Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun scope base holes off center. #102150 02/02/2012 4:40 PM
Bam Bam Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Taking a detour from handgun hunting I wanted to send out a caveat concerning Marlin lever rifles for those who are interested. I recently purchased a 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 from a big time retailer instead of my local gunshop to save a few bucks, big mistake. After giving it a once over for dings, missing barrel ect. I took it home and tried to mount a scout scope base and much to my amazement I discoved that the reciever base mount holes were left of center about 1/8s of an inch. The good folks at Marlin are taking care of this problem as I write this, as to what they will do is still unknow (they recieved it today) hopefully a new reciever or gun? Just wanted to let you guys know if you buy one, check it with a fine tooth comb.

Re: Marlin 1895 Guide Gun scope base holes off center. [Re: Bam Bam] #102151 02/02/2012 4:51 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've had good dealings with the people at marlin and my guess is since it's the receiver it'self that's been drilled wrong they will just replace the gun but they might do a receiver but probably not. The only thing if it's a new gun it will have to go through your FFL whereas if it's the receiver with the same ser # they can ship it direct to you.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Marlin 1895 Guide Gun scope base holes off center. [Re: wapitirod] #102153 02/02/2012 5:50 PM
claytonfaulkner Offline
A lot of people have had quality concerns since marlin got bought out.

You will probably get a new gun. I do believe you will have to go through an FFL but Beretta had some issues with there px4 pistols a while back and a bunch of people sent there guns back. Beretta sent many of them new guns, they mailed it straight to them. Not sure if they were supposed to or not but they did.

Re: Marlin 1895 Guide Gun scope base holes off center. [Re: claytonfaulkner] #102162 02/02/2012 7:46 PM
briarhopper Offline
addict
addict
Glad to hear Marlin is taking care of it. I bought my first 1895 about 25 years ago, the original SS model, have had two of the SS's and 2 guide guns since, have always been extremely pleased with them. Don't know about them so much since the buy-out, but they were always great guns and a great compny in my experience.

If it were supposed to be easy, they'd have sent my little sister to do it.
Re: Marlin 1895 Guide Gun scope base holes off center. [Re: briarhopper] #102196 02/03/2012 3:14 AM
notrab Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Marlin has been around a long time and wants to keep us happy, LOL. Glad they are taking care of you. Not sure what your local gunshop would have done differant. Mine I find dont care any more the the big store. They, the local store, just want to complain about the customers, me, ehen I am standing there and will sell me just as bad a thing as the big store. Yes I have experianced this. Fortunately the manufacture was excellant and rebuilt the bun so now it is as good as new.
cheers

Re: Marlin 1895 Guide Gun scope base holes off center. [Re: notrab] #102336 02/04/2012 3:18 PM
TexasVine Offline
journeyman
journeyman
As I recall, there were two types of 18995 Guide Guns from Marlin. Those that had 'JM" stamped on left side of the barrel right infont of the reciever and those that don't. I have seen several comments in gun forums that indicated that there was a quality issue between the two. Forums suggest that the one stamped with "JM" had less quality issues.

TexasVine
Re: Marlin 1895 Guide Gun scope base holes off center. [Re: TexasVine] #102337 02/04/2012 3:33 PM
claytonfaulkner Offline
I am pretty sure that the one's that don't have the JM stamp are ones made since Remington bought marlin.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod