Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: Whitworth] #107213 04/25/2012 1:51 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have read lots of trash here. Try packing a big bad 45 or any full size gun in any holster on the belt and you will have back ache, side ache, etc. Try sitting in the car for a couple hours and see if that metal stuffed down your pants feels good. Opt for your model 36 with moderate loads in a high ride pancake or a good shoulder. But you will look funny with a hot jacket or vest on in dead summer.

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: campbellkids] #107215 04/25/2012 2:10 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: campbellkids
I have read lots of trash here. Try packing a big bad 45 or any full size gun in any holster on the belt and you will have back ache, side ache, etc. Try sitting in the car for a couple hours and see if that metal stuffed down your pants feels good. Opt for your model 36 with moderate loads in a high ride pancake or a good shoulder. But you will look funny with a hot jacket or vest on in dead summer.

I carry a big, bad, 45 every day; all day. Sometimes I have to check to make sure it's still there and alot of the time, only have a t-shirt on.
\:\)

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: KRal] #107218 04/25/2012 4:20 AM
Infantryhammer Offline
Sadly this decision was made easier for me. My wife has been out of work for a while and I have had to sell all but two of my handguns to stay afloat. I kept my Kimber Pro Carry II HD, and my Sig p238. I carry one or the other everyday, and know I don't feel undergunned with a 380 in my pocket.

Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: KRal] #107221 04/25/2012 4:45 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: KRal

I carry a big, bad, 45 every day; all day. Sometimes I have to check to make sure it's still there and alot of the time, only have a t-shirt on.

Exactly KRal; wonder who that guy is. Nothing wrong with carrying a Chief's Special; he just shouldn't assume.....er...well, I think we all know what I am trying to say...

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: Gregg Richter] #107224 04/25/2012 9:58 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Now you guys know that getting a concealed carry in Jersey is like hitting the lottery for $10,000,000, however, there was a
time that I carried my Colt Defender in 45acp on some of my hunt trips and I would have to check to see if the gun was still there because it was so comfortable....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: campbellkids] #107225 04/25/2012 11:16 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist

I carry full-sized guns in shoulder holsters all the time and they are very comfortable. Not quite sure where you are going with this.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: s4s4u] #107232 04/25/2012 3:05 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
can we start talking cast bullets or something safe. me thinks someone is trying to start trouble. if not then let me say sorry now. lamina1982 carry what ya can hit with, that gos bang 100% of the time. weight size shape are all talk for lazy people like me.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: bluecow] #107233 04/25/2012 3:23 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: bluecow
can we start talking cast bullets or something safe. me thinks someone is trying to start trouble. if not then let me say sorry now. lamina1982 carry what ya can hit with, that gos bang 100% of the time. weight size shape are all talk for lazy people like me.

I was thinking we could discuss primers.....

Well said, bluecow!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: campbellkids] #107255 04/26/2012 12:41 AM
stoney Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Why don't you just take it off, while in the car, or are you stealing it.

Silver Doubles in His Holsters, Silver Stars Strapped to His Heels.------The Band Outlaws
Hurry Sundown

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: stoney] #107258 04/26/2012 1:11 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
WOW, I missed all this stuff and I'm normally in the middle of the controversy.

I used to carry my 1911 and it wasn't too bad I just switched to the Glock because it is a little lighter even with 16rds of 40. The thing though is this is a 22 which is a full size service weapon and isn't much different in size from my 1911, in fact it's a little wider and I carry it with a gun mounted clip in the small of my back and never have a problem. I've taken 5 or 6 hour trips with it in my back while driving and forgot it was there so I don't think the physical size is an issue.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: wapitirod] #107265 04/26/2012 2:11 AM
EricS Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I missed all of the controversy but that's good. I have a small assortment and carry whatever is comfortable. Most of the time it's my Taurus TCP. Next often is a S&W 638 but it gets used less and less as It prints too much in my pocket and If I have to carry IWB I usually carry a Beretta nano. Wouldn't mind a 45 but waiting to get my hands on the ne XDs to compare it to the Glock 36 and Kahr's small 45. I am happy for those that can carry full size but I already stick out at the waist.

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: wapitirod] #107268 04/26/2012 3:02 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hip displacement of as little as 3 mm can have drastic effects on your bone stucture. Driving a vehicle with a semi- thick wallet can cause this. Weapons can cause the same issues. When choosing a cw, try numerous weapons and holsters. Drive with the weapon in place. Choose a weapon and system that you can carry all day long. I have a friend that stashes his weapon under the seat when in the car and forgets to place it when he gets out. What good is a weapon if you have to run back to the car to retrieve it prior to the fight?

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: Infantryhammer] #107269 04/26/2012 3:08 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree that a person is probably not undergunned under normal situations. If he is fighting off an entire army, then he would need more than the normal person is going to have.

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: campbellkids] #107270 04/26/2012 3:21 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have read and heard it all. Over the years, people have told me that a person needs at least two full mags of ammo, calibets to rip huge holes, etc. I had the "honor"of watching one person pull a gun on a bad guy, and it wasn' t his fight. The bad guy was bad talking another and this man butted in. No other weapons were produced. Wyatt Earp spent the next few hours in jail and tons of money fighting. He was in the right? Along with concealed carry is responsibility and a lot of soul searching when and how much of an ass kicking would one take before drawing and shooting. For me, maybe the ass kicking would be easier on me and the family than all the bs with a shooting. One has to decide for himself who, what ,when he is going to protect with a cw.

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: SChunter] #107271 04/26/2012 3:28 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Good comment

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: campbellkids] #107296 04/26/2012 3:22 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Campbellkids, good comments, but it would help if you quoted the person to whom they were directed… It would help us try to discern this already complicated road map…

What surprises me is no one has brought up ammo. It not only plays a huge role in this argument, but ammo choice is very important for self defense, at least it is legally. And I know some one is going to stat that it isn’t, well, let me just say I encourage you to choose wisely and never carry handloads… You can, but it is going to cost you more in on the other end in lawyer fees… … …

What is really funny, statistically, there is only 5% difference in a 9mm and 40 on paper with self defense loads. Interestingly, more people who carried 45 were shot because they only shot an assailant once. The assailant was knocked down, but got back up and returned the favor.

In any situation the biggest issue with any caliber, IMHO, is knowing its limitations. No matter what you shoot or carry.

I have carried everything from a 9mm High Power to a H&K USP 45… LOL

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: TCTex.] #107307 04/26/2012 5:54 PM
wheeler45 Offline
addict
addict
My carry load is the .45 a.c.p. 230 grain Speer Gold Dot. I carry what my old Sheriff's Dept. issues.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13
Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: wheeler45] #107323 04/27/2012 3:48 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I carried a full size colt for YEARS. Now my wife who is 6' and 125 pounds carries it all day without complaint in a Milt sparks versa Max II just like I did.

Maybe you misunderstand what we mean by "full size" on here Campbell. We're talking full size 1911 types -- not 460 X-frames!!! :-)

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: Raptortrapper] #107327 04/27/2012 6:08 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
TCTex brings up some valid points; RE: AMMO.

FWIW: I have a friend who is ex-marine recon and Vietnam sniper; he tells me that .45 ACP Hardball is all you need and it does the job very fine. And that if you carry "self defense loads" that have the special noses and low flash powders and HP's etc. that if you ever shoot someone with them, that you had better get a good lawyer and borrow some money...

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: Gregg Richter] #107328 04/27/2012 6:27 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
my carry loads are 185gr factory Hydra Shocks although I also have handloaded and factory FMJ flat points for my 40. My 45 I feed handloaded 230gr ball and 255gr lead RNFP. I have 10 mags of 40 loaded and 8 mags of 45 not to mention 20, 30rd mags of 7.62x39
of course that only gets carried in case of home invasion or severe civil unrest although if I ever see the "Earth First" or "ELF" people again I may reconsider
;\)
I normally only carry the one mag in my 40 unless I'm taking a trip and I'll carry two extra's. Around town here I figure if 16rds isn't going to fix the problem until the cops get there then it's already either hopeless or they need to fire the cops which is probably the case.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: Gregg Richter] #107479 04/29/2012 1:03 PM
chiefs50 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

I am a retired Army, Viet Nam vet - former sniper and competitive shooter. I like the 1911 but these days I prefer the M9. A little on the large side for CC but it is an easy gun for almost everyone to master/shoot accurately. Both the Marine Corps and the Army long ago replaced the 1911 with the the Beretta M9/M9A1. Try the two side by side and see what you think.

CSM, Retired
I believe in science and reason, not some invisible guy in the sky.
Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: chiefs50] #107511 04/29/2012 5:31 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
A good friend of mine has had a similar career and he has two sons in Special Forces; one whom was possibly in on the capture of Saddam Hussein. He tells me that they can carry any handgun they want and that they carry Kimber 1911's.

Re: If could pick any which concealed gun? [Re: Gregg Richter] #107516 04/29/2012 6:22 PM
wheeler45 Offline
addict
addict
My son was also in Special Forces. He has nothing good to say about the 9mm and much praise for the 1911 .45.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 94 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod