Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Taurus 22 mag does it again ! #99515 01/02/2012 10:27 PM
silent sniper Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I was able to take the 22 mag out again today on a little morning hunt. I grabbed the 22 mag and some winchester 40 grain jacketed hollow points and went out. It was a windy day and the squirrels where mostly on the ground feeding. I snuck up to a big tree and stood there watching. all of sudden I heard crunching in the snow. I looked up to see a fox squirrel not more then 10 yards away. It was coming directly towards me. I just stood there motionless and watched it. it came up at 3 feet away and looked up at me. then it hopped past me passing less then 3 feet away. I couldnt believe it. It was an amazing experiance. after it passed I whipped up and took a quick shot but missed. I was ok with missing tho as it was very cool seeing a wild squirrel so close. it never knew I was there. I then walked about 60 yards away and stood by a tree. I looked around and had a red squirrel at 20 yards but it was not a safe shot. I then looked to my left to see a pack of 3 fox squirrels and a black squirrel moving together along the ground. I couldnt believe it ! they disappeared and i snuck over to where I had last seen them. all of a sudden there they where 30 yards away. I tried a running shot as they passed the trail infront of me but i shot just over it. the squirrels then went and sat on a log that i thought was atleast 40 yards away. after 2 rushed shots only one squirrel sat on the log. I knew it was my last chance. I took a few steps to my right to make sure the shot was clear, aimed right on the squirrel and slowley squeezed the trigger. as the pistol barked I saw the squirrel fly off the log. I was absoutly tickled that I had made the shot. I stepped it off and the squirrel was right at 45-46 yards. It was a perfect heart shot. This gun can shoot ! I then walked another 100 yards. I spotted a fox squirrel run up a tree 65 yards away. a slow stalk led me within 20 yards of it as it was huddled up on a branch. One shot thru the chest put it down. I absoutly love this gun. the 4 inch barrel is so easy to pack but yet this gun is crazy accurate. its sweet spot is 30-40 yards. within that range the sights are dead on. anything closer or farther I have to aim just a little low. I also love the 22 mag cartridge. it has so much more punch then a 22 LR but doesnt cause excessive meat damage like I had expected. I think this is from the controlled expansion jacketed hollow point. I was using a 22 LR pistol with hollow points and I had quite a few squirrels that would need more then 1 shot. not with the 22 mag. it hits like a hammer ! I love it ! enjoy SS

Re: Taurus 22 mag does it again ! [Re: silent sniper] #99517 01/02/2012 11:00 PM
PythonHunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Congrats on the fine shooting and excellent table fare. I am happy to see that your gun shoots so well as I have one on layaway for my father. Congrats again.

PH

Re: Taurus 22 mag does it again ! [Re: PythonHunter] #99541 01/03/2012 2:03 AM
tracker77 Offline
addict
addict
Great shooting and happy hunting. Squirrel is my absolute favorite thing to hunt. The 22 mag is a great round. Lots of range and plenty of punch. Good luck in your future hunts and keep sharing your experiences with us all.

Do not take your greatness to the graveyard!!
Re: Taurus 22 mag does it again ! [Re: tracker77] #99542 01/03/2012 2:59 AM
bmbailes Offline
very nice again:) now you are making me look for a rimfire handgun!!

JOHN 3:16 THANK YOU LORD!!!
Re: Taurus 22 mag does it again ! [Re: bmbailes] #99544 01/03/2012 3:13 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Good story and good shots; congratulations!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod