Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TC screws size #108977 05/18/2012 12:12 PM
Darrell C Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I have 2 sets of TC rings and bases , one piece SS . I called TC and they said that they do not sell screws for rings. That you have to buy rings too, I paid $50.00+ for them. , that sucks. They said that they did not no screw size, that sucks too. I like to replace with torx head in SS . Anyone no size and place to but

Re: TC screws size [Re: Darrell C] #108979 05/18/2012 12:24 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
It wouldn't hurt to take them to your local gun smith and have them match up some screw for you. He "should" have a lot of those standard items on hand...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: TC screws size [Re: Darrell C] #108986 05/18/2012 1:59 PM
Mark Schronce Offline
The 7-30 Waters barrel I have was 6-48. I know this because they came loose and messed them up. I had them drilled out and tapped to 8-40

Mark

Re: TC screws size [Re: Mark Schronce] #108989 05/18/2012 3:15 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Base screws are 6-48 and the ring screws may be 6-48,6-40 or 6-32

Last edited by wapitirod; 05/18/2012 3:16 PM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: TC screws size [Re: Darrell C] #108997 05/18/2012 6:18 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Darrell C
I have 2 sets of TC rings and bases , one piece SS . I called TC and they said that they do not sell screws for rings. That you have to buy rings too, I paid $50.00+ for them. , that sucks. They said that they did not no screw size, that sucks too. I like to replace with torx head in SS . Anyone no size and place to but

The person that told you that they did not know the screw size was probably just reading the computor parts screen in front of their face. If you had asked for the custom shop (assuming they still have one) those guys are really down to earth (they even did an off-the-record trigger replacement for me that was ... well ... let's just say it was "perfect")
;\)
and they would have told you the screw size so that you could go to Brownell's or similar and just buy the screws you needed.

Here is the link to buy 6-48 in TORX; you just need to know the length or just buy the size you know will be a bit too long and then file them off to fit; it's pretty easy.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=335/Product/LEUPOLD-TORX-SCREWS

After you measure and then file the length, just run the file at about a 30 degree angle to the end of the threads and lightly chamfer it. To test the "perfect length" check each screw separately without loctite in the scope base, tightening it down and making sure that each screw makes the base feel "solid" and tight, ALL BY ITSELF. Then remove it and test the next one; each in it's own hole that it will go into for final. On the final tightening use a little medium strength loctite on the base screws; if you want to, sometimes I also spread a thin layer of loctite along the top of the barrel under the base to help hold it and fill in any tiny voids of metal to metal fit; then after the base is tightened on, wipe off the excess. If done properly you shouldn't have a problem unless the caliber is a "heavy" and then you may need to go to a six screw T-Sob base (I DO NOT mean to open a can of worms here, guys, as far as four screw vs six screw bases.)

;\)

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 101 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod