Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ammo shortage #107372 04/28/2012 12:14 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
for those of you that don't get or read the Brownells news letter here is a paragraph I thought might interest you.

One of the really big happenings in our industry right now is that the ammo for the very popular calibers − .223, .40, 9mm, .38 and .380 – is becoming more and more scarce. Lead times from the factories are extending out to 3rd and 4th quarter, even into 1st quarter 2013, and the “pipeline” from the factory to the retail store is drying up. What this means is every person who is interested in having these calibers to shoot over the summer appears to be buying as much as possible right now, when they can find it, for fear it will not be available or prices will increase to the point of being ludicrous. Our guys who attended the recent Tulsa Gun Show told us pallets of .223 ammo were disappearing within a day. This bump looks like it will be just like, if not greater than, the 2008 ammunition bump. We also get reports that it is very hard to have AR-15 rifles in stock and the smaller conceal carry firearms are moving in huge volumes this first quarter. We expect that pattern to continue throughout the summer if not all the way to the end of the year. All-in-all, it is going to be a fantastically successful year for the firearms industry.re is a paragraph I thought might interest you.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: ammo shortage [Re: wapitirod] #107386 04/28/2012 3:13 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The revolution will be well armed and well provisioned ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: ammo shortage [Re: wapitirod] #107392 04/28/2012 4:48 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Cabela's and Midway and Sportsman's Guide just sent me new catalogs with tons of ammo in them; Cabela's was an ammo catalog only! That's right, a catalog with nothing in it but ammo. New stuff and new brands (even "Zombie Ammo"!) Yeah, really!

seem to be cropping up everywhere. Is "the shortage" a sales pitch or is it (really) real?

Seems like there are new ammo companies springing up everywhere also that want to cash in on the "shortage."
;\)
Plus new take-off lines from established brands; new "tactical loads", new Self-Defense loads, "threat stopping power" loads, Critical Duty loads, Critical Defense loads; SS Silent Sniper loads; Steel Match ammo; Hyper Clean ammo (is that so the bad guy won't get an infection?)
... you name it. Including Zombie Max ammo loaded specifically for those undead Zombies!?
Glad there is such a shortage.
;\)
\:D

At least for now seems to be no shortage. Seems like this country's entrepeneurs will come forward to meet the demand. Unless some shortage of whatever to produce the ammo happens?? Even then they seem to come up with alternatives; such as steel shot and non-lead bullets and steel casings.

Two local gun shops have several AR's in stock, including the new "Sport" model by Smith & Wesson: an inexpensive but quality AR that shaves costs with no ejection port dust cover and no forward assist. Also the new Smith & Wesson M&P in .300 Whisper.

Hey Rod, there are even "Special Edition" Top Gun Target loads with PINK hulls for the tough enough more masculine trapshooters; to help support breast-cancer research. Not to mention the Wounded Warrior loads with red, white and blue hulls.

Last edited by Gregg Richter; 04/29/2012 5:21 PM. Reason: Add pink for Rod

Re: ammo shortage [Re: Gregg Richter] #107421 04/28/2012 6:48 PM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
it's real, I've had several calls from people having a hard time finding guns in their local shops although they are still out there if you look. I was also in Sportsmans Warehouse and Wholesale Sports which is the Canadian company that bought out the majority of Sportsmans stores and both were already running out of powder, primers, brass and some ammo was either gone or low. I've also noticed from talking to my customers around the country that the southwest seems to be feeling it the hardest so far. It will continue to get worse until after the election at which time it should either get better or much, much worse.

I'm actually thinking about building an AR in 7.62x39 to go with my AK's, that way I don't have to stock up on two different calibers for my tactical rifles although I'm sure I'd end up hooked on something new and have to by more uppers and then lowers and it will be just like when I got in T/C's the first time. Guns can really be a pain in the ass, I'll never get a hot rod project going again with this gun disease I have.

Ok I would do pink for the breast cancer stuff, but I still might have to close some idiots mouth.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: ammo shortage [Re: wapitirod] #107469 04/29/2012 12:41 PM
chiefs50 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I have to chuckle over these "shortages". A few years ago there was a shortage of ammo of all sorts, including .22 LR. It was caused by panic-stricken hoarders who bought the hype that President Obama was going to somehow "outlaw" or severely restrict gun/ammo sales/availability. I would routinely see posts from guys who proudly stated they had bought out all the ammo at this store or that. A number even posted photos of their hoarded stash. Some of these folks were opportunists who were re-selling the ammo for a hefty profit at local gun shows. Others were Chicken Little types only too ready to believe a politically-motivated rumor.

CSM, Retired
I believe in science and reason, not some invisible guy in the sky.
Re: ammo shortage [Re: chiefs50] #107482 04/29/2012 1:28 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Believe what you want but, there have been multiple attempts to classify lead as a toxic controlled substance which would allow the EPA to ban its sale and use. This was a direct attempt by the anti gunners to hit us below the belt. They have tried to circumvent the 2nd amendment but have failed, so ammo is the next logical attack. Just like Health care got rammed thru a new ammo law could get rammed thru as well depending on who is in charge. Calling folks chicken little becuase their hedging their bets plays right into the anti gunners hands. Divide and conquer.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: ammo shortage [Re: chiefs50] #107540 04/30/2012 12:17 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: chiefs50
I have to chuckle over these "shortages". A few years ago there was a shortage of ammo of all sorts, including .22 LR. It was caused by panic-stricken hoarders who bought the hype that President Obama was going to somehow "outlaw" or severely restrict gun/ammo sales/availability. I would routinely see posts from guys who proudly stated they had bought out all the ammo at this store or that. A number even posted photos of their hoarded stash. Some of these folks were opportunists who were re-selling the ammo for a hefty profit at local gun shows. Others were Chicken Little types only too ready to believe a politically-motivated rumor.

In case you hadn't heard Eric Holder has already stated that the 2nd Amendment doesn't give private citizens the right to own firearms of any kind and if you haven't noticed obama has protected him well after most presidents would have canned him. The fast and furious fiasco was never meant to catch anyone it was meant to lay blame on American gun dealers, they had the target of their investigation in custody 3 times and everytime DC ordered him released. But they did manage to get back door gun registration on semi auto rifles in the south west. The only reason we didn't see an attack on the 2nd during his first term is that he expended his political capital on obamacare which also can and most likely will affect gun ownership. If he's re elected then the gloves are off and dozens upon dozens of breaches of the Constitution we've seen so far are nothing to whats coming. If you want to keep your head in the sand buying into the left winb bas and vote for that idiot again that's your business but don't try pissing down our backs and say it's raining.

Re: ammo shortage [Re: wapitirod] #107577 04/30/2012 2:47 PM
esoxman50 Offline
Wapitirod is a very wise man. A second term for Obama would have us all in chains and defenseless,{not to mention speaking Chinese}.

Joe W

Re: ammo shortage [Re: esoxman50] #107627 05/01/2012 12:53 AM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
You"re going to see things drying up the closer we get to election time. Ammo, some guns and reloading components.

Re: ammo shortage [Re: racksmasher] #107687 05/01/2012 9:31 PM
chas3stix Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
This sounds like a remake of a very bad movie.....The Dems are coming...the Dems are coming. The first issue of this film was the elections of Bill Clinton.

NRA Benefactor life Member
Re: ammo shortage [Re: chas3stix] #107689 05/01/2012 9:50 PM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
good point and I'm afraid their will be a remake of his "assault weapons ban" in the future if the election goes badly.

Re: ammo shortage [Re: wapitirod] #107713 05/02/2012 12:31 AM
sc1911cwp Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I fear the Romulans.

Re: ammo shortage [Re: sc1911cwp] #107715 05/02/2012 12:40 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You know, our, huh humm, friends on the left kinda do look like Romulans now that you mention it. Ya if the election goes south, there will definately be another assualt weapons ban mag capacity ban and probably a tax on ammo. Just some places where they can hit us below the belt!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: ammo shortage [Re: chas3stix] #107853 05/03/2012 1:47 PM
Wayland137 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
It may be there is a shortage, and maybe not - but the people who have their own stock, won't have to worry about it... and if not, then they are helping the economy by making purchases in an industry we can all support as being helathy and neccesary, so I say buy it up!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod