Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question for Wapitirod #108299 05/08/2012 5:08 PM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I have a SBHH, in 44mag, (not bisley, as I actually prefer the old plow handle) and an older SBH in 44mag, with the dragoon style trigger guard. Can I put a grip frame for a SBHH, with the rounded trigger guard, on the older SBH, without it being an unholy nightmare cluster pain in the behind? If it's possible, would it be a fairly simple swap? Im pretty comfortable with the guts in a Ruger single action, and have had all of mine apart several times, for cleaning, polishing, and just for practice. I wont own a gun that I cant do light repairs on. Thanks in advance for any help or insight, and have a blessed day. If anyone else has insight, or has done the swap I'm looking at, please chime on in!

Re: Question for Wapitirod [Re: Boot] #108308 05/08/2012 7:17 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
As long as your not talking 3 screw old your fine to do the swap. The only thing you run into sometimes is the fit along the surfaces. The Rugers are all pretty close but sometimes you might have a seem that isn't perfecly flush. You don't have to dissasemble the trigger and hammer assemblies, just remove the hammer and trigger pin, and the 5 grip frame screws, the cylinder latch plunger and spring will come out with the grip frame and just watch the pawl spring when you put the grip frame back on.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Question for Wapitirod [Re: wapitirod] #108314 05/08/2012 10:40 PM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
No Sir, its a new model, not a 3 screw. Could any seam that wasn't a "perfect " fit be stoned slowly and hand fitted? I've had the frame off of my SBHH before, and dont think it'd be a problem to swap it out, but I wanted some input from someone a bit wiser on the matter. Thanks for takin the time to reply, and if you have any suggestions on where to get a new grip frame, I'd appreciate the direction.

Re: Question for Wapitirod [Re: Boot] #108315 05/08/2012 11:01 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
yes, you can generally use a fine file and then blend it with some fine wet/dry sandpaper and then use some cold blue to touch up. If it's pretty close I wouldn't worry about it because once you start removing finish it can be hard to exactly match the metal surface and blue without doing the whole gun.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Question for Wapitirod [Re: wapitirod] #108323 05/09/2012 1:02 AM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks again. Am I correct to understand that the super blackhawk model frames are different depending on barrel length? The longer barrels have a wider hammer? Or are the frames the same, and just the thumb pad on the hammer different?

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod