Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
44MAG RELOADING #109581 05/27/2012 2:53 PM
johnnyG Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Please forgive my ignorance but do you have to re-size once fired brass if it was only fired in your gun?

thanks
johnny

There is no stopping a man who is in the right and keeps on comming.
Re: 44MAG RELOADING [Re: johnnyG] #109584 05/27/2012 3:33 PM
mikefrompa Offline
old hand
old hand
You re-size your brass every time you fire it, weather it was fired in your gun or not. Even when you buy brand new brass you should full length re-size it. New brass is not perfectly round or perfectly sized. I hope this answers your question if I understood it correctly. Good luck.

Re: 44MAG RELOADING [Re: johnnyG] #109588 05/27/2012 4:36 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Like Mike said, you must run through the sizing die each time you load a straightwall case. The sizing die actually undersizes the case slightly so the expander die can open the case mouth back up for the bullet and maintain proper case tension.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: 44MAG RELOADING [Re: s4s4u] #109590 05/27/2012 4:51 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Another tip: buy a carbide resizer die if you don't already have one; then you can skip the "lube" process on the straight wall cases, IMO.

I know you asked about .44 mag, but in the case of rifle type bottleneck cases, once the case has been full length resized and fired in your chamber, some reloaders will only neck size by backing off the resizer die, and then use those rounds again in the same chamber; and usually you will be ok. However, for ANY hunting rounds, especially in a single shot pistol, it is always a good idea to check each round to make sure it chambers properly, and in the case of TC SS's, the hammer block will disengage.

And same with straight wall cases, make sure they all go in the revolver cylinder easily and the cylinder will spin freely when loaded.

Re: 44MAG RELOADING [Re: Gregg Richter] #109609 05/27/2012 10:12 PM
johnnyG Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Ok thanks, i loaded some new brass and didn't size it just making sure for the second reload.

Re: 44MAG RELOADING [Re: johnnyG] #109610 05/27/2012 11:04 PM
dogsbreath Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi Johnny,
I may or may not be on base here, but I might understand where you are coming from more so than some of these others. My re-loading experience goes all the way back to January, and some of these guys were weaned on hopps #9. ;-)
When you fire brass it expands to close the breach of the gun. So even if the brass was the right size before you fired it, you expanded it. That is why brass is harder to take out than put into a breach. Also, real light loads can show powder/exaust stains down the outside of them. Hotter loads seal tighter and often don't show this (cowboy action loads vs. magnum loads). So,yeah, resize always.
If I directed this under your understanding, please don't take offence. Sometimes asking the pro can be confuzing because of all the info that they take as standard background knowledge that we newbies just don't have.
Hope that helped.
Dogsbreath

BYW, when I was a kid, we lived in Vestal, right down the road from you. Family had a place on Skaniatlas. The halcyon days of my youth.

Re: 44MAG RELOADING [Re: dogsbreath] #109615 05/28/2012 12:08 AM
johnnyG Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: dogsbreath
Hi Johnny,
I may or may not be on base here, but I might understand where you are coming from more so than some of these others. My re-loading experience goes all the way back to January, and some of these guys were weaned on hopps #9. ;-)
When you fire brass it expands to close the breach of the gun. So even if the brass was the right size before you fired it, you expanded it. That is why brass is harder to take out than put into a breach. Also, real light loads can show powder/exaust stains down the outside of them. Hotter loads seal tighter and often don't show this (cowboy action loads vs. magnum loads). So,yeah, resize always.
If I directed this under your understanding, please don't take offence. Sometimes asking the pro can be confuzing because of all the info that they take as standard background knowledge that we newbies just don't have.
Hope that helped.
Dogsbreath

BYW, when I was a kid, we lived in Vestal, right down the road from you. Family had a place on Skaniatlas. The halcyon days of my youth.

Small world eh, i'm actually in Greene now.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod