Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Steady hold question #97032 12/05/2011 7:35 PM
NealSkelton Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have two Savage Striker's. One chambered for .22 and one in .308. I use the .22 to practice with and it's cheep to feed. I use the .308 for hunting. I've had these two for quite some time, however, as the years go by, it seems I've lost the ability to make a dependable shot at 100 yards off my walking stick. As a measure of my steadiness, I have made it my habit to hit clay pigeons on the dirt backstop at the range at 100 yards. This is off my walking stick that I would use in the field. There was a time when I could make this shot reliably with both pistols. Last year I shot a nice 8 point @ 125 yards, but the impact was a bit further back then I felt comfortable with. It was almost what I would call a gut shot. Had it have been a different angle it would have certainly been a gut shot. This brings me to my question gentlemen. I need advise on a steadier hold with a walking stick OR should I just resign myself to the fact that I may have shot my last deer?

Re: Steady hold question [Re: NealSkelton] #97033 12/05/2011 7:45 PM
Boartuff Offline
addict
addict
I couldn't make a 100 yrd shot off a walking stick either. Have you considered a bipod or tripod instead of the old stand-by walking stick? Bogpod makes a good product, which is what I'm using these days in the bipod version. A sitting postion is what I prefer if I can't get prone. Don't give up just yet!!

~BT~
Re: Steady hold question [Re: Boartuff] #97035 12/05/2011 8:11 PM
NealSkelton Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I thank you for you comments and advice. I spent half the day at the range on Saturday, opening day here was last Monday. Although I spent most of my time there waiting for people to leave, (trying to avoid questions and embarrassment) I will defiantly look into the Bog pod. Your the second person to mention that stick to me. I know every dog has his day, but I'm not farting dust quite yet.

Re: Steady hold question [Re: NealSkelton] #97036 12/05/2011 8:26 PM
minnesotahunter Offline
old hand
old hand
Sounds to me like your still in your prime. A clay pigeon at 100yrds standing off a monopod or walking stick no less is no easy task. Bipod should make all the difference. Takes all the side to side play out, now you just have elevation to contend with.

Sounds like you still have all the tools needed to get the job done. Keep droppin em.

PS We like pics!

Good job.

MN

Re: Steady hold question [Re: NealSkelton] #97041 12/05/2011 9:02 PM
WVShiner329 Offline
Neal, I have one of the BP Tac series tripods and it has proven to be rock solid.

http://www.boggear.com/shooting_sticks/tac_shooting_sticks.html

I will be ordering one of their accessory rest in the near future for my SBH Hunter and will post a report.

http://www.boggear.com/accessories/precision_shooting_rest.html

WVS.

You learn a thing a day, you store up smart. Festus Haggen

Blued steel and open sights.

NRA Life
Re: Steady hold question [Re: minnesotahunter] #97042 12/05/2011 9:06 PM
NealSkelton Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have access to a 75 acre tract of land that I've hunted off and on since I was 14 years old. I'm 67 now and not as steady as I was back then. I remember hunting squirrels with a Ruger Mark 1 back in the day. I still have that ol pop gun too. It was a gift to me in 1959. Do you think I'm holding myself to a higher standard than needed?

Re: Steady hold question [Re: NealSkelton] #97044 12/05/2011 9:15 PM
Boartuff Offline
addict
addict
Higher standard? Not necessarily. Sounds to me that you've proven to yourself with alot of practice and repetition that your technique works. I'd say that is pretty impressive.

Welcome to Handgun Hunt, too, by the way!

~BT~
Re: Steady hold question [Re: NealSkelton] #97046 12/05/2011 9:35 PM
WVShiner329 Offline
 Originally Posted By: NealSkelton
Do you think I'm holding myself to a higher standard than needed?

Heck no ! I'm 61 and still try head shots on squirrels with my trusty old Python out to 25- 30 yards shooting wadcutter loads.

WVS.

You learn a thing a day, you store up smart. Festus Haggen

Blued steel and open sights.

NRA Life
Re: Steady hold question [Re: WVShiner329] #97050 12/05/2011 10:29 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Great Comments Gents!!!

Sounds like you just need to find a new system that works for you and your needs.

I went the tripod option and I just put a sand bag on top of it, but it works for me... lol

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Steady hold question [Re: TCTex.] #97057 12/05/2011 11:29 PM
NealSkelton Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for all the comments gentlemen. You've all restored my confidence to a point that I went and got the key for the gate and I'll be out there tomorrow morning. I've been very worried about this subject since last year. I've never had a game animal run further than say 50 yards, last years buck made it over 300 yards before piling up at the bottom of a ravine. I had to get help finding it and getting it to the truck. We all know the very last thing we want is a mortally wounded animal running 2 counties away and leaving a bad blood trail. I remember once seeing a deer with an arrow sticking out of it's back right leg because I guess it hit a bone. The infection was horrible and I'll never forget the God Offal smell. I pray every time I pull the trigger that my shot it true and my bullet hit's it's mark. I also Thank God every time I walk up and find it right where it should be.

Re: Steady hold question [Re: NealSkelton] #97069 12/06/2011 12:03 AM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Stoney Point tripod with the short rear arm attached is almost as good as shooting off a bench out to 200 yards. A backpack IS like shooting off a bench. You'll be very surprised how good you can be with these systems.

Re: Steady hold question [Re: wvhitman] #97090 12/06/2011 2:02 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Know exactly what your talking about. Over the years I could see a decline in my steadiness and in the field I`ve come to rely on a sitting position using either cross sticks with the barrel on the sticks and my gripped gun resting on my knees or a leather rabbitt ear rest over my knees to absorb the cylinder blast. Have to try the Bog Pod with their rest thats made for handguns.
Good luck and good huntin, James

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Steady hold question [Re: wvhitman] #97125 12/06/2011 11:10 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: wvhitman
A backpack IS like shooting off a bench.

As much as I agree with this, the main problem is ground clearance. If your property were littered with fence posts, tall stumps, oversized rocks or if every other tree had one low branch 60" off the ground then a backpack would be ok. Where I hunt, about any position other than standing will greatly diminish your ability to see and shoot.

A tall telescoping bipod such as the Stoney Point mentioned above is nearly always with me. A lot of times I use it with both legs together and the v-top leaned against a tree then set my handgun in the "notch". My left hand will support the handgun against the tree and bipod while my right hand is holding the grip. This also allows me to use the inside of my left arm as a grip support for my shooting hand.

I'll have to try to take a pic.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Steady hold question [Re: Dan B.] #97354 12/08/2011 5:44 AM
ssphunter Offline
I use a Primos Trigger Stick mono-pod. It works not too bad but I want to get the Primos Tri-Pod version. It's a bit lighter (I think) than the bog pod and it's alot easier and quicker to adjust the height.
Mike

Enjoy your family and friends today as they may not be here tomorow.
Re: Steady hold question [Re: ssphunter] #97361 12/08/2011 1:39 PM
NealSkelton Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Update. I went out on the 6th and didn't see anything that I could take with a definite one shot kill. Yesterday morning I was out walking around and around 9am I got a little tired. I sat down next to a fallen tree to take a break. After sitting there for about 20 minutes, I heard something to my left. Sure as shi# stinks, there's an 7 point buck at about 125 yards. I swiveled around on my butt a bit and pulled my knees up and rested the pistol on my knee caps and discovered my next best shooting position. The point of impact was just an inch below the white dot of hair on his chest. He went about 10 yards and stopped. I thought,"OH NO"! Then his legs folded like a bad dealer at a poker table. I pulled out a cigar and chewed on that for a while and just enjoyed my day. God Bless America! I'd really like to thank you guys for all the kind words of encouragement. Truth be told, I seriously considered not going out this year. Had it not been for you guys, I wouldn't be griping at Fred at the butcher shop about the price of processing my deer. I've been giving him a hard time for over 35 years and his coffee sux.

Neal Skelton

Re: Steady hold question [Re: NealSkelton] #97366 12/08/2011 2:52 PM
paul0 Offline
Great shot Neal,and Iwish ALL hunters cared as much as you do, most do ,but a handful,well you know,, anyway I too shoot a striker and I made a walking set of shooting sticks out of a couple furring strips 2 nails with the heads filed off and a nut an bolt. Put it together for my height and it works very well especially if I can lean my back against something solid. Good luck and welcome to the site..

Re: Steady hold question [Re: NealSkelton] #97369 12/08/2011 3:20 PM
TexasVine Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Great post! I have learned some good stuff here. I am also trying to be more steady on my hold.

TexasVine
Re: Steady hold question [Re: NealSkelton] #97437 12/09/2011 12:15 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
THAT IS AWESOME!!

From what I can remember E. Keith use to shoot a lot off his legs while sitting down...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod