Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? #101575 01/27/2012 4:32 AM
JCosmoAsp Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Just installed some Picatinny rails from EGW on a couple of SS Contender barrels (7-30 Waters and 223 Rem). Has anyone mounted a small Eotech and a tip-off magnifier on a Contender pistol? I have a Bushnell 2x-6x on each now, but think it might be an option for the 7-30 (or my 357 Herrett) in our heavy SW Oregon elk jungle. The rail is 4.75" long, and this combo from Opticsplanet (http://www.opticsplanet.net/opmod-eotech-mpo-ii-exps3-0-holosight-with-g23-3x-magnifier-tan.html) is about 3.5"long.
Any opinions?

If you think preparedness is expensive, try 'winging' it.

NRA Endowment Member (Life Member since 1976)
Idaho State Rifle and Pistol Association
Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: JCosmoAsp] #101576 01/27/2012 4:48 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Eye Relief: 1.97" (50mm)

I don't know if I wanna get that close to it ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: s4s4u] #101578 01/27/2012 7:28 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Mike Bellm has really had alot to say about the EGW rails and all positive. You hunting the Rogue unit?

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: wapitirod] #101608 01/27/2012 4:54 PM
JCosmoAsp Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Wapitirod, it's the Sixes Unit (25), most public land is in the Sixes river area, south of Bandon & north of Port Orford. Bought 5 acres two miles out of Bandon, getting ready to build and move out of Norcal. Where did you read the Bellm comments? I bought the +20 MOA versions for some additional built-in range. A great buddy and all around shooter just bought a place out of Florence. Elk just stand around in his yard, dammit.

s4s4u: the specs on that Opticsplanet page read: "Eye relief: Unlimited" I'm assuming they're still a "both eyes open" (Bindon) setup visible from any angle, etc.

If you think preparedness is expensive, try winging it.

Last edited by JCosmoAsp; 01/27/2012 4:56 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: JCosmoAsp] #101610 01/27/2012 5:38 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
s4s4u: the specs on that Opticsplanet page read: "Eye relief: Unlimited" I'm assuming they're still a "both eyes open" (Bindon) setup visible from any angle, etc.

The magnifier is what I was refering to, not the sight itself.

Quote:
Magnifier

Magnification Fixed: 3.25X
Eye Relief: 1.97" (50mm) <<<<<<<<<<<<
Length: 4.6" (117mm)
Weight: 11.9oz (372 grams)
Temperature: -40 to 160 F
Waterproof: 33 ft.
Sealing: Fogproof internal optics
Mount: MIL-STD-1913 rail
Field of View: 6 degrees

Rod, too.

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: s4s4u] #101624 01/27/2012 9:27 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
No wonder you were talking jungle,very simniliar to here tillamook but not as wet. I grew up hunting in the Rogue and spent several years in Central OR and that really spoiled me. If you go east a bit to the Applegate your in trophy blacktail country. My sister lived in Brookings for quite a while and I used to have in laws in Florence. I know what you mean about the Elk, here they get in the farmers fields and the port authority property. I regularly see the big herd of 200-300 on the latter. Your also in excellent bear country down there but deer hunting can be fun since the ferns are bigger than the deer. Maybe once you get moved we can meet up sometime and do some shooting even if it's just the breeze if not some hunting. Your also in one of the very few areas of the state where feral pigs are starting to populate so you may have some off season hunting and of course coyotes and cats are thick if you can find a place open enough to see them before they see you.

Mike has talked about the EGW stuff in several news letters and I save most of them since he has good tech stuff. PM a good email address to forward them to and I'll find them and send them to you. I'm supposed to try again to get down and spend some time in the shop with him in a couple weeks as the last time if fell through at the holidays and this time he may have to take a trip to Spain with Bergara as he's real big into using their barrels now.

By the way the Bushnell 2-6x is about as good of a compromise as you can get, remember alot of the animals are taken out of logged out clear cuts and you may need to stretch a shot to the limits of the cartridge. If your going to be beating the jungle I'd actually recommend either an iron sighted revolver or one with a red dot. This stuff really sucks to hunt in. I always try to go as high as I can so I can get out of as much of the thick stuff as possible and I concentrate on clear cuts.

Last edited by wapitirod; 01/27/2012 9:31 PM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: wapitirod] #101653 01/28/2012 4:23 AM
JCosmoAsp Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Wapitirod--PM sent at 2022 hrs.

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: s4s4u] #101654 01/28/2012 4:26 AM
JCosmoAsp Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:

The magnifier is what I was refering to, not the sight itself.

Quote:
Magnifier

Magnification Fixed: 3.25X
Eye Relief: 1.97" (50mm) <<<<<<<<<<<<
Length: 4.6" (117mm)
Weight: 11.9oz (372 grams)
Temperature: -40 to 160 F
Waterproof: 33 ft.
Sealing: Fogproof internal optics
Mount: MIL-STD-1913 rail
Field of View: 6 degrees

I'm wondering if that isn't the maximum distance the magnifier can be placed from the sight, not the maximum eye relief from the shooter? Clearly, I don't know for sure...

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: JCosmoAsp] #101655 01/28/2012 4:31 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Any time you bring magnification into the picture, you bring in eye relief as well. I'm fairly certain that magnifier is designed for use on a tactical rifle, not a handgun. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer.

Rod, too.

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: wapitirod] #101656 01/28/2012 4:35 AM
JCosmoAsp Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm hoping that the Biscuit Fire burn has opened up some prime country for longer shots, but want to be ready for close stuff too. Perhaps, as you suggest, the 2x-6x will be good enough for both. I also am thinking of building another AR10 in 338 Federal for use in that situation, too, in which case, I'll still have to choose an optic.

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: s4s4u] #101658 01/28/2012 4:38 AM
JCosmoAsp Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Good advice. Will do.

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: JCosmoAsp] #101663 01/28/2012 7:35 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: JCosmoAsp
I'm hoping that the Biscuit Fire burn has opened up some prime country for longer shots, but want to be ready for close stuff too. Perhaps, as you suggest, the 2x-6x will be good enough for both. I also am thinking of building another AR10 in 338 Federal for use in that situation, too, in which case, I'll still have to choose an optic.

It did but I haven't heard lately, right after the fire they were taking alot of bears out of there in the spring season. The bears were all over the new growth and you could actually see. I'm not sure how much it has grown back.

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: wapitirod] #101748 01/29/2012 6:23 AM
JCosmoAsp Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I haven't taken a bear yet, but have eaten black bear roast--it's delicious. Definitely on my list of meat to pile next to the mashed potatoes. I also like the prospects for pig hunting. Wild boar makes really good BBQ and sausage. At 6'10' and 250 lbs., I've always been interested in "what's for dinner".

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: JCosmoAsp] #101749 01/29/2012 6:35 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
now you made me feel bad, I'm 6'3" and 250, I guess it's time to cut back on what's next to potatoes for me. lol

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: wapitirod] #101751 01/29/2012 6:49 AM
JCosmoAsp Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Well, I was up to 285 at one point, but that was about 4 years ago. I retired at 230, but have inched back up over the last 6 months or so. Need to get out an walk more...and start the free weights again.

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: JCosmoAsp] #101768 01/29/2012 5:50 PM
notrab Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Where did you get the rail for your .223 barrel. I would be interested in doing te same.

Re: Evolution Gun Works T-C Rail and Eotech combo? [Re: notrab] #101798 01/29/2012 10:29 PM
JCosmoAsp Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I got the EGW rails from Opticsplanet (see here: http://www.opticsplanet.net/egw-thompson-center-contender-picatinny-rail-scope-mount.html)
Or, you can order direct from EGW at: http://www.egwguns.com/thompson-center/

I'm happy with how they mounted. The mounting screws were the perfect length for the barrels I have, although there's a disclaimer note in the parts bag saying some may need shortening. Do a dry fit before adding any loctite. I used the same Fat Wrench I use for rings to tighten the mounts to 20 inch/pounds. I used red locktite.
I'm going to the range on Thursday for some testing with both the .223 and the 7-30 Waters.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 68 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod