Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Revolver cleaning question #7574 02/22/2005 2:25 AM
Recoil Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I sure do have a difficult time cleaning the fouling off of my handgun frames, forcing cones, cylinder faces as well as the sides of the cylinder. I am specifically having a harder than usual time of cleaning both of my .500 Smiths. I have been using a steel brush soaked in Bore Scrubber and I still cannot get the stains completely off. I was wondering what works for others who have been at it longer than I have .

Re: Revolver cleaning question [Re: Recoil] #7575 02/22/2005 3:02 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Most of the time as long as I have everything clean I don't worry about the staining, but when I do want to remove it from my cylinders I use a soft cloth buffing wheel on my bench grinder. In the frame I usually can get it with a nylon brush and barnes cleaner, I have heard of guys using store bought cleaners for stainless steel and one guy told me he used automotive polishing compound, but I don't know. I think those cleaners may be abrasive so if you were going to try it I would say take it easy at first.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Revolver cleaning question [Re: Recoil] #7576 02/22/2005 4:29 AM
osok Offline
I use JB Bore Cleaning Compound and fine steel wool. It's the best stuff I've ever used for cleaning the cylinder face. Works great in the barrel too.

Re: Revolver cleaning question [Re: Recoil] #7577 02/22/2005 4:04 PM
ClayFHT Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Birchwood Casey makes a lead removal rag, at least I think thats what they call it. It's yellow in color. It works great for cleaning around the forcing cone and the face of the cylinder. They warn on the package not to use it on blued guns!

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not."
Thomas Jefferson

The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.
General Dwight Eisenhower
Re: Revolver cleaning question [Re: Recoil] #7578 02/22/2005 9:37 PM
Cossack Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Drummel makes a small brass wheel that chucks into it's hand held tool. Use it with JB Bore Paste or plain, after soaking with whatever solvent works best for you in barrel.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod