Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Handgun Hunting Around the World #98597 12/23/2011 8:06 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I am going to start off with "God bless the USA", I feel fortunate to have been born here with all the freedoms we have.

I was thinking the other night how Handgun hunters have to be one of the most restricted out of any of the hunting methods. We cannot even enter some countries with our firearms, yet alone hunt with them there.

I guess I haven't thought about it much because it is just the way it has been, but it stinks... Just think of all of the hunting opportunities that would open up to us if Canada alone would open to handgun hunting?

Its sad that when we are looking at hunts, We can't even consider all of the opportunities held by our friendly neighbors to the north. I know it would open some doors wide open for me.

Are there any other areas (maybe in Africa for example?) that you guys would like to see open up to handgun hunting? (no matter how unlikely)

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: BBwheelgunner] #98598 12/23/2011 8:53 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Canada would be a start in the right direction...we messed up in 1812, should be part of the USA....

Last edited by jamesfromjersey; 12/23/2011 9:06 PM.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: jamesfromjersey] #98599 12/23/2011 9:11 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
lol yes good form James. I know all of Canada may be a generalization, but obviously it would have to pass there federal government first then into the provinces.

I have no Idea if there is any such initiative or not.

most I have ever heard from anybody is Ted Nugent did a rant on one of his shows on how it is irresponsible for Canada to not allow a side arm for bow hunters chasing bears and other dangerous game

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: BBwheelgunner] #98603 12/23/2011 10:28 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If I can remember the story it goes something like this: one of the handgun hunting organization`s invited the Canadian Interior Minister to hunt in the US using a handgun. He had a great time and took a few animals but still would not allow handgunners into his country. I remember hearing this a number of years ago

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: jamesfromjersey] #98605 12/23/2011 10:40 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
ok. that is good James, at least someone is trying... thats the first I have heard.

gosh, I just don't understand it. One would hope they are still not dwelling on the fallacy that handguns are not an effective hunting tool because that has obviously been disproven many many times even on the toughest of game. But you still see people on other forums that think they are good for nothing but target practice and self defense.

So much resistance for no reason...

Last edited by BBwheelgunner; 12/23/2011 10:42 PM.

Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: BBwheelgunner] #98613 12/24/2011 12:11 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I thing it is just as much a stereotype of the loose word "handgun." As much greef as we get I image it is even worse in other countrys. Just look up Websters definition, most people dont think of a specialty pistol with a scope.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: TCTex.] #98614 12/24/2011 12:46 AM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
It would be nice if a UNITED STATES CITIZEN could hunt with a handgun in any state he or she wishes in their OWN COUNTRY.

Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: TCTex.] #98618 12/24/2011 1:19 AM
EricS Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The term handgun is very loose but any style of handguns have their uses on some kind of game. I have a Glock 20 in 10mm that is plenty adequate for deer. I also have revolvers and contenders. They each have their place in handgun hunting. Their are alot of people in this country who don't feel handguns are a legitimate tool for hunting. Most of them have not spent enough time shooting handguns to understand their abilities. Many people I know that think I'm nuts for packing a pistol frequently miss deer within range of my Glock with their rifles. Some Arican countries require a minimum of .375 with a rifle. I would like to see more opportunities for handgun hunting but until then if I have to leave my handgun at home I will find somewhere else to go.

Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: EricS] #98622 12/24/2011 2:54 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
When I went on a hunt to South Africa in 2007 one of the handguns I brought was a FA .454 Casull with standard factory iron sights. The policia at the airport confiscated it, stating it was not a hunting handgun because it did not have a scope on it.

I came very very close to losing it, but fortunately my PH, after several telephone calls, multiple conversations with various "policia" and others in their language that I could not understand, several hours of pure stress, etc, I got the gun back.

Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: Gregg Richter] #98625 12/24/2011 3:31 AM
BBwheelgunner Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I have heard of South Africa's rule on the gun needing a scope on it, but at least they actually allow hunting with handguns there.

Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: BBwheelgunner] #98628 12/24/2011 4:47 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I for one would really like to see the countries in the South Pacific re open to handgun hunting. It makes no sense to me that at one time it was open to handgunners and now it's banned.

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: Franchise] #98639 12/24/2011 3:54 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: EricS
Their are alot of people in this country who don't feel handguns are a legitimate tool for hunting.

That's exactly the reason I started this site.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: Gary] #98644 12/24/2011 4:30 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I think I speak for everybody when I say I am glad that you had the initiative to start such a great website Gary.

I guess this way people from all over the world can see our accomplishments with the short guns, and maybe understand a little more...

Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: BBwheelgunner] #98687 12/25/2011 4:02 AM
ssphunter Offline
I guess I haven't thought about it much because it is just the way it has been, but it stinks... Just think of all of the hunting opportunities that would open up to us if Canada alone would open to handgun hunting?

Its sad that when we are looking at hunts, We can't even consider all of the opportunities held by our friendly neighbors to the north. I know it would open some doors wide open for me.

Good day
Some of the opportunities you speak of can't be enjoyed by us either. No handgun hunting is allowed in Canada wheather you're Canadian or not so yeah I aggree with ya. It really sucks that we can't use handguns to hunt here in Canada. Even worse the only place I can (legaly)use my handguns is on a government approved range.
Anyways, on a happier note
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to Everyone.
Mike

Enjoy your family and friends today as they may not be here tomorow.
Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: ssphunter] #98690 12/25/2011 6:07 AM
BBwheelgunner Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Merrry Christmas Mike,

Maybe someday this could all change...

Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: BBwheelgunner] #98710 12/25/2011 3:38 PM
TomC Offline
I would like to see Austrailia open back up to handgunners. Why they closed it I don't undertstand.

Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: TomC] #98734 12/25/2011 10:29 PM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Very few Australian States ever had legal handgun hunting. It was legal in the NT and debatable in Tassie. George W Bush's great friend John Howard killed it off with a draconian anti-gun regime.
It may seem hard for American's to understand, but it is the Conservative parties in Australia that are the most anti-gun. Vote them in and within a few years your guns get banned. Likely to be a British disease where the establishment is deeply afraid of a free people, you see it mainly in Commonwealth countries like the UK, Canada, Australia etc.

Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: Walkingthemup] #98735 12/25/2011 10:36 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Revolver hunting in SA is easy. Take a SuperRedhawk with scope on. Take it off. Take a FA with scope on and open sights hid in your checked luggage. Put it on when you get there. I've done this 5 times. No problem.

Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: BBwheelgunner] #99417 01/01/2012 10:19 PM
Landrum Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Have any of you hunted South America, Argentina in particular, with a handgun? What types of restrictions do they have?

Re: Handgun Hunting Around the World [Re: Landrum] #99426 01/01/2012 11:02 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I've hunted in Argentina twice, once in 1991 with a Contender in 6.5 JDJ and .375 JDJ for blackbuck, and the second time in 2002 with a FA .475 Linebaugh for buffalo.
It's no problem. You must have an entry permit for each firearm ($24 each in '91, $40 in '04). You can get the permits through the Argentine Embassy in the U.S., but you can also get them upon arrival at Eziza Airport in Buenos Aires, which is what I would recommend. You should double check this info with your Argentine outfitter to ensure that nothing has changed.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod