchrest rifles. the beam to set my powder measure. I use a Harrell Precision powder measure http://www.harrellsprec.com/online_store.html . I set a starting load with beam scales, and just click it from there, and record the clicks for charge, I shoot 66 clicks of H322 in my 35 Rem shoot Hornaday 180 gr ssp. These are the best powder measure's made! I have the benchrest model. I load at the range, when working up load, saves a lot of ammo. How many time have you loaded 10 of one load and the first group does not shoot, then you have rounds to shoot up that want shoot, or you run out of rounds that shoot great and need more.

Mark

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod