Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cheap oryx hunt #97928 12/14/2011 7:09 AM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
just giving anyone out there a quick heads up. i know a ranch owner that has about 1000 head of scimitar horned oryx, and some beautiful huge scimitar/gemsbock hybrids. they are running meat hunts which are females with a broken horn for 500 bucks, trophies i believe, are 1700 but they are huge, some near 50". it is as close to a guaranteed hunt as possible, they are doing this b/c of the texas drought and they badly need to reduce the herd. if ya want a tough hunt, go to the texana ranch, or ask them to hunt on foot here. but if ya'd like to give your pistol a try and get some outstanding meat, let me know and i'll put you in touch with them. they are in gail texas.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #97946 12/14/2011 5:00 PM
Boartuff Offline
addict
addict
Sounds fun to me. Wish I could do it.

~BT~
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: Boartuff] #97972 12/15/2011 1:02 AM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
With pending CITES legislation, the Scimitar Horned Oryx cannot be hunted after December 31, 2011. Not so with the hybrids. They will get cheaper before the end of the month. We were at the YO ranch two weeks ago, and they were also having a fire sale on the remainder of their Oryx herd.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: Sawfish] #97975 12/15/2011 1:33 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
this crap is getting old, Oregon fought with the one and only exotic ranch we had for 15yrs until a federal judge told them to back off. They ended up making an endrun around the courts and fish and wildlife re classified his animals as Oregon Wildlife which included aisian buff, fallow, auodad, russian boar and sika. I may have missed one or two but now they are down to bison, feral hogs and turkeys.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: wapitirod] #97991 12/15/2011 3:04 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
How is this not a hunting topic?? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: Whitworth] #97999 12/15/2011 4:26 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I wondered the same thing about my elk post when I posted all those pics of the elk and Gary said it was because it wasn't actually about "handgun" hunting.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: wapitirod] #98001 12/15/2011 4:43 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Perhaps is meant more for hunting stories and such.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: s4s4u] #98005 12/15/2011 5:22 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Perhaps is meant more for hunting stories and such.

I believe so, as well as questions specific for hunting with a handgun

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: wapitirod] #98010 12/15/2011 3:15 PM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
actually they said they were somehow exempt b/c of the age of the herd. not sure how that works but they said that it had something to do with some rule with how old and established the herd was.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #98017 12/15/2011 4:58 PM
TexasVine Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
just giving anyone out there a quick heads up. i know a ranch owner that has about 1000 head of scimitar horned oryx, and some beautiful huge scimitar/gemsbock hybrids. they are running meat hunts which are females with a broken horn for 500 bucks, trophies i believe, are 1700 but they are huge, some near 50". it is as close to a guaranteed hunt as possible, they are doing this b/c of the texas drought and they badly need to reduce the herd. if ya want a tough hunt, go to the texana ranch, or ask them to hunt on foot here. but if ya'd like to give your pistol a try and get some outstanding meat, let me know and i'll put you in touch with them. they are in gail texas.

Do they have a wed page? Interested in obtaining information on the hunt.

TexasVine
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #98023 12/15/2011 10:23 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
actually they said they were somehow exempt b/c of the age of the herd. not sure how that works but they said that it had something to do with some rule with how old and established the herd was.

"...SUMMARY: We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), propose to revise the regulations that implement the Endangered Species Act (Act). This action would eliminate the exclusion of
U.S. captive-bred live wildlife and sport-hunted trophies of three endangered antelopes—scimitar-horned oryx (Oryx dammah), addax (Addax nasomaculatus), and dama gazelle (Gazella dama)—from certain prohibited activities, such as take and export, under the Act. This proposed change to the regulations is in response to a court order that found that the rule for these three species violated section 10(c) of the Act. These three antelope species remain listed as endangered under the Act, and a person would need to qualify for an exemption or obtain an
authorization under the current statutory and regulatory requirements to conduct any prohibited activities
..."

The latest information that I can find indicated that unless something extraordinary takes place, individuals wishing to hunt these animals will have to apply for permits on a case by case basis after 12/31/2011.

Patron Member NRA;
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: Sawfish] #98026 12/15/2011 11:24 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
"...SUMMARY: We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), propose to revise the regulations that implement the Endangered Species Act (Act). This action would eliminate the exclusion of
U.S. captive-bred live wildlife and sport-hunted trophies of three endangered antelopes—scimitar-horned oryx (Oryx dammah), addax (Addax nasomaculatus), and dama gazelle (Gazella dama)—from certain prohibited activities, such as take and export, under the Act. This proposed change to the regulations is in response to a court order that found that the rule for these three species violated section 10(c) of the Act. These three antelope species remain listed as endangered under the Act, and a person would need to qualify for an exemption or obtain an
authorization under the current statutory and regulatory requirements to conduct any prohibited activities
..."

Who thunk that one up??? If they didn't breed them they wouldn't exist anyway so what is the difference if they slaughter and eat what they created. I see it as no different than if they were cattle. Just another case of some anti's finding a hole they could exploit.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: s4s4u] #98045 12/16/2011 3:12 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
They aren't even indiginous to this country and if it's like alot of these types of animals we have more of them in Texas than in their native country and if they aren't managed they will do what any animals does and start dieing from natural selection. With no predation and hunting the herd will eventually outgrow their high fence property and die off from disease. If we don't balance the numbers nature will.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: s4s4u] #98095 12/16/2011 8:30 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
 Quote:
If they didn't breed them they wouldn't exist anyway

That is exactly the point the USFWS is pushing to retain the status quo. The Blackbuck Antelope and Axis Deer from India, and Red Sheep from Iran were re-established in their native countries using breed stock raised on Texas Ranches.

PETA and Friends of Animals brought the underlying lawsuit to nix the exemption on the basis that Scimitar Horned Oryx are extinct in their native countries. Latest information suggests that might not be true. Rumor has it that some of the captive breeders in Africa turned their stock out into the wild, which resulted in the extinct population growing to over 1,000 overnight. It looks like this one will play out right down to the wire.

Last edited by Gary; 12/17/2011 4:10 AM. Reason: fixed the quote

Patron Member NRA;
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: Sawfish] #98098 12/16/2011 9:39 PM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
PETA is retarded. the ranchers in texas will most likely let them starve, turn them loose, but nothing will really help them. really we're coming down to that line in the sand and i really hope one day my home state here secedes. the idea is growing more and more popular.

Last edited by tradmark; 12/16/2011 9:39 PM.
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #98308 12/19/2011 4:48 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I just got an update from the Exotic Wildlife Assn. (EWA) - the prohibition on shooting oryx after Dec 31 is a net rumor. The USFWS has not issued a ruling yet on the disposition (exemption) for allowing oryx to be hunting in Texas (and I assume other areas having a captive population).

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: Gary] #98377 12/20/2011 10:47 PM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
i also got a good chance to discuss this with the ranchers and it seems that most if not all of their oryx are to some degree a hybrid as well. they have some that appear as a straight scimitar horned oryx but have some slight, difference in markings that i had not originally noticed. the animals range in the spectrum from appearing nearly pure scimitar horned to obvious dark grey and brick red hybrids. really really beautiful. they saw this coming a mile a way years ago and found a good way to circumvent this problem. the meat is great btw. my daughter shot hers with a .243 with barnes vortex loads to great effect, my son used a 375 HH. i finished my cousins with a 454 "hardcast" load, which i will show pics of under the thread title "when hardcasts fail" when i get the pics downloaded.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #102069 02/01/2012 5:48 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
Final USFWS Ruling. Ruling will likely decimate the remaining stocks of these species in the U.S.

http://thecentershot.wordpress.com/tag/scimitar-horned-oryx/

Patron Member NRA;
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: Sawfish] #102072 02/01/2012 7:17 PM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
yup, 60 minutes did a good positive hunting story on these and had the head of Friends of Animals on there. she flatly said that she'd rather them be extinct than exist to be hunted. unreal.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #102076 02/01/2012 7:46 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
The ranch which we hunt every year (Y O Ranch)with our little handgun group has all of these in addition to many other species (including the barashingha). To my knowledge they have never been allowed to "hunt" a barashingha. However, a barasingha bull killed one of their employees a few years ago.

That attack did not happen in the "open" and the bull was not from that ranch. Rather it was in an unloading alley during their annual exotic wildlife sale and the bull had been hauled in by another person. The young man who was killed had guided on our annual hunt during the previous weekend.

It is a shame that many have no common sense when animals are involved. The "do gooders" may cause the death of more animals than do the hunters.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: wtroper] #102081 02/01/2012 9:54 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
After I read the above, I called Debbie at the Y O to confirm. She said, "Yes, after April 4, no more hunting of these species without a federal permit." She also said, "We are shooting h*** out of them now. Wanna come down & get one?" Apparently the ranch is inundated with hunters for them. Debbie told me that one gentleman had called and asked if they would shoot one for him. He could not get away to come & hunt himself, but he would pay the trophy fee if one of the employees would go shoot one. He wanted the cape.

Debbie forwarded to me the "60 minute segment" that trademark cited. If anyone would like to see it, link is below.

60 minutes

Last edited by wtroper; 02/01/2012 9:57 PM.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: wtroper] #102083 02/01/2012 10:28 PM
claytonfaulkner Offline
So are there really good deals right now, or coming up?

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: claytonfaulkner] #102085 02/01/2012 10:45 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
Clayton,

With the current demand for the oryx at the Y O, I doubt that the price for a real trophy would be discounted. However, you might give Debbie a call & talk to her --- phone 1-800- YORANCH.

Nothing on their website indicates special pricing at the moment. Those with broken horns are usually significantly discounted, & Woodbury can fix them.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: wtroper] #102091 02/01/2012 11:52 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
There was a significant discount on Scimitar Horned Oryx when we were at the YO in December, but there have been quite a few killed since then, so troper may be correct about the current status. As he said, call and ask.

Patron Member NRA;
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: Sawfish] #102095 02/02/2012 12:09 AM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
Sawfish,

When we were there in Sept, one could deal with them on the oryx. My cousin took a broken horn bull at a very reasonable (cheap) price. Since I am in the middle of tax season & cannot go now, I did not push Debbie about the prices. (I did not want to be too tempted). If I had, she would have leveled with me. Because I have assumed the coordination of our little group (by default) and she has been moved out of tourism, we have become pretty good friends over the past couple of years or so. However, I also understand that she does not make the "hard" decisions. LOL In the right situation, a lot of things have "discounts."

I presume that you were there with the handgun group. I have been told that that group might not go back. Any thoughts on that subject?

Last edited by wtroper; 02/02/2012 12:15 AM.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: wtroper] #102119 02/02/2012 3:14 AM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
the thing that the ranch i go to did, by mistake, and at the time they were upset, now it's a saving grace, is that they had a few gemsbock bulls in the mix about 15 years ago which completely interbred, some are brown and dark, some still have distinct scimitar horned characteristics. as they put it, we want to shoot the heck out of the "white" ones but they are in the process of getting the whole herd certified as mixed so hopefully the restrictions won't apply. there may be some court challenges as well in the future b/c there's issues with private stock etc. but we'll just have to see. the ace in the hole is while they can't be hunted they can be turned loose. once theres thousands running around the state, and nothing in the wilds of texas kills these things, it'll be a state vs feds issue which is never cut and dried in texas as it is in many other states. it will be very interesting to see how this finally plays itself out.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #102127 02/02/2012 3:50 AM
claytonfaulkner Offline
the thing that the ranch i go to did, by mistake, and at the time they were upset, now it's a saving grace, is that they had a few gemsbock bulls in the mix about 15 years ago which completely interbred, some are brown and dark, some still have distinct scimitar horned characteristics. as they put it, we want to shoot the heck out of the "white" ones but they are in the process of getting the whole herd certified as mixed so hopefully the restrictions won't apply. there may be some court challenges as well in the future b/c there's issues with private stock etc. but we'll just have to see. the ace in the hole is while they can't be hunted they can be turned loose. once theres thousands running around the state, and nothing in the wilds of texas kills these things, it'll be a state vs feds issue which is never cut and dried in texas as it is in many other states. it will be very interesting to see how this finally plays itself out.

It is not ok to let an exotic animal loose.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: claytonfaulkner] #102129 02/02/2012 4:28 AM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
yup but it's not also ok to tell a land owner that they have to feed, take care of, and look after these animals when they can do nothing with them. i'm not trying to justify it but it's a natural consequence of govt intervention into the business' of land owners private stock so to speak. sometime drive at night through the hill country of texas, there's herds of hundreds of axis that will cross the road infront of you, sometimes oryx, sometimes elk, sometimes things cross i'm not sure what they are. they run free here and escape at times. there was a hurricane that hit years ago and destroyed many of the fences and the animals got out. the govt program to help landowners put up the fences was cancelled and many were never ever repaired. heck, i got an elk on my game cam this year 50 miles south of lubbock, had an oryx and a few other animals on there that aren't supposed to be here.

Last edited by tradmark; 02/02/2012 4:29 AM.
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #102130 02/02/2012 4:30 AM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
it may seem wrong, and i understand that but imho it pales in comparison to the cobras, pythons and other very very deadly venomous things running around florida.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #102131 02/02/2012 4:36 AM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
i was just led to this link, it appears to be relatively good news

http://www.fws.gov/international/DMA_DSA/pdf/USFWSThreeAntelope-MythsandFacts.pdf

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #102139 02/02/2012 12:35 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Bureaucratic rat-bastards and anti hunting PETA and HSUS penis-lacking agitators have thoroughly fugged up a real conservation success story. With no intent to criticize your view, I see no "relatively good news" about it.
Harsh? If this wasn't a public forum, I'd tell you what I really think!

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #102140 02/02/2012 1:04 PM
claytonfaulkner Offline
yup but it's not also ok to tell a land owner that they have to feed, take care of, and look after these animals when they can do nothing with them.

That same argument can be made about any animal. Dogs, cats, pigs, pythons. Look where that has got us. I hate seeing dogs and cats in the woods. I wish I could shoot them. They have no place. Same with hogs but I have never actually seen one.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: claytonfaulkner] #102143 02/02/2012 2:35 PM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
the good news is that it appears it won't be very expensive for a landowner to get an exception and it seems to be relatively easy to keep hunting going for them per land owner, and yes i'm pissed at any bunny huggers getting the feds to interfere at all in this type of thing.

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: tradmark] #102154 02/02/2012 6:25 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
The thing that jumps out at me on the publication meant to ease concerns is that it is no different than what the current administration is doing to small business all over. Yes, it looks like the cost is not substancial. Yes, it looks like the time period for review/acceptance is reasonable. But this is the government, and how hard would it be to think that at some point the fees will go up, and the time lag will get crazy. It would not take an act of congress for these to happen "administratively".

What I see is that anyone with a population is likely to play along, and see how it goes. Anyone thinking of getting into this business, they are going to see red tape and uncertainty and have to factor this into any decision. That light might just be a train.....

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: Bearbait in NM] #102191 02/03/2012 3:04 AM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I am glad that 60 minutes got the anti person saying that they would rather have them wiped out... hopefully more than a few people took notice. Its sad that some stupid decision like that has to basically be a death sentence to the species.

A little different context, but larger scale, look at Kenya, once it closed its doors to hunting in 1970 the animals did not have any value to people so poaching sky- rocketed. sad to say, but people in this day and age have to see a value in wildlife in order to not wipe them or their habitat out.

I don't blame the oryx owners, it is just a stupid law that should not have made it to the books.

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: BBwheelgunner] #102241 02/03/2012 12:49 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Re Kenya:
When terrorist Jomo Kenyatta got out of prison and became Kenya's 1st president, his wife and daughter Margaret RAN the elephant poaching and sale of poached ivory from Kenya!

Re: cheap oryx hunt [Re: 500WE] #102252 02/03/2012 4:11 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
and isn't that twisted! geez...

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod