Next Thread
Print Thread
late muzzleloader season #97642 12/11/2011 6:13 AM
junebug Offline OP
Gun Slinger
OP Offline
Gun Slinger
Our late muzzleloader season started Saturday 10th. It has been
a tough year with full moons and hot weather. Lots of does, few bucks. The weather finally cooled down and my wife got her buck late Saturday afternoon (I was packing up on another ridge to come out when she shot). An 8 point at 60 yds,90 gr.3fff Goex and a 250 gr xtp.
Hole thru the top of the heart. She said he was a lottttt bigger when she shot him. I always tell her to shoot what will make her happy,not me. We still have a couple of doe tags but the freezer is full.

junebug
Re: late muzzleloader season [Re: junebug] #97648 12/11/2011 11:19 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
My deer season just ended......the thinnest I've had in a l-o-n-g time! Only tagged one little buck. Hunted hard the last two days and only produced little bucks to shoot at when all I had was two doe tags. Signed, Bummed in SWPA.
;\)

Really though, I did something this year that I never do....passed up shots in early inline ML season just because I didn't feel like butchering a deer in the warmer October weather...won't do that again! All is well though.....still had fun and can't wait for next year.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: late muzzleloader season [Re: Dan B.] #97656 12/11/2011 2:37 PM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
today is our last day for the regular season, then we have 9 days of BP, will be carrying the patriot, but the season has been strange indeed I don't anticipate I will see horns in my comfort zone with that, so i will also carry the scout carbine- my girls are wishing for venbison sausage snacks- to keep things happy on the homefront. been watchin for a ml barrel for the encore but they are pretty scarce.

Re: late muzzleloader season [Re: HoggHunter] #97659 12/11/2011 3:02 PM
bigbore442001 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I missed the whole shotgun season here in Massachusetts( Dad was in the hospital and we're still working on the old house as well as the final touches of moving into it) but the muzzleloader starts tommorrow, Monday the 12th of December. I am able to hunt after work but that leaves only one and a half hours in the field due to the short days of winter.

Re: late muzzleloader season [Re: junebug] #97662 12/11/2011 3:20 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
She said he was a lottttt bigger when she shot him.

Don't they all ;-)

Success is not always measured by the size of the harvest.

Congrat's!

I went empty this year.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: late muzzleloader season [Re: Dan B.] #97715 12/12/2011 3:24 AM
archr610 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: Dan B.
My deer season just ended......the thinnest I've had in a l-o-n-g time! Only tagged one little buck. Hunted hard the last two days and only produced little bucks to shoot at when all I had was two doe tags. Signed, Bummed in SWPA.
;\)

Really though, I did something this year that I never do....passed up shots in early inline ML season just because I didn't feel like butchering a deer in the warmer October weather...won't do that again! All is well though.....still had fun and can't wait for next year.

Pa has a late Flintlock season Dan. Just somethin' to think about.
My frontloader has saved me from an empty freezer more that once.

Last edited by archr610; 12/12/2011 3:27 AM.

Support bacteria:
It's the only culture some people have
Re: late muzzleloader season [Re: archr610] #97752 12/12/2011 3:01 PM
WildShot Offline
stranger
stranger
Congrats to the wife on her buck!

I really wanted to chase deer with the muzzleloading handgun this year but too much leaf blowing has left me with a bad case of tennis elbow. Can’t hold the big heavy gun out at arm’s length and the recoil is painful so I’ve been carrying the longer gun. Saw a few over the weekend but no shot taken. Could use another doe for the freezer, don’t think I will be able to stay in the office all day today. Gotta get back to the woods…

Re: late muzzleloader season [Re: WildShot] #97799 12/12/2011 10:11 PM
chiefs50 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Our Michigan season ended Sunday. I got a nice buck during the regular firearms season but my brothers still had their tags. As is usually the case during the late season, we saw a number of does/young ones but no shootable bucks. Nonetheless, we had a good time. Our camp is a traditional camp with no inlines or other newfangled contraptions encouraged. My gun of choice is a .62 caliber smoothbore flintlock.

CSM, Retired
I believe in science and reason, not some invisible guy in the sky.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod