Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just ONE more red dot question thread. #112069 07/03/2012 9:32 PM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Still trying to decide between an ultradot, and a fastfire iii. I've heard several folks mention having trouble "finding the dot" in a reflex sight such as the fastfire. Could someone explain this? I was under the impression that with a red dot, once its zeroed, you just gotta put the dot on target, and shoot. Is there eye alignment or parallax issues with a red dot as well? I'm having a real hard time deciding which sight to go with. Fastfire=super small, ultra light weight, almost no change in balance of gun, auto adjusting brightness, but will require new holster so gun doesn't flop around.
Ultradot=lighter than my bushy elite, smaller than bushy elite, apparently near indestructible, will work with my current holsters, but habe to manually turn on/adjust dot intensity.
Is the rheostat knob on the ultradot stiff enough to keep from being turned on when its put into a holster? I dont want an unexpected dead battery because it ran out in the holster.
[list]
[*]null

Last edited by Boot; 07/03/2012 10:03 PM.
Re: Just ONE more red dot question thread. [Re: Boot] #112092 07/03/2012 11:18 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've never had one turn on from inserting or removing from the holster. It's really a great unit that is a steal for the price IMO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Just ONE more red dot question thread. [Re: Boot] #112094 07/03/2012 11:24 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I lost a shot at a doe the first year that I had the Optima on my Bisley 45LC because I couldn't find the dot on the glass in time. This was a running shot with little room for error. After much practice it comes into view almost instantly now. I still find a tube sight to be quicker on target, but the Optima is so nice in low light because of the lack of a tube, and so compact, that I still love it. It will take some practice for you to tune your muscle memory so that the gun comes to the same plane every time, but don't let that disuade you from the reflex.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Just ONE more red dot question thread. [Re: s4s4u] #112095 07/03/2012 11:35 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I tried a UltraDot Pan A V on a handgun but it didn't come into view as quickly as a tube type dot or a scope. I ended up putting it on an AK and there it works great. I'm guessing it's one of those things you have to get used to and it's going to be a personal preference.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Just ONE more red dot question thread. [Re: wapitirod] #112098 07/04/2012 12:19 AM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
S4s4u, what kind of holster works with your optima ? I know I dont have a holster that will work if I decided to go with the fastfire.

Re: Just ONE more red dot question thread. [Re: Whitworth] #112099 07/04/2012 12:24 AM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I've never had one turn on from inserting or removing from the holster. It's really a great unit that is a steal for the price IMO.

I must be looking in the wrong places whitworth? The fastfire iii is only 15$ more than an ultradot 30. Where's the best place to order an ultradot? I wish there was somewhere close, that I could side by side compare them in the store! Never having used a red dot, either one will require learning a new sight picture, hold, etc etc.

Re: Just ONE more red dot question thread. [Re: Boot] #112101 07/04/2012 12:30 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Boot
S4s4u, what kind of holster works with your optima ? I know I dont have a holster that will work if I decided to go with the fastfire.

I didn't have much coin at the time so I cut open the top of a Hunter holster. I haven't seen fit to change it as it works so well, albeit not the prettiest.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Just ONE more red dot question thread. [Re: s4s4u] #112102 07/04/2012 12:41 AM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks for the pics. Its really not a bad lookin setup. I've got more than one home-brewed project that my buddies laughed at, till they borrow it and want one just like it. Sometimes, a custom job, is the best way out!

Re: Just ONE more red dot question thread. [Re: Boot] #112133 07/04/2012 1:05 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
Boot, how far are you from Calhoun, Georgia? I live in Ellijay. SChunter and I have met at a public shooting range just north of Calhoun and burned powder several times. If you'd like to compare the Ultradot and the Fastfire II side by side I could bring a couple of guns with both optics mounted for you to compare. I'm not sure if that is a reasonable distance for you or not...

Re: Just ONE more red dot question thread. [Re: Darrell H] #112136 07/04/2012 1:30 PM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I'm a couple hours south, in Locust Grove. But I'd be more than happy to make the trip to get hands on knowledge before I bought a new sight! I grew up trout fishing with my dad in blue ridge, and love north Ga. Just let me know when you feel like going, and I will be there.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod