Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trigger Pull reduction kit ? #7328 02/09/2005 8:46 PM
fanner50 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Does anyone know where I can get a TPR kit for the Ruger SBH? Brownells doesn't show one that I can find.

Re: Trigger Pull reduction kit ? [Re: fanner50] #7329 02/10/2005 12:00 AM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't know if anyone specifically sells one as such. I believe that Power Custom offers something of the sort in the way of a replacement trigger and hammer that have had a "trigger job" done on them. The cost of this pair is quite a bit more than you would pay to have your trigger done by a competent gunsmith.

In truth, to reduce the trigger pull and smooth up the action, you need to reduce the weight of the trigger return spring, remove rough spots on the internal cast parts and polish as appropriate, apply trigger grease where necessary, and work on the sear engagement surfaces. All of those items will smooth the action and reduce the trigger pull.

You can do a cheap and easy trigger job on your own by simply removing the grip panels. With the grip panels off, notice the "legs" of the trigger return spring on the top of each side of the grip frame. They are resting on the two protruding silver posts. Using a small pair of needle nose pliers, gently lift one leg off its post and carefully bend the end of the spring "up" toward the hammer. You want to create the "new" bend in the spring about 1/4" from where the current one is. You will be creating a sort of "dogleg" in the spring. Now place the leg of the spring back on the post. Repeat the process for the other side. Go easy at first and bend a little more if you want to try some more. Worst case scenario is that you ruin the trigger return spring and need to buy a replacement. If so, it is a cheap lesson.

You could also buy a replacement trigger return spring and reduced power hammer spring from Wolfe. I am, however, reluctant to use reduced power hammer springs unless absolutely necessary. I can usually improve the trigger pull on a BH sufficiently with a regular power hammer spring installed.

If you don't want to experiment on your own, shop around. You can probably find a local smith to do a good trigger job for you. Expect to pay $50 - $100. It will be money well spent.

Stush
Re: Trigger Pull reduction kit ? [Re: fanner50] #7330 02/10/2005 12:07 AM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
Man I thought Brownell's would have one. I've seen them before from a few companies. They carry Wolf kits. Try this part #080 665-106. Hope this helps.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: Trigger Pull reduction kit ? [Re: fanner50] #7331 02/10/2005 12:20 AM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
i just got one from brownell's not to long ago. you might want to call up there, i'm sure somebody will help you. it was well worth it... the trigger pull is so much better now!! GOOD LUCK!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Trigger Pull reduction kit ? [Re: magman] #7332 02/10/2005 12:26 AM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yep. Those are the Wolfe springs. The only one that is really necessary to reduce the trigger pull is the trigger return spring. I believe that it available by itself directly from Wolfe for $8 ( Wolfe link... ). Try bending the legs on your existing springs first if you choose to go this route. If you ruin it, buy the $8 replacement one. Bending the factory spring will give you the same result.

Again, I tend to stay away from the reduced power hammer springs unless absolutely necessary. They will have two effects:

1) They increase your lock time slightly.

2) They reduce the amount of energy being transferred to the firing pin and can cause misfires.

Neither of these will likely cause you a problem, but I always envision a guy dropping the hammer on the hunt of a lifetime only to hear a click because of a weaker hammer spring. Likely to happen? Probably not, but it isn't necessary to get a good trigger job so why take a chance?

Stush
Re: Trigger Pull reduction kit ? [Re: fanner50] #7333 02/10/2005 1:18 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I order my springs direct from wolff, I use a 30oz trigger and an extra power base pin latch. I also have used the brownells round hammer strut and that does smooth the hammer pull, it comes with a 17lb spring but you can replace it with an extra power hammer spring if you wish. I've done all of my rugers this way and am also going to install them in my reeder customs as my blackhawks are smoother than they are.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Trigger Pull reduction kit ? [Re: fanner50] #7334 02/10/2005 5:42 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
just a little addtl info. my springs came in the mail today and it took me all of 15 min to install them in my 475. now gary reeders stuff is already top notch but I installed the 30oz trigger spring and the round strut with a 23lb hammer spring to maintain locktime(i may increase that one) but it took 3/4 of a lb off the trigger, down to a sweet 2lbs, which is about where all my rugers sit after the upgrade.

go to gunsprings.com for the wolff springs

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod