Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What to do? #108017 05/05/2012 6:22 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I probably already know what you guys will say but here it goes. In recent times every dime I've taken in has gone to the business so now with tax returns here I have a choice, do I put all of the $$ back into the business or do I splurge and buy myself a new toy? The one in particular I'm looking at is the Single Ten from Ruger. If I do get the gun then I need to decide on 4 5/8 Blue or SS in either 4 5/8 or 5.5". I hate decisions. I was thinking about using the money to buy some rifle bluing tanks but then again do I really want to expand into rifles when I already can't see the light of day?

Last edited by wapitirod; 05/05/2012 6:23 AM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: What to do? [Re: wapitirod] #108022 05/05/2012 1:21 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
Working capital is always good to have on hand. You could claim the tuning work on the Single Ten as a marketing expense because you will use that gun as an in-house testimonial with before and after pics and before and after accuracy tests.

If you are THE revolver/pistol man, focus on your passion and your strengths. If you get too far from your first love, everything will suffer.

Not much of an answer, but things to ponder.
\:D

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: What to do? [Re: guitarpicva] #108025 05/05/2012 2:16 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Rod,

Owning my own business, I am leaning towards just flat out saving what I can, right now. between the elections and the appearance that the economy might be taking a downturn again, my lean would be towards saving, then perhaps investing in something to expand the business, in that order.

Right now there seem to be two soild work field choices for weathering the economy. Anything gun field related, or anything cell phone or IT related ;^)

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer on the prospects of buying new guns, but for many of us, in the bigger picture right now, we really do have more than we can already shoot.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: What to do? [Re: Bearbait in NM] #108029 05/05/2012 2:37 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I would go with the Stainless...

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: What to do? [Re: KRal] #108034 05/05/2012 3:32 PM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Bearbait, your not a downer at all, our govt is the downer and the reasons you stated are another just another of why I'm going back and fourth. I guess I could always do like they say "when you don't know what to do, do nothing"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: What to do? [Re: Bearbait in NM] #108038 05/05/2012 6:28 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Bearbait in NM
Rod,

Owning my own business, I am leaning towards just flat out saving what I can, right now. between the elections and the appearance that the economy might be taking a downturn again, my lean would be towards saving, then perhaps investing in something to expand the business, in that order.

Right now there seem to be two soild work field choices for weathering the economy. Anything gun field related, or anything cell phone or IT related ;^)

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer on the prospects of buying new guns, but for many of us, in the bigger picture right now, we really do have more than we can already shoot.

Craig

I would agree; well said, Craig.

Re: What to do? [Re: Gregg Richter] #108041 05/05/2012 7:17 PM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
you guys are probably right, only reason I was really considering it is that when I got hurt I sold all 4 of my Single Six's and never replaced them. I also sold my 22T/C barrels so the only 22 pistol I have at the moment is an old heritage rough rider.

I was looking at used Single Six's but I can go through my vendors and by a new single six for what they want for used ones and I can buy a Single ten for not much more.

Last edited by wapitirod; 05/05/2012 7:18 PM.

Re: What to do? [Re: wapitirod] #108043 05/05/2012 9:47 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Rod, bank the money for now. Stick it in a CD for 6 months. Atleast it will earn ya 2% if you shop around. Then in 6 months if the economy makes a come back go out and buy yourself want you want. At this point in time I would be horing as much cash as you could! November is only 6 months away!!!!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: What to do? [Re: cfish2] #108044 05/05/2012 10:22 PM
Team Amish 1 Offline
I am always saving money by shooting lots of .22's and comparing it to the money I would have spent shooting centerfire.

In other words, I'd be one of the instigators that says, "Stainless".

Re: What to do? [Re: wapitirod] #108046 05/06/2012 12:02 AM
PythonHunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm going to be an enabler as well, go stainless. Sell the rough rider later and use that money as stick away.

Good luck and shoot straight.

PH

Re: What to do? [Re: Bearbait in NM] #108047 05/06/2012 12:09 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Rod,

Craig

Mr. Lead Baloon ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: What to do? [Re: s4s4u] #108049 05/06/2012 1:15 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
LOL, yeah this economy sucks but I've been blessed with this business to have constant work and actually to have work backed up. Sometimes I get the itch for a new toy but it's not a priority. The last toy I got was my Glock and that was over a year ago and before that were my AK's but those are all defensive weapons. I can't complain too much though because I've built myself some pretty cool guns but shooting big bores all the time does tend to eat into the piggy bank also.

Re: What to do? [Re: wapitirod] #108054 05/06/2012 2:33 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Hello Rod! Consider yourself lucky to even have the luxury of making a decision concerning fun or saving! Many people in this country would love to have the "problem" of making that decision. So congrats on having a hard decision! :-)

My rule of thumb is that I never use money to buy toys if I have a bill OF ANY KIND that I'm not at least one month ahead on. And don't EVER draw on the savings account even if ya think you can put the money right back in there.

Money in hand is a sure thing. Everything else is just speculative.

If ya go for the gun, I say stainless!!!

Last edited by raptortrapper; 05/06/2012 2:52 AM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: What to do? [Re: s4s4u] #108055 05/06/2012 2:47 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Rod,

Craig

Mr. Lead Baloon ;-)

Ha ha, I know that is in jest, but I would call him Mr. Wisdom, and NOT in jest.
;\)

Hey Rod; don't despair, if ya get real desparate I might sell you MY Single Six; just so I could get the $$$ for another toy.

But not now, wait at least six months!

Re: What to do? [Re: Gregg Richter] #108059 05/06/2012 4:54 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Yeah, you guys have brought me back from the brink. It's funny too because I was on the checkout page several times last night and about to click the final submit but I just couldn't do it. I found today I may "need" to spend some money on the business and if that comes to pass then the extra money saved from not buying the gun will be nice to have.
Thanks guys,
Rod

Re: What to do? [Re: wapitirod] #108060 05/06/2012 6:14 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Good for you!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: What to do? [Re: Ernie] #108069 05/06/2012 2:21 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Lead Baloon here. pretty funny, that is what we used to call Ravioli that my grandmother made. They went down that way, at least ;^) Used to have contests to see who could down the most. Dad always won.

Definately goofy times we are living in now. Hard to make any financial decisions with any certainty. I only have one gun shop in town, and I just stay the heck out of there unless I know I have spending money. I am probably weaker than most when it comes to impulse gun purchases ;^)

Rod, glad things worked out. I figured you probably had more work than you can keep up with. Great place to be, especially these days. I am a Land Surveyor, so I am tied to the real estate market in a big way. While I do have work these days, about half of it any more is foreclosure related. Hard not to be a downer when you are hit every day with people's broken and lost dreams.

Lots of us are struggling to recover from the bottom. I guess I am fortunate to have lots of 22's to pick from to shoot ;^) Sounds like you do need to put a good 22 on the short list.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod