Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trigger pin question ? #7391 02/11/2005 5:07 PM
fanner50 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm a pretty good gunsmith and know enough to know that I don't know everything. I was dissasembling my Ruger Blackhawk to polish the sear and hammer and could not remove the trigger pin. The hammer pin fell out with ease and I removed the loading gate to take the cyl.latch spring tension off the pin but I couldn't get it out . It moves freely a little bit but thats all. I know there is a relief in the pin that the loading gate spring locks in to and I pushed it down to allow the pin to clear but no go. Im sure one of you guys can tell me what I have missed. I'll await your reply. Thanks in advance. Gary(fanner50)

Re: Trigger pin question ? [Re: fanner50] #7392 02/11/2005 6:34 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
the only thing that should hold it in is the gate spring unless theres a burr on the pin.with the frame upside down push down on the spring pushing it away from the pin. i've had some stick on my rugers and i just use a brass punch and lightly tap on it. good luck

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Trigger pin question ? [Re: wapitirod] #7393 02/11/2005 8:26 PM
fanner50 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Wapitirod - Well thats what I thought. You almost need an extra pair of hands to hold down on the gate spring and tap the pin. I thought that maybe Ruger had made a mfg. change since the last one I worked on and put some kind of retainer in there. There must be a bur as I removed the loading gate and that takes the pressure from where the gate spring contacts the trigger pin.

Re: Trigger pin question ? [Re: fanner50] #7394 02/11/2005 8:57 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
your right about the extra set of hands. i did pick up a pretty nifty little tool from brownells that compresses the spring and holds it while you remove the pin. its called a gate detent spring clamp and it's about 20.00, the part # is 080-906-000. if you take rugers apart very often it's worth the money.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Trigger pin question ? [Re: wapitirod] #7395 02/11/2005 9:20 PM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The Brownells tool for this is a big help if you frequently take Ruger SAs apart. If you are handy, you can make one of your own. It really isn't much more than a tiny C-clamp.

Stush

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod