Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
special touches for double actions? #7750 03/01/2005 7:03 PM
KYODE Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
i've had the redhawk in my avatar since about 1986. i get to thinkin sometimes about having it tuned up, or adding some custom touches.
what can be done to improve it overall?

i had a lighter trigger spring put in years ago, so the trigger pull is not too bad. i used the lightest spring in the kit and seem to have misfires ocassionally with cci primers. after switching to federal primers in it, problems havn't cropped up recently.
shoots pretty good really imo. i shot about 1.75" at 50 yards in a postal match here once upon a time.

stush..........or anyone? care to give me a run down on good options for accuracy enhancement or special touches worthwhile?

not sure when the $ will be available but i've thought about doin sumthin for a long time.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: special touches for double actions? [Re: KYODE] #7751 03/02/2005 3:09 AM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Kyode,

The possibilities are endless. If you are happy with it as is, maybe you don't need to tinker with it?

On the other hand,...

Seriously, take a look at some custom work to see what catches your eye. Have you ever read Hamilton Bowen's book "The Custom Revolver"? It is not a cheap read, but it is worth the purchase price.

Stush
Re: special touches for double actions? [Re: Stush] #7752 03/02/2005 12:30 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have that book Stush, it is excellent!!! Could you imagine working under him for 5 years or so. MAN the things he could teach you.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: special touches for double actions? [Re: Tigger] #7753 03/02/2005 2:34 PM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Agreed. I would love to be able spend even a few weeks working in his shop. Like any other business, this is one that the more you learn the more you realize how little you truly know. The best experience by far comes from working with someone that has "been there, done that". It saves you from repeating the mistakes that they made years ago and tightens up the learning curve.

Stush
Re: special touches for double actions? [Re: Tigger] #7754 03/02/2005 4:16 PM
KYODE Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
nope...never read it. not sure if i'd like readin it if it was too deep into gunsmithing

i was just wondering if the crown, and forcing cone was worth redoing.....or if the present trigger spring could be improved upon......or what else could be done to improve the action?

without gettin in to too much $. i know you could go as deep as ya wanted in custom work.

Last edited by KYODE; 03/02/2005 4:18 PM.

Re: special touches for double actions? [Re: KYODE] #7755 03/02/2005 9:49 PM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
kyode,

To address your points:

1) A new spring probably wont do much more than your current one

2) With regard to the action, a good action job addresses much more than just the springs. Typically, all rough edges left by the factory are removed, sear engagement surfaces are polished, or may have their angle of engagement changed as appropriate. The end result is smooth action with a trigger that breaks nice and crisp. You could have an action job and replace your current hammer spring with a heavier one and still have a better trigger pull than you do now. An action job will cost you between $50 and $150 depending upon where you have the work done.

3) The crown and throat - Neither of these could hurt. Factory crowns are usually pretty good, but a good target crown can improve accuracy. Almost all factory throats can be improved by Taylor throating. That involves running a reamer into the rear of the barrel to remove the rifling for about 1 to 1.5 calibers in length. Accuracy almost always improves with Taylor throating. If your are going to do one, I would recommend that you do both while you are having them done.

4) Bowen's book is not hard core gunsmithing. It is more like a coffee table book for revolver junkies. It basically shows, in outstanding photographs and well written descriptions, what is possible with custom revolver work.

Stush
Re: special touches for double actions? [Re: Stush] #7756 03/03/2005 12:37 AM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
I concur with Tigger and Stush about Bowen's book. What a wonderful read. I've read it twice and still get goosebumps when I see what can be done to revolvers, especially Rugers. I had some work done by Bowen a few years ago and the workmanship is impeccable. I just wish I could have a full custom Ruger done by him, but alas I'm poor. I had the Taylor throating done and what a difference in the gun especially with cast stuff. Kyode, I think you should splurge and buy the book and have your wife read it to you at bedtime.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: special touches for double actions? [Re: magman] #7757 03/03/2005 4:38 AM
KYODE Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
thanks stush, now that gives me stuff to look for and think about.
the inverted crown i've seen on ssk stuff looks cool. do others like yourself do that?

i shoot mostly jacketed bullets. does the taylor throating help with jacketed bullets also?

hmmmmmm............a bed time story i'll ask her

NOT!

Re: special touches for double actions? [Re: KYODE] #7758 03/03/2005 4:39 AM
KYODE Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
another question that comes to mind.......what is involved in shipping a double action revolver to get custom work done?

Re: special touches for double actions? [Re: KYODE] #7759 03/03/2005 7:08 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Just for your info, I just ordered bowens book direct from bowen classics and it was 50dollars and some change with shipping.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: special touches for double actions? [Re: KYODE] #7760 03/03/2005 12:50 PM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Kyode,

Anyone the can run a lathe can cut the "inverted" style target crown.

As for shipping a handgun to a smith, you have two options:

1) You can send it yourself using a common carrier such as UPS or FEDEX (NOT THE USPS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!). These carriers will require you to use one of their next day delivery services. This is not due to any federal regulation, it is their way of controlling theft within their system. Nice, isn't it? They can't keep their employees from stealing your stuff so they punish you with higher shipping rates! Unfortuneately, these carriers are the most accessible for the average guy and we have to deal with them.

2) If you have a friend that is an FFL, HE or SHE can send the gun to a smith using USPS Priority Mail. This method is much cheaper and in many cases faster than the equivalent common carrier's ground service. In fact the USPS currently has a $7 anywhere in the US Priority mail box that is big enough to ship most handguns. Add insurance and delivery confirmation and you should be able to get your gun to a smith for about $10. ONLY AN FFL CAN USE THE USPS TO SHIP A HANDGUN. Please don't do this yourself - it is not legal for you to do so.

FYI, Bowen's book is now available through Brownells for less than what you can get it from Bowen directly.

Stush

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod