Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BEAR HUNT 2012 #108657 05/12/2012 8:15 PM
sixshot Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Finally found my camera, I was starting to get worried, figured maybe Callshot had pawned it for a glass of water.
Our recent 6 day bear hunt turned into part of 2 days. We got rained on, then snow & wind, then more rain......did I mention it rained, holy cow did it rain. We sat in the camper day after day, at least we had several movies to watch including North & South, great movie.
The wind picked up our awning & took it 50 yds into a large pond.

When we finally got out we had to go slow with the 4 wheelers through 11 miles of mud! We hadn't been on the mountain 10 minutes & spotted our first bears, over the next 6 hours we had spotted 15 total, mostly sows with 2 little Obamas in tow, but 3 were shooters.
As we prepared to make a stalk on a nice Cinammon phase bear a snow storm moved in & swallowed us up like Hoover & a Huckleberry shake. We hunkered down under some pines & waited but the storm hung in there for 2 hrs & we decided that Ruth Ann's cooking was more inviting than sitting there freezing to death.
I have a grandson thats 13 & this was his first bear hunt, he did smoke a very nice 4X4 muley buck with me last fall but he had a dose of bear fever that wasn't going to go away until he whacked one.
The next partial day we got back up there quite late again because of the mud, just couldn't make any time. Still we managed to locate more bears including the same Cinammon boar we had spotted the day before. He was in the small little draw except 200 yds lower, he was busy munching on fresh green grass, sun flowers & wild onions.
When a bear feeds it doesn't pay much attention to whats going on around it, they are the supreme predator (except for wolves) & unless they hear or smell something they just keep right on eating. If you are hunting spot & stalk like we always do & you are quiet & have the wind you can slip right in on a bear & kick him right in the Biden (Joe).
With his dad coaching they started to close the gap, since I was about a mile away I didn't know what was taking place until I heard a faint echo roll up the valley, its always a good thing when you only hear one shot.
There is some of the finest bear hunting in the US in central Idaho. Just draw a straight line from Boise over to the Montana border & all the way to Canada & you have prime bear hunting, much of it you can take 2 bears.

Using a custom 243, same one he torched the muley with he went prone while dad shot the bear with the range finder, Mr. Ziess whispered....375 yds. Telling Ridge where to hold & to take his time he sent a Federal factory load whistling across 375 yds of some of the prettiest country in Idaho & center punched his first bruin. It was hugs & dancing as father & son shared a moment that will last forever, those times are special & I remember them well.
After waking up another grandson (Brock) we headed up the long mountain & soon found them getting their packs ready. After dropping off the mountain, crossing a small stream & climbing 2/3's the way up Mt. McKinley (felt like it) we found Ridges bear, what a dandy, probably a 4 yr old boar, nice big head, long powerful claws & a pelt that would have been fabulous 10 days ago, he had done quite a bit of rubbing, indicating the bears had been out for several days.
This is a mammy & 2 Obammys at about 900 yds.

This is Ridge's Cinammon phase boar taken at 375 yds.

This is the proud mom with her 4 son's.

These bears are muscled up like Fermin & have paws like Hoover.

We normally go a week to 10 days earlier but for various reasons this one was later. Mom & the 2 little boys had watched the whole show & everybody was having a great time. After helping skin the bear & removing one front shoulder I bid them farewell & took off with Brock to hunt another area. We had a long way to go & it was late afternoon.
After waking Brock up (again) I point across a long canyon to a black spot that was moving across the bottom part of a grassy meadow. After making a quick check for cubs I decided this bear was a shooter & took off. Ridges bear was just over 5 feet, a nice boar, nothing like his dads monster from a few years ago but a very respectable first bear. This Blackie 800 yds from me appeared to be a bit bigger than Ridges bear so I knew it was worth the chase.
The wind was blowing up the canyon, I'm on one side, mr. bear is on the other side & theres a small stream in the bottom, perfect. I had to keep the wind in my favor, if I crossed over the bear would have me in 2 seconds, there nose is amazing, I had to make the stalk from my side, at least until I got beyond the bear & then make my final approach.
Even though I didn't have my fast Croc's on I closed the gap fairly fast, I was mostly walking straight without any uphill or downhill travel. At 200 yds the bear was looking bigger all the time, he's still stuffing fresh grass in his mouth & I'm quite pleased so far. I am a little concerned about running out of time, it was about 6:45 & I needed to make something happen in the next hour.
The bear would feed out of sight for 5 minutes or so & then feed right out in the open, when he was in the open I was very careful, when he fed out of sight I hustled ever closer. My custom Alan Harton 5 shot 480 hung gently over my left ribs, nestled in one of Mike Barranti's works of art, the North West Hunter. Inside was 380 grs of lead posion that I hoped to donate to mr. bear. These are HP's & I was certain they would do the job if I did mine, I had no doubt they would break both shoulders.
Some of the stuff I'm crawling through is causing a few swear words, my arms were getting cut from the many sticker bushes I was pushing aside. I had stripped down to bare minimum because I really sweat when I'm after a critter.
Finally I'm almost even with the large black & we're about level with each other, he doesn't know it but the next 30 seconds are very important to both of us. Just ahead of him is a patch of heavy brush, maybe 30 yds wide, in the center of it is a small spring seeping out of the moutain. I have him at about 90-100 yds but decide to let him walk in & then I'll move ahead 20 yds & be slightly ahead of him when he walks out.
He does & I do & I sit down, slide my left wrist through the leather thong on my walking stick & take a couple of sight pictures. The bear is still out of sight, I thumb back the hammer on the big Bisley & smile....this is make up time baby. 3 years ago I had gun problems on a very nice bear & went home kicking horse turds, this time I planned to even the score.
I figured at this distance & locked in with my left wrist thorugh the sling I was probably quite capable of hitting a pop can at this distance. Get ready bear, hell's coming!
I waited 2-3 minutes no bear, no problem, he's been out of sight longer than that in the last 1 1/2 hours. I wait another 2-3 minutes & then things got really crazy. I glanced over my left shoulder & 150 yds down the mountain & 50 yds higher is a bear. Whats going on, did he scent me & run, he couldn't have, if he had scented me he would be blasting up that moutain like a black Hummer. No, this had to be a second bear, I keep glancing across into the brush, no bear, I'm running out of time & don't know if I've got 1 bear or 2.
I look at my watch & decide I have to go after the bear to my left, I hurry down to the small stream, cross over & climb about 100 yds, now if there was a bear in the brush I've gave him my scent, I'll never know. I start easing through some scattered brush to my left, both arms are bleeding from the beating they're taking from the stickers, can't wait.
When you get in really close to a bear its nerve wracking because they can hear so well, I'm trying to hurry but go slow at the same time. I glass back acoss the moutain to see if my grandson can see the second bear, he points ahead of me & higher, the bears still there. Now I'm sweating like Callshot at the cash register & the sun is getting lower. I decide to walk out into the open & speed up, my grandson points ahead of me, the bear is feeding into some heavy pines.
If I go in the pines its almost impossible to close the gap without him hearing me, plus the wind will probaly bust me, I'm beat again & I know it, so close but I've failed again, what a hunt, what a stalk, I love it, I live for it.
Dropping down to the crick I drink 3 gallons plus 2 quarts (seems like it) shoulder my pack & make the long hike up the mountain to my disappointed grandson, he thinks I never fail, I've failed lots of times.
This is Shane's monster 7/ 9" boar from 3 years ago.

My 6' 9" boar taken 4 years ago with a 10" 44 maggie.

Dick

Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: sixshot] #108659 05/12/2012 9:08 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Sounds like a great time spent with great folks!!! Can't go wrong there :-)

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: sixshot] #108666 05/12/2012 11:22 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Some pretty colorful wadin' skivvies there Dick ;-)

Great story.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: s4s4u] #108670 05/13/2012 12:21 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The great thing about hunting is, there always next season. LOL on the skivies!!!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: cfish2] #108677 05/13/2012 1:06 AM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Great story and pics, Dick. Congrats to the grandson on his first!

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: cfish2] #108678 05/13/2012 2:08 AM
tracker77 Offline
addict
addict
Great story. Sorry about your luck. Hope it turns for you on your next bear hunt.

Do not take your greatness to the graveyard!!
Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: tracker77] #108680 05/13/2012 3:05 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I really enjoyed your story, Dick; hope you git 'im next time.

Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: Gregg Richter] #108685 05/13/2012 5:30 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Great story and some absolutely beautiful country there

Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: tradmark] #108688 05/13/2012 10:57 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Great story Dick - congratulations to your Grandson!

One good thing about failed stalks/hunts - the ones that get away get bigger!!

Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: SChunter] #108689 05/13/2012 1:32 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I always look forward to this hunt report! Thanks, Dick and congratulations to your grandson of his success!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: Whitworth] #108691 05/13/2012 4:16 PM
sixshot Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm a little bit surprised no one called me on using the HP's, its something that I seldom do because I always expect an exit hole. With this big heavy slug (380 grs) I figured it would probably shear the nose off & still have lots of lead, perhaps 300 grs or so to keep on driving.
If things had worked out I would liked to have punched him in both shoulders to see what the big slug could do...maybe next time. My guess is, it would have clobbered him with little problem. A spring bear, although it looks big because of the long hair is actually a lot smaller than it would be in the fall.
We estimated this boar to weigh about 200 lbs, in the fall he could go as much as 300 lbs. I would guess this bear was maybe 12" deep through the shoulders, minus the hair.
Those of you who have hunted bears know that it can be very addicting, its probably my favorite animal to hunt. There's just something about spot & stalk & being in close with a bear that really trips my switch, I never get tired of hunting them & Idaho is high on the list for black bears.

Dick

Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: sixshot] #108693 05/13/2012 4:36 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Congratulations to Ridge, Dick! 375 yds. with a .243 ... that pretty much answers the criticism of .243's for hunting.
Remember, you can still use that Harton .480 for something else this year!
Will I see you in Raton?

Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: sixshot] #108702 05/13/2012 11:29 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

Luck was not with you, hopeful lady luck smiles on you this fall

You will end your bear drought this fall I believe

Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: jwp475] #108712 05/14/2012 4:07 AM
sixshot Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Ken, yes I'll be at Raton in a few weeks, looking forward to it very much, seeing all the guys & just hanging out. Funny thing about that 243, Shane didn't have time to load so he bought Federal factory 80 gr ammo! Ya, 80 gr. stuff, thats what Ridge killed the big buck with last fall too!
You don't have to retreive the meat anymore in Idaho on black bears, I did have them save a front shoulder for some friends that wanted it, 2 days later the guy handed me a perfectly expanded 243 slug, don't know what bullets Federal loads but wow, it worked great. Ken, I'm seeing lots of big fat rock chucks, know anybody that can hit one.........Rock Chuck Central!!

John, I still have my tag in my pocket & I know of a few honey holes here close to home & over towards Wyoming, I'll be looking but they are much tougher to locate in the fall, usaully just bump into them while hunting deer or elk.

Dick

Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: sixshot] #108884 05/17/2012 2:01 AM
SBHunter81 Offline
addict
addict
Dick, what bullet did you prefer for the 44 and black bear.

The God who gave us such a beautiful land, wonderful game, and the sport of hunting is worth knowing.
Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: SBHunter81] #108904 05/17/2012 4:42 AM
sixshot Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I used the old tried & true Keith slug (250 gr) with 22 grs of 2400 in my 10 1/2" SBH, I think the shot was about 80-85 yds, don't have my notes in front of me right now but thats pretty close. I was using iron sights at the time. The slug made a complete pass through & he did a spectacular back flip & started rolling down the hill towards me, not fast but at the time it seemed fast!
I've taken a lot of game with that bullet but mostly 21 grs of 2400.

Dick

Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: sixshot] #108905 05/17/2012 4:52 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: sixshot
I'm a little bit surprised no one called me on using the HP's, its something that I seldom do because I always expect an exit hole. With this big heavy slug (380 grs) I figured it would probably shear the nose off & still have lots of lead, perhaps 300 grs or so to keep on driving.
If things had worked out I would liked to have punched him in both shoulders to see what the big slug could do...maybe next time. My guess is, it would have clobbered him with little problem. A spring bear, although it looks big because of the long hair is actually a lot smaller than it would be in the fall.
We estimated this boar to weigh about 200 lbs, in the fall he could go as much as 300 lbs. I would guess this bear was maybe 12" deep through the shoulders, minus the hair.
Those of you who have hunted bears know that it can be very addicting, its probably my favorite animal to hunt. There's just something about spot & stalk & being in close with a bear that really trips my switch, I never get tired of hunting them & Idaho is high on the list for black bears.

Dick

Your right about the addiction, I've only killed two. I shot one with a 7mm Rem mag rifle and one with a Hoyt Magna Tec and i've been hooked since. The only problem is they are alot tougher to get over here west of the cascades and medical issues and work load have slowed me down but I've got out a few times this spring. The east part of the state is similiar to the country you hunt and the success rates are alot higher, especially in the Snake river gorge and the Blue mtns. I'm hoping this fall I can spend more time on it but I live in a rain forest and although I see them every year they are normally blowing across a road in front of me and by the time they've gone a few feet they are history. The nice thing about that though is there are some huge bears around, I've personally seen two in the four hundred pound range and a little 13yr old girl that was deer hunting killed one just under 600 a couple years ago.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: BEAR HUNT 2012 [Re: wapitirod] #108914 05/17/2012 1:10 PM
SBHunter81 Offline
addict
addict
Dick, thanks for the load info...I think it's going to be the one that I work up for an upcoming trip to Montana next spring.

The God who gave us such a beautiful land, wonderful game, and the sport of hunting is worth knowing.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod