Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: 7P's] #109131 05/20/2012 7:26 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
GlennS, I sure hope ya re-think that decision. I made the same decision a while back, but am sure glad I saw the error of my ways, and came back. No, I'm not saying you made an error, I'm saying I did, and came back. You will miss this place, and I hope it gets the better of you and that you will return.

We are like family here. We all have a common goal. But every family has arguements. If anyone says their's doesn't, they are lying. We all know that. We all want to see this sport progress. We all want to be the best we can be at it. We are going to colide from time to time, but if anyone looks only at those threads, they are missing a much better example of who we are as a group.

On this forum, we all get mad. We all laugh. We've all been the brunt of a joke, or had our head bit off. It's only temporary, but our long term goal should be common, and permanent.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 05/20/2012 7:37 PM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: Boot] #109134 05/20/2012 7:49 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Glenn, I hope you are not accusing me of being a "self-proclaimed expert". If so, you are dead wrong; actually in most of my posts I say "IMHO" at the end. And guess what, Glenn, that is EXACTLY what these forums are for: THE EXCHANGE OF OPINIONS, ideas and know-how, etc.

As a matter of fact, in my above post I stated "For Big Game, I only have 6 antelope and 3 bull elk and 2 mule deer to my credit with sixguns. I know there are many others here that have many more."

So Glenn, if anything, I de-claimed myself as an expert.
\:D

Maybe you are confusing expressing opinions with being an "expert." I recall a few of your posts (your opinions) that were pretty heavily in favor of cast bullets on game; and some could percieve those as you being a "self proclaimed expert."

So, if you do not wish to read other people's opinons here or express your own, then so be it. I will miss you.

Gregg

Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: GlennS] #109135 05/20/2012 8:16 PM
tracker77 Offline
addict
addict
Mr. Richter.... I respect you as a member of this site. I respect you for the handgun hunter that you are. I respect your opinions on all things on this site even if I dont agree. I even respect you on your stance on Mr. Keith. Im fine with the idea of you not believing everything he wrote. A lot of it was pretty fantastic and some of it I have a hard time with myself. I respect Mr. Keith as a man who was ONE of the many pioneers in our sport. My post was simply stating that the 44mag was enough gun not the only gun. If you want more gun than that then ok. I respect that too.

That said......I dont like being attacked personally. So you understand me here.....I honestly dont care what you get "very very tired of hearing from the less experience". What sir may I ask makes me less experienced than you in your eyes? It would never occur to me to speek of you in such a disrespectful way. I have long since thought of you as a better person than that. As a moderator for this site I would think you had more class than that. Speeking of misperceptions I think you had one about the meaning of my use of Elmer Keith as a reference. I used Mr. Keith because he wrote about the effectiveness of the 44mag and was a driving force behind its creation. Also I AM a fan of his but not one with "blind admeration". I guess I could have reference J.D. Jones or John Taffin. Or maybe I should have referenced Charles A. Skelton. As far as you starting your post with "No offense...." you should know that if you have to start with that line then what you are about to say is offensive.

GlennS.....Im sad to see you go. I understand your decision and respect it but I hope you dont leave. Your very correct... sometimes we get caught up in the idea that our own opinion is the only right one. That is very dogmatic and myopic of us. We should all make it a point even if we dont agree to respectfully desagree. We should never turn to personal attacks on each other.

Do not take your greatness to the graveyard!!
Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: tracker77] #109146 05/20/2012 9:44 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Mr. tracker77,

You are right, it sounded like I was attacking you personally, and I sincerely do apologize.

I really meant but it didn't come out that way that it seems like a lot of people refer to Mr. Keith's experience about what he did instead of reiterating their own experience. I apologize for "attacking you personally," it was not really really directed at just you and so personally sir...

Sincerely,

Gregg

PS: Sir, since we seem to be on that subject, ending your statement with the word "Period." may not be the best way or it may sound like you are trying to be an "expert." I say that with sincerity and respect and not trying to attack you; just more of a "heads up," as I do know that you meant it as your opinion.

There are lots of opinons on that subject!
\:\)

Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: Gregg Richter] #109147 05/20/2012 10:15 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
 Originally Posted By: sixshot
Gregg, you certainly are trying to tear him down, .....making personal attacks on someone & hinting that they weren't telling the truth or maybe weren't always legal is doing a diservice to those who like & enjoy this forum....

Dick

No I was not, Dick. That is the way YOU perceive it, and it sure sounds like you got stirred up!

And in case YOU MISSED IT, Dick, my post stated "Thank you Elmer, for doing what you did"...

\:D

Now I refuse to get drawn into a pissing match with you Dick, so this is my last post regarding arguing with you.

\:\/

I'd say that he percieved it the way you wrote it JMHO

Last edited by jwp475; 05/20/2012 10:23 PM.
Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: jwp475] #109153 05/20/2012 10:56 PM
Forsberg Offline
stranger
stranger
Someone has to start, or be the first, or see if it can be done. Then be willing to gather the praise or absorb the criticism. When I met Elmer Keith back in 1975 he seemed able to do both equally.
Mr Keith's 44 mag will do and has done for anything that walks if the bullet is put into the right place. Well, that holds true for anything we shoot.

Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: Forsberg] #109158 05/20/2012 11:35 PM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
I'm gone.....bye!

Dick

Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: Forsberg] #109162 05/21/2012 12:04 AM
tracker77 Offline
addict
addict
Mr Richter

I appreciate your appology and accept. Thank you for being man enough to do so. It speeks a lot to your character.

My own experiences with the 44 mag are that I have never found myself in need of its full power. I have said many times in the past that my own hand loads are my own hard cast 240SWC over 17.5gr of 2400. Thats about 1150 out of my Bisley and about 1170 out of my old SBH. I have in the last two years taken 8 whitetail in Arkansas and taken 8 of our firmly entrenched feral hog population and a black bear. I have never taken a shot beyond 60 yards with either of my 44s in a hunting situation. I am not an expert in anything that has to do with handgun hunting. I will never claim that. I can see how you misunderstood my meaning. Please let me explain. My statement was "The 44mag is enough gun. Period." What I meant by that was that there are other calibers bigger and smaller that will do the job but the 44mag is enough given the proper charge/payload configuration. It has taken everything in North America. Some may say that it isnt the best round for elk, moose, grizley and polar bears. I would say that it may not be the best per say but it has proven that it will do the job.

Do not take your greatness to the graveyard!!
Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: tracker77] #109167 05/21/2012 1:14 AM
DeerDad Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Welcome aboard Boot. You will find alot of good information on this site and plenty of help. Never been afraid to ask a question no matter how minor or simple it may seem. I sure don't.

I debated about which revolver to buy last year at this time. The 44 magnum won. I wanted a gun that was easy on the hands and wallet. The 460 and 454 casull were seriously considered but good sense prevailed over ego. The 44 has been around and proven longer than any of the new cannons on the block.

Good Luck

Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: aaronfeng] #109170 05/21/2012 1:48 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I am not a worshiper of Elmer Keith's but to deny his contributions in getting us to where we are now is pretty outrageous IMO. He opened many people's eyes as to the terminal effectiveness of flat-nosed bullets (among other things), and he had a platform from which to preach. He may not have been the end-all, be-all, but he did contribute significantly IMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: s4s4u] #109174 05/21/2012 2:17 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Maybe Mr. Gary should start charging them for there advertising???

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: TCTex.] #109179 05/21/2012 3:35 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I would really, really like to get my hands on just one of these sob's, they'd never find the body. These guys are worse than telemarketers and they really can't expect any of us to be dumb enough to want to buy their crap!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: wapitirod] #109180 05/21/2012 3:39 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I wish they had a blog on their sight "we" could post on... ... ...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: aaronfeng] #109183 05/21/2012 5:45 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: aaronfeng
Made of low quality non-durable cotton canvas with cheap padding (we try to maximize our profit) and straps that fit-all and are non-adjustable; no need, just force it to fit.

Available in black; sometimes it is comfortable while providing you little freedom of movement, but who cares.

Do not trust these websites as they are under investigation.

ergo baby carrier
ergo baby carrier sale
organic baby carrier

Hey look! Somehow the spammer got "spammed!"

Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: Gregg Richter] #109184 05/21/2012 5:54 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
excellent!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: wapitirod] #109192 05/21/2012 12:26 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Tearing down Kieth? Whose next Taffin,Skelton,JD Jones,Kelly?

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: cottonstalk] #109202 05/21/2012 4:02 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Just checked this out.
Wow, and I thought the LR threads got warm at times....

OK, I am stirring the pot;)

But I just got my first 44 Magnum, and what is a guy to do but check out such a large thread???

To OP,
44 Mag with a good bullet and placement will drop an elk with no problems!
There are a lot of ways to "skin the cat" (Get the job done).
Add to that a lot of preference & prejudice.

Once you get your handgun, and get it sighted in and all, do yourself a favor, stay off of the bench and practice with as many field rests as you can imagine.
Also, if you are heading to the hills get yourself in good physical condition, getting used to your boots and weight in your pack. It is hard to be steady to make "The Shot" when you are wheezing like you are having an asthma attack!
Then when big game season rolls around, you will have the competence and confidence to make the shot within your limitations.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: 44 mag myth vs facts [Re: cottonstalk] #109206 05/21/2012 4:08 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: cottonstalk
Tearing down Kieth? Whose next Taffin,Skelton,JD Jones,Kelly?

Even though this post has run its gamut, from the criticisms to the explanations to the apologies to the changing of the subject, there are still those who want to keep the negativity flowing. Since there is no worthwhile purpose to keep the criticisms going, this topic is now locked.

One last word from me, the one whose writing was mis-interpreted that got a few people so riled up: I meant no dishonor to Mr. Keith, (but I apologize to him for the benefit of those who think I owe him one) and if you read my posts and understand english, you too will get it. I also offer an apology to anybody else whom I offended personally, even though it was unintended.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod