Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! #98131 12/17/2011 5:33 PM
243fan Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I recieved my new Leupold FXII 2x for my Ruger SBH Hunter. I opened the box to examine the scope before mounting it and the crosshairs were obviously canted. I am very surprised and disappointed. I have never had an issue with a Leupold scope. I can't imagine how this issue got past quality control and packaged for sale...the crosshair were THAT crooked.

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: 243fan] #98135 12/17/2011 5:56 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Every now and then one gets by... send it back and they'll fix it but I know that's disappointing.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: Gary] #98136 12/17/2011 8:11 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I got some leupold rings the other day that did not have the threaded holes for the screws

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: 243fan] #98140 12/17/2011 8:56 PM
nytracker Offline
addict
addict
Never ever heard of that from leupold.Dont think I would settle for a never fired scope for a repare. I would demand new .I am sure they would make good .I have no scopes for hand guns ... yet
But I have more than a few rifle scopes some of them over 20 years old .. and all as good as new.

Save liberals from them selves, stich their sphincter closed so they cant talk out their arse
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: nytracker] #98141 12/17/2011 9:02 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yep I have seen that too. Just goes to show you even with a good product like Leupold and Burris, it happens now and then.

I feel your pain, disappointing to say the least...
Still a good scope,A LOT of people swear by them

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: BBwheelgunner] #98147 12/17/2011 10:33 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
yep I have seen it several times, if I remember correctly they allow for up to 4 degrees of canting but sometimes they miss one. The nice thing though is so far I've never had as good of customer service as I've had from them.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: BBwheelgunner] #98148 12/17/2011 10:34 PM
243fan Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I ordered the scope from a "major outdoor equipment supplier". They will be exchanging it for a new one. It is disappointing, but the Leupold FXII 2x is a perfect complement to the SBH Hunter. Should have the problem remedied by the middle of next week.....

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: 243fan] #98152 12/17/2011 11:26 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Like Gary said above "its disappointing but will be fixed". With the very few handgun scopes being made by todays scope manufacturers, Leupold has to be rated near the top. We don`t have much to choose from...Wish Redfield would re-introduce their line of handgun scopes.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: jamesfromjersey] #98159 12/18/2011 12:14 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Like Gary said above "its disappointing but will be fixed". With the very few handgun scopes being made by todays scope manufacturers, Leupold has to be rated near the top. We don`t have much to choose from...Wish Redfield would re-introduce their line of handgun scopes.

Redfield is owned by Leupold now but it would be nice if they would make a less expensive line of Handgun scopes along the lines of Nikon or Bushnell Elite's, or even Weaver quality isn't bad.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: wapitirod] #98167 12/18/2011 1:17 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
a lot of people would drag burris thru the mud over such. nobody....no company.... is perfect. i think either one would take care of a "situation".

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: KYODE] #98170 12/18/2011 1:56 AM
doulos Offline
I had a Burris on a Contender in .357 max. First shot and the cross wires went crooked. Sent it back it was fixed and it turned out to be a great scope. I would never hesitate to buy another.
Also had a Leupold that didnt seem to hold zero sent that back it came back perfect. And still is perfect 10 years later.
A shop I frequent that is a Leupold dealer told me that when a scope is returned, they dont take the time to figure out whats wrong they just rebuild it so they can get it back to the customer faster. Dont know if its true but it makes sense.

A product is only as good as its warranty and the makers customer service. You could have anything built by the best craftsman, with the best techniques and materials and it isnt worth spit if its a big hassle to get it fixed when something goes wrong.

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: doulos] #98174 12/18/2011 2:50 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The only issue I had with burris is they went through about a 3 or 4 year period where I was hearing about alot of failures but it seems like the complaints have died down. They probably dropped the ball on quality control but got it back in line. The only other thing I don't like is just the physical size and weight although I love the 3-12 as it's a nice bridge between the standard max 6-8X and jumping up to rifle scopes.

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: wapitirod] #98214 12/18/2011 3:42 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"a lot of people would drag burris thru the mud over such. nobody....no company.... is perfect. i think either one would take care of a "situation"."

It's true i see that a lot, but I have two Burris scopes, one of which failed right away (bought it about 5 or 6 years ago) and I had it back in a week and it has been dead on ever since.

I like my Burris', especially the 1.5-4x. I think its the perect power for a hunting revolver. Like Rod said though, I wish it was a little shorter

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: H2OBUG] #98228 12/18/2011 7:33 PM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: H2OBUG
I got some leupold rings the other day that did not have the threaded holes for the screws

The threads are on back-order and will be shipped separate.

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: Pasco] #98231 12/18/2011 8:41 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
The problems I have had with Burris pistol scopes have been soft tubes. Rings destroy them fast even on a .44.

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: Pasco] #98234 12/18/2011 10:06 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Pasco

Hahahaha!!!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: 430man] #98235 12/18/2011 10:07 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Pasco-- I was thinking it was the new weld on scope rings

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: H2OBUG] #98268 12/19/2011 1:53 AM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
Oh, weld on rings, better get them on right the 1st time...

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: Pasco] #98280 12/19/2011 3:44 AM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Pasco
 Originally Posted By: H2OBUG

I had a can of that somewhere on the bench, can't remember where I got it from and can't remember where I put it, but it woulda worked well if if I'd used it.

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: KYODE] #98322 12/19/2011 9:13 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: KYODE
a lot of people would drag burris thru the mud over such. nobody....no company.... is perfect. i think either one would take care of a "situation".

It's true that every company makes mistakes. You can believe that today, I'm a Burris "mud dragger". Here's why:

In October, a week before I was to leave on a hunt, my Burris 2-7X LER Handgun scope failed on the XP-100 that I planned to use. I returned it to Burris, explained the problem, asked that it be repaired, and asked that a Ballistic Plex reticle be installed, enclosing a check for the reticle change. Such failures are aggravating, but hey ... stuff happens.
One month later, the scope was returned without a ballistic plex reticle. I called and they acknowledged they had returned it UNTOUCHED. No repairs, nothing. "Must have fallen through the crack" the Customer Service person said cheerily. I returned it again. This time to his attention, with their UPS tag.

I month later. it was returned with a worksheet. When I looked through the scope I was shocked! The graduations on the ballistic plex were HALF the distance from the crosshair of my other 4 handgun scope ballistic plex Burris's. They had obviously installed an incorrect (probably rifle) reticle.
I called 'em again. The Customer Service person asked me if I'd shot it. I told him I hadn't and didn't need to - it was obvious it wouldn't shoot to the "proper" point with those "1/2 distance" graduations.
He then:
1. Assured me it would track properly. Despite repeated explanations he couldn't / wouldn't understand how I could know it wouldn't shoot where it "should"...half distance graduations and all.
2. Told me he knew the housing must be different because Burris doesn't make any LER scopes anymore (!!!!!)
3. Refused to connect me with the Customer Service Mgr. or General Mgr.
4. Told me about their only LER scope being a rifle scope.
5. Told me he'd like me to tell him where in their catalogue I found a LER Handgun scope to order recently (they're on pg. 3 of their price list section)
6. Told me to be calm - probably the wrong thing to say even if you're dumber than Hell.

Finally ... "oh it's a handgun scope ..."

I have little confidence it will be fixed properly. But it's going back tomorrow or the next day ...again.

You will not experience this with your Leupold.

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: 500WE] #98327 12/19/2011 11:58 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Ken, This guy really stuck it to you....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: 500WE] #98330 12/20/2011 12:16 AM
doulos Offline
 Originally Posted By: 500WE
 Originally Posted By: KYODE

It's true that every company makes mistakes. You can believe that today, I'm a Burris "mud dragger". Here's why:

In October, a week before I was to leave on a hunt, my Burris 2-7X LER Handgun scope failed on the XP-100 that I planned to use. I returned it to Burris, explained the problem, asked that it be repaired, and asked that a Ballistic Plex reticle be installed, enclosing a check for the reticle change. Such failures are aggravating, but hey ... stuff happens.
One month later, the scope was returned without a ballistic plex reticle. I called and they acknowledged they had returned it UNTOUCHED. No repairs, nothing. "Must have fallen through the crack" the Customer Service person said cheerily. I returned it again. This time to his attention, with their UPS tag.

I month later. it was returned with a worksheet. When I looked through the scope I was shocked! The graduations on the ballistic plex were HALF the distance from the crosshair of my other 4 handgun scope ballistic plex Burris's. They had obviously installed an incorrect (probably rifle) reticle.
I called 'em again. The Customer Service person asked me if I'd shot it. I told him I hadn't and didn't need to - it was obvious it wouldn't shoot to the "proper" point with those "1/2 distance" graduations.
He then:
1. Assured me it would track properly. Despite repeated explanations he couldn't / wouldn't understand how I could know it wouldn't shoot where it "should"...half distance graduations and all.
2. Told me he knew the housing must be different because Burris doesn't make any LER scopes anymore (!!!!!)
3. Refused to connect me with the Customer Service Mgr. or General Mgr.
4. Told me about their only LER scope being a rifle scope.
5. Told me he'd like me to tell him where in their catalogue I found a LER Handgun scope to order recently (they're on pg. 3 of their price list section)
6. Told me to be calm - probably the wrong thing to say even if you're dumber than Hell.

Finally ... "oh it's a handgun scope ..."

I have little confidence it will be fixed properly. But it's going back tomorrow or the next day ...again.

You will not experience this with your Leupold.

WOW!! That is horrible customer service. That would only have to happen to me once. I admire your patience. My only contact or need for Burris customer service was about 20 yrs ago and it was much different.

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: doulos] #98331 12/20/2011 12:37 AM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Uff Dah.... That sucks 500WE.
sounds like that person's first day on the job. I have worked in customer service before and they did a bunch of no-no's as you pointed out. I hope they take care of you this time around. It shouldn't take that long to get it taken care of.

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: BBwheelgunner] #98332 12/20/2011 12:51 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I doubt it was his first day on the job and I spoke too soon because this is "exactly" the kind of stuff that was happening during the mass failures. I personally have started buying Bushnells since every extra dime I have is going into tooling for my business and I can't complain, they aren't quite as sharp as the Leupold and I'd be surprised if customer service is as good as Leupold but for the price they are hard to beat. I've had them on 454's, 475's and 500 Linebaughs in revolvers and everything from the 7-30 to my 458win mag on single shots and never had a problem yet.

Re: New Leupold....crooked crosshairs!!! [Re: wapitirod] #98855 12/27/2011 7:22 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
I had a similar experience with a Leupold Red Dot sight (Delta Point) earlier this year. I ordered it from Midway. I mounted it on my gun, and proceeded to do some practicing around the yard checking brightness etc. Bottom line was that when the dot went into sleep mode, it would not turn back on. Had to pull the battery. I was afraid that it would have to go to Leupold directly for repair/replacement, but I sent it back to Midway with a letter explaining. Had a new dot back to me from Midway in a couple of days.

Moral for me, Leupold would have certainly repaired it, but Midway was awsome with their Customer Service. I do not get too bent around the axle when I get something defective, for me it is about customer service, and having Midway in the middle sure worked out great.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod