Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When can I carry my hunting handgun(s) openly in T #96295 11/28/2011 12:58 AM
Team Amish 1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Howdy,
I am getting ready for my first hunt here in Texas, on public land. Want to do some "squirreling" the first time around, close to Huntsville in the closeby State Park. I intend to hunt with a .22 revolver. At what point is it ok to carry it openly and not be accused of brandishing it?

Also, is it legal to carry more than one (RF & CF)?

Thanks for any tips, trying do do my homework so there won't be any snags.

Last edited by Team Amish 1; 11/28/2011 2:59 AM.
Re: When can I carry my hunting handgun(s) openly in T [Re: Team Amish 1] #96338 11/28/2011 2:17 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
On public hunting land the rules can be differant.

CALL A TEXAS GAME WARDEN!!!!!!!!!!

You can look them up online my county. Also, the training academy is in Hamilton, so... LOL

If you needs some help shoot me a PM.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: When can I carry my hunting handgun(s) openly in T [Re: TCTex.] #96339 11/28/2011 3:11 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I can't speak for TX and I'm not at home to have access to my book. The NRA publishes a book that has firearm carry and transport laws for all 50 states and it's pretty cheap. I think Midway carries it as well as some others or you should be able to get it from the NRA directly.

I know here in OR we are an open carry state and with the exception of the normal stuff like state and federal buildings you can carry open although with the number of anti's and the ill informed I don't recommend it on a regular basis. If I need to stop at a convenience store for a can of Copenhagen then I won't bother taking it off. There have been several cases I know of where the cops were called because of someone wearing a gun either openly or a concealed that was momentarily visible. Although nothing happened it is a hassle to have to waste time talking to a cop when you were within your legal rights.

I also know that there is no limit on how many concealed or open firearms you carry here, I often carry my Glock in the small of my back and a 38spcl derringer in my coat pocket. Like I said that is here in OR and I would think Texas would be more lenient than here but as was previously stated check first and I highly recommend that book. If you ever do any traveling that book can be worth it's weight in gold, especially if it keeps you from losing a gun or going to jail.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: When can I carry my hunting handgun(s) openly in T [Re: wapitirod] #96343 11/28/2011 3:53 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
wow, I wasnt thinking of that Rod! I was assuming he we were talking about hunting in a state park because we are in "handgun hunting." Good perspective buddy!

Speacking of which, if you have a CHL and it is honered in Texas, you can carry it in the State Parks, even while bow hunting. See what I mean about the screwy rules.. lol

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: When can I carry my hunting handgun(s) openly in T [Re: TCTex.] #96356 11/28/2011 8:50 PM
flingwinger Offline
Check it out thoroughly.

Semper Fi (K9XXY).
Re: When can I carry my hunting handgun(s) openly in T [Re: flingwinger] #96377 11/29/2011 1:31 AM
Team Amish 1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys,

Now, I do have a CHL but since "open carry" is a no-no in Texas, the pistols will both have to be officially hunting equipment.

I assume as long as I claim that, which is actually the case here, I should be fine. Kinda like carrying a .22 and a .308 rifle.

I'll take the advice, though, and check with a game warden.

Last edited by Team Amish 1; 11/29/2011 1:31 AM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 67 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod