OP Offline
stranger
Post deleted by J_Scott

"If you can't do it with one shot, don't bother"
Re: G2 or Encore Pistol [Re: J_Scott] #7297 02/09/2005 5:28 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i have both, and i love both models. maybe you can handle each at a shop and see if you have preference

you may wanna start with the G2 first, if you are serious about rimfire. but......then again, if you are really, really serious about rimfire. OTT makes a custom rimfire barrel for the encore. it has an offset bore that uses the factory hammer to strike the rim.

maybe next year you can get the companion to it for your birthday.
if you turn "hardcore".......you may want one or more of each.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: G2 or Encore Pistol [Re: J_Scott] #7298 02/09/2005 5:58 PM
Cossack Offline
journeyman
journeyman
It depends on what calibers you want to shoot. Generally speaking the G2 is a replacement for the Contender, whose frame was limited to pressures under 50,000 PSI. The Encore can handle much higher pressures even the 300 mag kind. But, while you can get a after market rimfire fix, the Encore does not do rimfires.

Re: G2 or Encore Pistol [Re: J_Scott] #7299 02/10/2005 1:16 PM
J_Scott Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the help. I think I've decided on the Encore, mainly because it can handle higher loads. What is the best way though (if you don't have a tree nearby) to shoot it? Do you just straightarm it or put it on a bipod or single crutch? I'm looking forward to putting a couple hundred rounds of .22 hornet through it, in anticipation of getting a larger caliber for deer hunting.

Re: G2 or Encore Pistol [Re: J_Scott] #7300 02/10/2005 2:53 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
but..........do remember that if you reload your own ammo, the contender can be had in many wildcat calibers that are nearly as, or just as effective as the high pressure chamberings for the encore.
the contender is slightly smaller and lighter, if that is a concern also.

in the field i use whatever's available to rest the forearm on..........or use a set of homemade cross shooting stix............and shoot with my left arm bent and the nylon sling around my elbow to steady the off hand shots.

all out offhand with no support of any kind will severely limit your range. practice extensively with various field rests. don't be afraid, or just plain too tight to put a lot of ammo thru that thing.

Re: G2 or Encore Pistol [Re: KYODE] #7301 02/11/2005 4:15 AM
J_Scott Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
For right now I won't be doing any reloading until I get more comfortable (and more barrels) with the Encore. I like the idea of the crutch or resting the forearm where ever I can. I didn't think of the sling, is there a special one you like to use or just any ol' one will do? I do plan to put alot of ammunition through the gun, I figure with practice you can only get better.

Re: G2 or Encore Pistol [Re: J_Scott] #7302 02/11/2005 4:41 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i use a standard 1"- 1 1/4" nylon sling....."super sling" by outdoor connection.
the "just sling it" one looks like it'd be nice though.

must be able to shorten up fairly short.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod