Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"neck turnng" #7335 02/09/2005 9:43 PM
nmhunter Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I am not talking about what you do walking down the street!!!
How many of you turn the necks on your brass before loading? can you see a difference in accuracy?
looking for any and all data.
nmhunter

Re: "neck turnng" [Re: nmhunter] #7336 02/10/2005 1:02 AM
huntkng Offline
addict
addict
I only neck turn my competion rounds. Hunting rounds and practise rounds I don't worry about. Minute of deer or elk is much different then minute of steel chicken, pig, turkey or ram. When you punch a hole in a game animal you have 6" to 14" of kill zone. If they leak on both sides of the lungs you'll have venison in the freezer.

Bill in OR

Re: "neck turnng" [Re: nmhunter] #7337 02/10/2005 1:43 AM
Gascheck Offline
Neck turning benefits have been a debate for years. I've been reading more and more about experienced loaders who are abandoning the practise. Some like Rick Jamison from Shooting Times go as far as to say that of all the case prep techniques (case weighing, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole uniforming, ect.) that neck turning yields the least benefit.

Re: "neck turnng" [Re: nmhunter] #7338 02/10/2005 2:24 AM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
No benefit that I can see for the average shooter. Now, if you have something like a 6PPC bench gun with a tight neck, then you have no choice. Otherwise, save your time and spend it shooting!

Stush
Re: "neck turnng" [Re: Stush] #7339 02/10/2005 1:13 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
If you don't have a tight neck chamber to begin with and are not shooting comp, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: "neck turnng" [Re: nmhunter] #7340 02/10/2005 7:54 PM
brc Offline
stranger
stranger
Neck turning will not provide any great benefit to most hunting rifle chambers. One of the first things to do before deciding to neck turn is to know the neck diameter of a loaded round of ammo and the neck diameter of a piece of brass fired in the gun. I personally use .003 as a miximum difference. To neck turn when the difference is greater than this will in all liklihood not yield any benefit. In fact it may lead to a degradation in accuracy as well as shorter brass life due to overworking the brass in the reloading process. It is beneficial though to know the neck diameter differences in a particular gun. Most factory guns have reasonably large neck diameters to accommodate the array of ammo available. Some companies though will ream their chambers close to minimal SAAMI specs. This is the chamber where neck turning may do some good. For example Cooper's and 40X's. Another variable has to do with the thickness of the brass itself. For instance Lapau brass is generally much thicker than most other brands. Thus giving tighter chamber fit. The variability of the wall thickness of the brass is also a consideration in deciding to neck turn. When the variance is over a couple thousandths it is probably beneficial to clean up the necks. This is accomplished by removing brass from about 75% of the neck. What is accomplished here is more consistant bullet seating tension which is a definite aid in accuracy shooting. Also more concentric fit of the round in the chamber.

Re: "neck turnng" [Re: brc] #7341 02/11/2005 4:15 AM
slavage Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
well when i got my trimmer i won it came with the outside neck turne its a lyman accuiline, an sence it only takes a few mins more than usual for my rifles i do it
hell i nead every brake i can get when you shoot as bad as i do lol but sence its only a little more time i dont see how it wouldent hurt any thing above that is a plus

Re: "neck turnng" [Re: nmhunter] #7342 02/11/2005 7:23 PM
Cossack Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Only if I have to. My 6/284 has a match chamber so I must and Lake City militry brass for my 223 needs it after firing just once because the neck brass gets too thick.

Re: "neck turnng" [Re: Cossack] #7343 02/12/2005 6:52 AM
sscoyote Offline
addict
addict
I've had a couple tight-necked handguns, but the last 1 i had built had what is common;y referred to as a "match" neck, in which the neck of the chamber is within a few thousandths of the brass i'm using. Tighter than SAAMI, but looser than a tight-neck chambering. I'll also be getting some Lee collet dies to help with consistent neck tension.

Steve
Re: "neck turnng" [Re: nmhunter] #7344 02/12/2005 1:06 PM
mstake Offline
stranger
stranger
i neck turn all my brass 3006 243 308(for my encore)223 22 250 and even 30-30. yeah i think that most are getting away from it now that the bushing dies have really caught on.but in thery truning you brass and using a bushing dies are both the same! why i do it is not for chamber fit more then die fit. bushing die work so that when you resize using bushing it sizes your neck a thousands or to smaller then your bullet diameter. neck turning take a little more work but you are taking off the outside so when you size your neck in a regular dies it sizes it a little less.a plus to this is there is not as much force on the expander plug and neck sometimes come out more concentirc. as far as how long the brass will last, well how cares as long as it shoots good! now if i was just starting out i would use bushing dies because turning is time consuming, but if you have a pile of regular dies i would try neck turning, cheaper! i do believe that the more you work with a case and reloading(turning,reaming,dedurrng and so on)the more intune you can get with your reloading. on a personal note i like reloading and find it fun. so i enjoy playing around doing all those things that bench rest shooter do!we all strive for accuracy for one reason or the other, bragging rights, personal best or for a lot of us, ONE SHOT ONE KILL!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod