Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pros and Cons: Bow vs Gun! [Re: jwp475] #110869 06/17/2012 5:57 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: jwp475
 Originally Posted By: 430man
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
I think something else that comes into play to is you boys in the south and east are used to being able to shoot alot of deer with high success rates. Here in the west most mule deer hunts are on a draw so you may only be able to hunt with a firearm every 2 to 5 years but bow seasons are normally general tags. Where I'm at you can hunt blacktails on a general tag but statewide the success rate is around 10%. The point being when you can only take one deer a year if your lucky you put more thought into how you want to try and take it.

Yes, move east!
;\)

I shoot 5 to 7 deer a season but only until I can not give meat away. My yard is full of deer every day. I put two in my freezer and give neighbors deer.
Down south I guess they are like rats!
In your situation, you need a rifle or you will not have any venison.
Deer in the woods are still deer in the woods and very hard to get a shot at no matter how many are here. But chances are much better.
I remember the days if you seen a deer in Ohio, you called the paper. I still managed a bow kill every season, then PA, Mich and WV. Even then I would get 4 deer.
As more deer are allowed I have to quit because I just get tired of cutting meat.
I wish you could hunt with me.

How many Deer have you taken with a handgun?

I do not count anymore, but maybe 125 or more. Much easier then archery! Many on a dead run in the thick too. I have been here over 25 to 26 years and around 5 a year with revolvers. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Sometimes I get 3 with a bow, sometimes 1. Depends, archery is more work. I get lazy.
Somewhere in there are a few with a rifle and ML and even a cap and ball revolver. Maybe 2 with a single shot pistol.
I am entirely sick of gutting and cutting meat.
It gets old and after I pull the trigger it is "oh, nuts, more work."
My question is 'How many deer have you killed JWP?" I am not proud, it is a life that I thank God for. It is meat to eat, not a thing to brag about. I do not waste an ounce.

Re: Pros and Cons: Bow vs Gun! [Re: 430man] #110879 06/17/2012 7:57 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

300 deer with the bow and 125 with the handgun. You posted above that you averaged 5 to 7 deer a year. Useing 6 deer per year average means that you averaged 6 per year for 70.833333 years

That is a hell of an average.... WOW

Thanks, for the info

Last edited by jwp475; 06/17/2012 8:05 PM.
Re: Pros and Cons: Bow vs Gun! [Re: jwp475] #110925 06/18/2012 3:01 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
I don't know where you get figures but I never said 300 with a bow.
You put words in others mouths. You asked about the revolver and I gave it to you straight.
Now I don't know my bow kill figures exactly, might be 200?? Maybe 250???
It was my tool of choice and I never high power rifle hunted except for a few times. My total with a flintlock would make you dizzy.
Yes I have taken a lot of deer in many states and was involved in orchard cull hunting with unlimited tags.
Do I hurt your feelings? Did I learn what arrows, bullets/boolits do?
I have friends that kill 16 to 20 deer a season, they donate meat.
My best day was when I shot 5 with 5 shots at an arsenal. I could not give more away. Then the rest of seasons.
Yes, if I drop a deer and another hunter walks up and tries to steal it, I get angry. If he says nothing I will ask him if he wants it.
I probably give more deer and meat away then you ever seen. I have friends that triple that amount.
Stop trying to bluff others here.
If I made a scratch on my walls for every deer, I would not have walls. A few I know would have scratched their house down.
You do not know deer like I do. You can not fool them and make them come to you or feed all around you. Deer are so stinking easy it is unreal.
I don't brag, no need, it is stupid.
I am not and have never been a trophy hunter, big deer meat sucks and antlers never get soft enough to eat.
Get off your high horse and answer how many deer you have taken. I don't really care but you seem to avoid it.
Killing more does not make you a better man, just one in hard conditions makes you a hunter and has respect. It could take a hunter 20 years to get a deer depending on where he lives. He gets a pat on the back.
It seems you live where you can take a lot of deer but it seems you fail. It is OK, I will not bad mouth you but your ego needs bad mouthed.
Am I proud, NO, every deer is God's creature but the herd needs thinned. It is for their benefit and the environment.

Re: Pros and Cons: Bow vs Gun! [Re: 430man] #110926 06/18/2012 3:26 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: 430man
I always loved bow hunting and am somewhere around 300 bow kills on deer.

Your words, not mine. I got your numbers from you and now you are changing the numbers -- which one is correct. Now you say: "Now I don't know my bow kill figures exactly, might be 200?? Maybe 250???"

"I shoot 5 to 7 deer a season but only until I can not give meat away."
Then you said you have been on cull hunts.

Now you mention enough flintlock kills to blow my mind. What's the truth, Jim?

Re: Pros and Cons: Bow vs Gun! [Re: jwp475] #110927 06/18/2012 3:28 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
OK Guys...

I am ready to lock this is if you don't settle down...

Re: Pros and Cons: Bow vs Gun! [Re: Gregg Richter] #110930 06/18/2012 3:59 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
OK Guys...

I am ready to lock this is if you don't settle down...

Lock it! JWP is making stuff up. I will no longer respond to him myself. I answer truthfully.
Personal stuff does not belong on any site. I get carried away a little when I get personally bashed, can't help it and it is no good for others, I am sorry.
I was wrong to respond the way I did and apologize.

Re: Pros and Cons: Bow vs Gun! [Re: 430man] #110944 06/19/2012 1:15 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
jwp475 called me on the phone and asked for a chance at an answer so I am allowing it; that is only fair.

I QUOTE jwp475:

"44man, these site offer a valuable service to those seek answers as long as the info provided is accurate and concise, I am only wanting to get to the facts.

In post #110869 you posted the following

Quote: I do not count anymore, but maybe 125 or more. Much easier then archery! Many on a dead run in the thick too. I have been here over 25 to 26 years and around 5 a year with revolvers. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Sometimes I get 3 with a bow, sometimes 1. Depends, archery is more work. I get lazy.
Somewhere in there are a few with a rifle and ML and even a cap and ball revolver. Maybe 2 with a single shot pistol.
I am entirely sick of gutting and cutting meat.
It gets old and after I pull the trigger it is "oh, nuts, more work."
My question is 'How many deer have you killed JWP?" I am not proud, it is a life that I thank God for. It is meat to eat, not a thing to brag about. I do not waste an ounce.

Here in post #110773 you posted

Quote: I always loved bow hunting and am somewhere around 300 bow kills on deer.
I have had bows where you could never hit a deer or squirrel because of the high frequency noise you cant hear. Others do not bother them.
Gun fire does not bother deer, only a bullet hitting close to them or the sonic boom as it misses. Revolvers have been great and I have shot many deer in a group where the deer not shot stayed there. I shot one from a herd once and it fell. The rest of the herd bedded close. I have had to climb from a stand and shoo deer away.
The wrong bow will scare a deer faster then any gun.
To hunt from 30' or even 20' is too high. 12' to 15' is best and from the ground is even better. Your chances of a good hit decrease with the height.
I limit shots with the bow to 20-25 yards but can extend the revolver to 100. I still like 25 yards though. Make the revolver like a bow with extended range. Both kill the same.

In post #110925 you posted the following numbers

Quote: I don't know where you get figures but I never said 300 with a bow.
You put words in others mouths. You asked about the revolver and I gave it to you straight.
Now I don't know my bow kill figures exactly, might be 200?? Maybe 250???
It was my tool of choice and I never high power rifle hunted except for a few times. My total with a flintlock would make you dizzy.
Yes I have taken a lot of deer in many states and was involved in orchard cull hunting with unlimited tags.
Do I hurt your feelings? Did I learn what arrows, bullets/boolits do?
I have friends that kill 16 to 20 deer a season, they donate meat.
My best day was when I shot 5 with 5 shots at an arsenal. I could not give more away. Then the rest of seasons.
Yes, if I drop a deer and another hunter walks up and tries to steal it, I get angry. If he says nothing I will ask him if he wants it.
I probably give more deer and meat away then you ever seen. I have friends that triple that amount.
Stop trying to bluff others here.
If I made a scratch on my walls for every deer, I would not have walls. A few I know would have scratched their house down.
You do not know deer like I do. You can not fool them and make them come to you or feed all around you. Deer are so stinking easy it is unreal.
I don't brag, no need, it is stupid.
I am not and have never been a trophy hunter, big deer meat sucks and antlers never get soft enough to eat.
Get off your high horse and answer how many deer you have taken. I don't really care but you seem to avoid it.
Killing more does not make you a better man, just one in hard conditions makes you a hunter and has respect. It could take a hunter 20 years to get a deer depending on where he lives. He gets a pat on the back.
It seems you live where you can take a lot of deer but it seems you fail. It is OK, I will not bad mouth you but your ego needs bad mouthed.
Am I proud, NO, every deer is God's creature but the herd needs thinned. It is for their benefit and the environment.

No wonder there was some confusion."

END QUOTE

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod