Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sundown Marauders #110121 06/04/2012 6:04 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
At first I posted this in Off Topic but then I reviewed the Shooter's Bench definition and quote it here:

"A general discussion forum for all hunting / shooting topics other than handgun hunting."

Therefore, I moved this here:

I just got back from checking my horses right after sundown. As I pulled up to the gate of the pasture I lease, two coyotes crossed the private dirt road 15 yards ahead of the truck and their eyes glowed green in the headlights. They broke into a run heading past the barn into the upper pasture where the owner's horse and burro were. The coyotes disappeared in the trees, but then I saw the little 35 year old burro named Jakey moving quickly and then tripping, as he has very bad arthritis and can't move very well. The coyotes appeared in between some trees and were chasing Jakey around in a circle, but my view was further hampered by the steel bars of a round pen half way between me and the commotion. I quickly grabbed the only firearm within reach: a Savage bolt action .22 rifle and a clip of Eley .22 LR standard velocity Hollow Points. This combo would never be my first choice for this situation but I had a job to do and the seconds were ticking away.

I quickly moved to the edge of the barn and although it was almost dark, I could see the crosshairs clearly. I was catching glimpses now and then through the trees and bars of the action, but it was at least a hundred yards up to where the three were going around and around. I yipped and amazingly one of the coyotes paused in an opening, and I had a broadside shot! Already ready, I squeezed the trigger; my heart hammering with all of the action going on that I was witnessing.

I held a few inches high and that wonderful and unmistakable watermelon-like "plunk" of a .22 hollow point hitting animal greeted my ears. The coyote flinched, then spun and took off.

I went to my truck and grabbed a flashlight; walked up and searched the area in the encroaching darkness. The coyote had run off; very sick which I felt badly about. But I guarantee that coyote will not harass Jakey ever again.

When I told Jeff, the owner of the pastures, he almost fell over backwards thanking me. I suppose it is only a matter of time before the other coyotes get Jakey but it won't be under my watch.

For those not familiar with Colorado coyote hunting law, coyotes are open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. If you hunt them at night on public land, you must notify the local game warden. Not so on private land. Oh and BTW I had permission to hunt there.

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Gregg Richter] #110123 06/04/2012 6:18 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Good for you!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Ernie] #110125 06/04/2012 6:23 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Thanks, Ernie!

I will tell you the rest of the story when I see you in October. They would never believe me here.

;\)

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Gregg Richter] #110135 06/04/2012 12:03 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
here in ME you can shoot animals that are attacking livestock anytime. good job.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: bluecow] #110138 06/04/2012 1:50 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Thanks for sharing, I like to hear stories like that!!

I guess I need to call you some time and get "The rest of the story..."

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: TCTex.] #110141 06/04/2012 3:10 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Sounds like you need to start toting an AR in the truck.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Gary] #110143 06/04/2012 3:19 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
WTG, Gregg! Okla's law is similar except you have to use a shotgun 'at nite'.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Gary] #110145 06/04/2012 4:12 PM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Gary
Sounds like you need to start toting an AR in the truck.

You are right, Gary,and in reality, my Savage .223 was also in the back of my truck, but it was under a blanket and some other gear and it would have taken several more precious seconds to dig it out. My .22 was instantly available and I am actually surprised that I even got a shot. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Gregg Richter] #110147 06/04/2012 6:06 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Good for you, I'm getting tired of laws and people that have allowed domestic livestock to be harrassed with impunity. This state is seeing a big problem with cats. My farier has told me of about a half dozen local horse owners who have had their horses attacked by cats.

Last edited by wapitirod; 06/04/2012 6:07 PM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: wapitirod] #110161 06/04/2012 11:39 PM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
Those A.R.s come in handy.

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: racksmasher] #110163 06/05/2012 12:04 AM
Mn Handgunner Offline
stranger
stranger
GREAT story! The only way it could of ended any better was with TWO dead coyotes.

Minnesota Handgunner,
Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: racksmasher] #110166 06/05/2012 1:34 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Good job Gregg. I had a similar situation Momorial Day night. I was parked in the driveway of a closed cafe here in town about 10:45PM or so talking to a friend while I was actually working. I was enjoying the nice evening talking to my friend and watching the traffic when I hear Coyotes to the northwest. I started to listen more intent and could here a dog of a farmer that lives about 1/2 mile from where I was parked. I always hear this dog when the Coyotes are howling but this time it was different so I hung up the phone and had to investigate.

In the end I found the dog on the north west edge of town. I listened and watched for a few moments and with the aide of a street light I could make out the Coyote through my binoculars. As I watched the dog took off for home and the coyote started heading for the dog, but was running sort of sideways looking at me sitting in my work vehicle.

When I could see Mr. Coyote really good in the scope I gave a couple squeaks on a bulb type mouse squeaker and the coyote stopped broadside for a look see. It was his last look see as as soon as he was motionless the 16" Bushmaster AR-15 barked and the dog made it's way home safely.

I was only about 30 yards from the cloest house. I talked to the guy that lives in that house the next day (he is a good friend and shooting companion) and I told him I was sorry for waking him up and then explained whey I did what I did. He said I exlained for nothing, thanked me for taking out that Coyote that ventures into his yard a lot at night and then told me he never heard me shoot.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: TCTex.] #110170 06/05/2012 3:38 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: TCTex.
Thanks for sharing, I like to hear stories like that!!

I guess I need to call you some time and get "The rest of the story..."

You have my phone number!

;\)

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Larry in SD] #110172 06/05/2012 3:54 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Larry in SD
Good job Gregg. I had a similar situation Momorial Day night. I was parked in the driveway of a closed cafe here in town about 10:45PM or so talking to a friend while I was actually working. I was enjoying the nice evening talking to my friend and watching the traffic when I hear Coyotes to the northwest. I started to listen more intent and could here a dog of a farmer that lives about 1/2 mile from where I was parked. I always hear this dog when the Coyotes are howling but this time it was different so I hung up the phone and had to investigate.

In the end I found the dog on the north west edge of town. I listened and watched for a few moments and with the aide of a street light I could make out the Coyote through my binoculars. As I watched the dog took off for home and the coyote started heading for the dog, but was running sort of sideways looking at me sitting in my work vehicle.

When I could see Mr. Coyote really good in the scope I gave a couple squeaks on a bulb type mouse squeaker and the coyote stopped broadside for a look see. It was his last look see as as soon as he was motionless the 16" Bushmaster AR-15 barked and the dog made it's way home safely.

I was only about 30 yards from the cloest house. I talked to the guy that lives in that house the next day (he is a good friend and shooting companion) and I told him I was sorry for waking him up and then explained whey I did what I did. He said I exlained for nothing, thanked me for taking out that Coyote that ventures into his yard a lot at night and then told me he never heard me shoot.

Larry

Great Story Larry! Nice job, and while working!

Gotta love those AR's; I recently bought one and am in the "playing mode" with it; haven't killed anything with it yet.

Many several years ago I owned a Ruger Ranch Rifle (.223) and called in and killed a coyote with it; but over-all I was't satisfied with the accuracy of that Ruger so I sold it. I didn't trust the "accuracy potential" of semi-auto .223's from that experience, but things have changed a bunch since then with the accuracy of the AR's built these days, and I really like mine.

It will be blooded soon...

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Mn Handgunner] #110173 06/05/2012 3:55 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Thunder Bay
GREAT story! The only way it could of ended any better was with TWO dead coyotes.

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Gregg Richter] #110179 06/05/2012 4:52 AM
minnesotahunter Offline
old hand
old hand
Great Story! I am glad you posted it here, as I probly wouldn't have seen it in the off topic section. I also am waiting to get my AR blooded on some yotes...

Also, would this mean in the future that it would be appropriate to post bow kill here also?

Thanks for the story.
MN

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: minnesotahunter] #110180 06/05/2012 5:07 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: minnesotahunter
Great Story! I am glad you posted it here, as I probly wouldn't have seen it in the off topic section. I also am waiting to get my AR blooded on some yotes...

Also, would this mean in the future that it would be appropriate to post bow kill here also?

Thanks for the story.
MN

You are welcome for the story.

As for bowhunting posted here: yes sir; bring it on.

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: wapitirod] #110183 06/05/2012 5:35 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
Good for you, I'm getting tired of laws and people that have allowed domestic livestock to be harrassed with impunity. This state is seeing a big problem with cats. My farier has told me of about a half dozen local horse owners who have had their horses attacked by cats.

Rod, I hate to assume but do you mean mountain lions?

Here on the front range of Colorado, due to the influx of people moving here the past 15-25 years, the big cats have had to adjust by taking dogs and cats from the neighborhoods, because their natural prey (deer) have been driven away. Yet the laws (people-driven by those who live on the front range, imagine that) concerning hunting the lions have gotten even more restrictive.

This has even had a huge influence in other units where the deer have been reduced drastically by too many big cats. Case in point: the unit where I killed my 204 inch mule deer in 2003 with my Encore pistol is almost DEVOID of deer.

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Gregg Richter] #110185 06/05/2012 5:43 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
yep I was talking cougars, since they stopped the use of dogs which wasn't the choice of ODFW but instead was voted on by the people they have reduced the cost of tags from 110.00 in the 1980's to 14.00 now and the season is also open year round and there is a two cat limit in many parts of the state. All that still hasn't brought the numbers down. They haven't come close to making quota since the laws changed. We are losing a large portion of our deer and elk herds to the big cats. They figure a mature lion will kill up to four deer or one elk a week and now we have the wolves which are even worse. The wolves have already started killing livestock for fun which is a bad sign and the states answer is to pay off the farmers for not killing the wolves which is a felony even if they are killing livestock.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: wapitirod] #110187 06/05/2012 7:43 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Stupid politicians at it again... They are just as bad as the #@&% wolves.

I just had a thought... I think I'm going to name my 460 smith and wesson "Mother Nature". That way, when one of those idiotic animal rights activists says we should "just let mother nature take its course", I can reply...

"Oh, she will, trust me!!!"

Last edited by raptortrapper; 06/05/2012 8:03 AM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Raptortrapper] #110188 06/05/2012 4:24 PM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper

I just had a thought... I think I'm going to name my 460 smith and wesson "Mother Nature". That way, when one of those idiotic animal rights activists says we should "just let mother nature take its course", I can reply...

"Oh, she will, trust me!!!"

I like that!

\:D

Re: Sundown Marauders [Re: Gregg Richter] #110189 06/05/2012 4:26 PM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Well, the coyotes were howling around the house last night; avenging their brother even though the incident took place miles away.

They seem to have a way of knowing...

;\)

\:D

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod