Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Handgun Trophy Awards/Records #99208 12/30/2011 9:43 PM
Boartuff Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I don't think there is such a thing, but maybe I've missed it. Is there a record keeping orginization for critter trophies killed with a handgun, similar to P&Y or Longhunter, for example?

~BT~
Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Boartuff] #99209 12/30/2011 10:09 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I think SCI is the only ones doing anything and I don't know much about that, Gregg or Gary would know more. Gary had talked about another award but I never heard anything else about it. As far as awards go it's hard to keep things on an even playing field when you think about the different access some of us have to different areas and the difference between those that can afford big dollar hunts compared to those who may be just as good a hunter but not as fortunate financially and have to hunt shoulder to shoulder on public land. You would have to have different classes although it's a similiar thing with B&C and P&Y.

Last edited by wapitirod; 12/30/2011 10:13 PM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: wapitirod] #99219 12/30/2011 11:18 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Safari Club International will publish a record book for handgun hunters (IF) they can receive enough entries. I have never been a record book kind of guy but I do feel this has the potential to promote handgun hunting; even if it's only within the SCI membership. Truthfully, handgun hunting can use all the traction it can muster. SCI is launching a campaign to recognize and support alternative methods.

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Mark Hampton] #99222 12/30/2011 11:24 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I fully support them starting up the handgun award system I personally just have mixed feelings. I have a Gold Medal pig hanging on my wall and I was a member of SCI at the time but I took the pig on only ranch in Oregon with pigs but it's also high fence so between that and the SCI entry fee I felt like I had bought a trophy and didn't feel right about it so I didn't enter it. I think if they would at least seperate fair chase and high fence it would be better. Just my thoughts and I know many may feel different but I do support anything that furthers the cause of handgun hunting.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: wapitirod] #99223 12/30/2011 11:30 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
The SCI Record Book will distinguish between animals taken behind the fence (estate) and free-range.

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Mark Hampton] #99225 12/30/2011 11:37 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I'm glad to hear that, I don't know if it was that way when I was thinking about it or not but that was also a rifle kill. I didn't look very far into it because of the whole set of circumstances.

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: wapitirod] #99230 12/31/2011 12:20 AM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I am an SCI member also and I think it is great that they have a separate category for handguns, and I also think that the distinction between estate and fair chase is a good thing also.

What I do not know is the record book entry process. I would be curious to know how the process works

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: BBwheelgunner] #99232 12/31/2011 1:01 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Hey Mark - If they need handgun entries maybe they would waive the fees until they get enough for a book

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Gary] #99238 12/31/2011 2:26 AM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Hi Gary, Great idea; don't think it will happen. Net proceeds from the Record Book program go directly to anti-poaching and conservation programs. It generates considerable revenue for these programs. I hope they receive enough entries to make a seperate record keeping system for handgun hunters.

The process can be found on SCI's website or call 520-620-1220 and ask for the record book department. They are very helpful.

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Mark Hampton] #99240 12/31/2011 2:38 AM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thanks Mark, I have been on the site a few times but must have missed it.

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Mark Hampton] #99292 12/31/2011 5:23 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Mark Hampton
Safari Club International will publish a record book for handgun hunters (IF) they can receive enough entries. I have never been a record book kind of guy but I do feel this has the potential to promote handgun hunting; even if it's only within the SCI membership. Truthfully, handgun hunting can use all the traction it can muster. SCI is launching a campaign to recognize and support alternative methods.

The 2012 Safari Club Convention, Feb. 1-4, being held in Las Vegas, more or less launches SCI's campaign toward promoting Handgun Hunting and other alternative methods (muzzleloader and archery.)

A handgun hunting seminar is being put on by Larry Weishuhn and Mark Hampton Friday Feb. 3 at 2:30 pm (unless the schedule changed.)

Mark and I have been invited to promote his book and my video in the SCI record book booth at the convention. As Mark stated, SCI is pushing for handgun hunters to enter their trophies so that they can publish a handgun hunting record book.

This should benefit all handgun hunters and will serve to help educate more people about the sport, as well as bring more hunters into our ranks.

If any of you would like more info you can send me a PM.

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Gregg Richter] #99366 01/01/2012 12:28 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Of course, for those that might not be aware of it, the existing SCI Record Book already lists, in separate sections under each game species, those trophies that were taken with a handgun, and their ranking (1st, 2nd, etc.). It has been this way for a number of years.
What Mark brings to our attention is the proposed publication of a SEPERATE book.

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: 500WE] #99375 01/01/2012 1:56 PM
Shortgun Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
That seminar should be put on video and be made available to us and newcomers to the sport as well...
Just a thought..

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Shortgun] #99403 01/01/2012 7:35 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I would love to go to the SCI convention, but it's out of my reach money wise right now. some day. I agree with shortgun, it would be cool to see that seminar

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: BBwheelgunner] #99476 01/02/2012 3:12 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
The SCI Convention is an incredible event. Outfitters from all over the world, fantastic taxidermy, top-shelf firearms, anything hunting related is there in numbers. If you have never been, it's impressive.

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Mark Hampton] #99500 01/02/2012 7:37 PM
Boartuff Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks for all the posts and information. Hopefully the deal with SCI will pan out.

~BT~
Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Gregg Richter] #99516 01/02/2012 10:57 PM
PythonHunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Gregg, I sent you a pm with some questions.

PH

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: PythonHunter] #99685 01/04/2012 11:39 PM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Pasco
The SCI convention is in Feb. in my back yard (Las Vegas). Hopeing that my outfitter will bring my mounts with him....
I will be shopping for a Cape Buffalo hunt.

And looking for Mark and Gregg......

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Pasco] #99687 01/04/2012 11:44 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Pasco, The Handgun Hunting Seminar will be held Friday at 2:30. Location will be listed. Looking forward to meeting you there. Cheers--Mark

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Mark Hampton] #99709 01/05/2012 5:28 AM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
Mark, I'll bring my copy of your book.

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Pasco] #99715 01/05/2012 2:01 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Thanks---look forward to seeing you there.

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: BBwheelgunner] #99759 01/06/2012 6:02 PM
Boartuff Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Gary, have you considered developing a big game record book through H.H. ? Seems as though you have a very good starting platform and aquaintences to work with. I know it would be alot of work, however.

~BT~
Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Boartuff] #99799 01/07/2012 4:57 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Here is a link to the event:

http://www.showsci.org/

Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Gregg Richter] #100299 01/13/2012 3:00 PM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
I think it would be good to have a record keeping organization but as has been noted money can make a large difference on the type of hunts you can afford.P&Y has been great for bowhunting UNTIL these landowners decided to just start farming for huge whitetails now these bone heads go on tv and feel robbed if they dont take home a 140 class buck.

Dave Tarbell
Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Boartuff] #101121 01/23/2012 3:57 PM
Leon Munyan Offline
stranger
stranger
As the Handgun Hunting Consultant to the SCI Record Book Committee, I am happy to see a discussion on the Record Book merits!
I would just like to make a couple clarifications and comments:
The SCI Record Book of Big Game Animals (RB) does record and separate the method of take for every huntable trophy animal species in the world. So, all Handgun entries are listed in the book separate from the rifle, muzzleloader, bow, etc.
The RB is continually upgraded, in order to categorize species correctly. So, for example, North America species are now divided into three categories: Free Range, Estate (high fence), and Introduced (Fallow Deer, etc.).
A year ago, the RB Chairman, Herb Atkinson, started a campaign to recognize Handgun Hunters (HH). He brought me in as the HH consultant, in order to increase the awareness of HH. We have implemented numerous programs since then. Anyone interested in the entire list of programs may email me at: leon@munyan.com (feedback is welcome).
We have a HH seminar at the upcoming SCI convention in Las Vegas, co-chaired by Mark Hampton. Larry Weishuhn, Mr. Whitetail, is our keynote speaker. We also have autograph signing sessions with Gregg Richter, Mark Hampton, and Larry Weishuhn.
I know that HH, for some reason, are reluctant to enter their animals in the RB. That is unfortunate, because the RB is a valuable scientific data base that is used extensively to track species sizes and quantities - it is not a bragging rights forum! SCI has agreed to print the first HH record book - only HH entries will be in the book! In order to make this endeavor at least break-even, we must have enough entries. To date, the RB has 3,633 HH entries from 921 members. The RB committee has to publish a HH RB with 700 more entries. So, please have your trophies measured and sent in ASAP!
Thanks for all the interest in the SCI RB, and thanks for the opportunity to add to this discussion.

Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Leon Munyan] #101126 01/23/2012 5:11 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thanks Leon. Welcome to the site!

Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: BBwheelgunner] #101129 01/23/2012 5:26 PM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand
Leon welcome to the site,

I have never looked to find where to have something scored. Is there a list out there somewhere that shows the official scoring people and where they are located for each state? I know for example here in Idaho we have to either go to the F&G or contact them to find an official scorer for B&C or P&Y. Is it the same for SCI?

Last edited by rlb; 01/23/2012 5:28 PM.
Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: rlb] #101137 01/23/2012 6:44 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Welcome to the site, Leon!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Whitworth] #101138 01/23/2012 7:28 PM
Boartuff Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Welcome to the site and thanks for posting up this information. Are the minimums for handgun trophies in the RB the same as for any other method of entry?

The Longhunters ( muzzleloading record keeping ) has a reduced minimum for their respective entries, which is why I ask.

~BT~
Re: Handgun trophy awards/records [Re: Pasco] #101427 01/25/2012 5:03 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I was going to do an annual award but couldn't get a sponsor. Same old story with the industry... no support for handgun hunters. All of their attention is focused on the tactical market and I don't see that changing any time soon. Their perception is that there aren't enough of us to bother with compared to that other market.

Last edited by Gary; 01/25/2012 5:07 PM.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: rlb] #101443 01/25/2012 6:18 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: rlb
Leon welcome to the site,

I have never looked to find where to have something scored. Is there a list out there somewhere that shows the official scoring people and where they are located for each state? I know for example here in Idaho we have to either go to the F&G or contact them to find an official scorer for B&C or P&Y. Is it the same for SCI?

http://member.scifirstforhunters.org/static/Measurer-Search/index.cfm?Action=Search

Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Boartuff] #101538 01/26/2012 3:48 PM
Leon Munyan Offline
stranger
stranger
Thanks for all the response and interest in the SCI record book for Handgun Hunters. We can really use the support, and we really need your entries in order to make the Handgun Record Book a reality!
Couple quick answers to questions:
See Gregg's posting for the location of an SCI measurer. Note that measurers are not paid anything, so you may need to ask a couple to find one with the time to do the measuring. Also, plan to take your trophy to them.
Note that, in order to submit an entry to the record book, you need to be a member of SCI. This is actually a good thing, since SCI is THE conservation organization that is helping protect hunter's rights worldwide. (believe-it-or-not!). I have been an active handgun participant of the record book for 15 years, and I hear a lot of misconceptions promoted among handgun hunters. Go to the SCI website or call them at 1-520-620-1220 to get new member information.
As Mark Hampton noted, all the profits from the record book department are used for conservation efforts. Also, the printing of a Handgun record book will probably be at a loss (ie., no profits to SCI), so we definitely need more entry fees to at least make it break even. SCI is willing to print the book with no profit, because they really are trying to promote the use of alternative weapons..........
By the way, if you are able to make it to the Vegas handgun hunting seminar, you will receive vouchers to enter trophies with handguns for free - probably the only time that will happen!
The SCI record book minimum sizes for each species are only divided into gun and bow. So, the Handgun and Muzzle loader entries have the same minimum as the rifle entries. Having entered over 150 species to SCI, I actually like competing with rifle hunters. Based on my experience, dedicated handgun hunters are actually more accurate shooters than the average rifle hunter. So, why would we want to be treated as second class shooters! I know there are handgun hunters that only use open sighted revolvers and other lesser range weapons. I applaud their tenacity and ability. Unfortunately, SCI already has five weapon categories tracked in the record book, and sub dividing handgun entries into scoped or non-scoped handguns, etc. would be nearly impossible.
Sorry for my long postings, but I REALLY want all Handgun Hunters to stand up and be recognized by the hunting community. So, join SCI and enter your trophies - you will be proud that you did! (By the way, there are slightly more handgun entries in the record book than there are muzzle loader entries - hate to see those muzzle loaders overtake us!).
LEON

Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Boartuff] #101764 01/29/2012 5:42 PM
notrab Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I think they keep track of the tyoe of weapon used, i.e bow, blackpowder etc... so why not handgun.

Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Leon Munyan] #101778 01/29/2012 6:35 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Leon Munyan
As the Handgun Hunting Consultant to the SCI Record Book Committee, I am happy to see a discussion on the Record Book merits!
I would just like to make a couple clarifications and comments:
The SCI Record Book of Big Game Animals (RB) does record and separate the method of take for every huntable trophy animal species in the world. So, all Handgun entries are listed in the book separate from the rifle, muzzleloader, bow, etc.

Originally Posted By: notrab
I think they keep track of the tyoe of weapon used, i.e bow, blackpowder etc... so why not handgun.

notrab, I am unclear as to what your statement means. The whole intent of SCI here is to get enough handgun hunting entries to publish a record book for handgun only; which will help to get handgun hunting more public recognition; which will benefit all hunters, esp. Handgun Hunters.

Gregg

Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Gregg Richter] #101780 01/29/2012 6:46 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
If you're a hunter and not a member of SCI, then I would encourage you to join. SCI is to hunters what the NRA is to gun owners. I'm proud to be a member of both. Thanks

Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Mark Hampton] #101784 01/29/2012 7:11 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Agreed, Mark. SCI fights for HUNTER'S RIGHTS just as the NRA fights for gun owner's rights.

I also am proud to be a member of both.

Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Gregg Richter] #101812 01/30/2012 1:22 AM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
I am also a member of both and attended our local chapters' fund raiser banquet last night. I didn't win a gun or a hunt, but I did win a book on Jack O'Conner, purchased an original Phil Prentice painting and made some good contacts regarding a cape buffalo hunt.

Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Leon Munyan] #101880 01/30/2012 1:34 PM
Boartuff Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: Leon Munyan
The SCI record book minimum sizes for each species are only divided into gun and bow. So, the Handgun and Muzzle loader entries have the same minimum as the rifle entries. Having entered over 150 species to SCI, I actually like competing with rifle hunters. Based on my experience, dedicated handgun hunters are actually more accurate shooters than the average rifle hunter. So, why would we want to be treated as second class shooters!

I'm not even thinking in the terms of 2nd class shooters, but a lower minimum would likely garner more entries, which would meet your minimum goal number for publishing the record book at a quicker rate, as well as talley up more entries year after year.

~BT~
Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Mark Hampton] #101906 01/30/2012 6:38 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: Mark Hampton
If you're a hunter and not a member of SCI, then I would encourage you to join. SCI is to hunters what the NRA is to gun owners. I'm proud to be a member of both. Thanks

I too am a member, after I heard about it, they do exactly the kinds of things that I support as a hunter.

if nothing else, you get a very nice magazine to read lol

Re: Handgun Trophy Awards/Records [Re: Boartuff] #102121 02/02/2012 3:25 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
We arrived today and are having a really good time. Meeting and talking with the SCI people at the Record Book Booth has exceeded my expectations.

Talked to Mark on cell; will be meeting him tomorrow.

Ran into an old friend already that had moved; small world!

Will post more later.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod