Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT #112113 07/04/2012 3:06 AM
sc1911cwp Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD6m-oGUDlI

Check this uploaded video I just found. Try to stay through the beginning.

Last edited by sc1911cwp; 07/04/2012 3:08 AM.
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: sc1911cwp] #112115 07/04/2012 3:14 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Ya, that got posted in the FA hammer position while hunting? thread.

Still a good post!! Just thought you might like to see what some of the users here were saying about it... FWIW...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: TCTex.] #112124 07/04/2012 12:06 PM
sc1911cwp Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Tnx for the info. I missed that post. Being fairly new to the FA that I just purchased keeps me on this board. I would eventually like to get one in .45 Colt. Mine is a .44 Magnum. I do find that it takes a little effort to seat my reloads after a few cylinders though. It likes to be clean. I have read the manual twice and probably will do so again. Kinda hesitant to break it down into pieces to see its guts yet. I think I read everything I could about FA before buying it. Since I have been shooting it, about 300 rounds so far, I did have on 1-2 occasions have the trigger fail to stay in full cock, kind of like something was misaligned. Maybe you can help me on that. Since that has happened, I am fairly careful cocking it as I keep my finger off the trigger and it feels awkward holding it in a way I feel is less secure. By off the trigger I mean outside the guard. Yeah, I don't want this thing going off without a good grip. Last, I only carry with four in and over none. I guess I need to find a good holster.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: sc1911cwp] #112125 07/04/2012 12:25 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
If you are having a mechanical issue with that FA, you should return it post haste. Freedom Arms will be more than happy to remedy the problem.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: sc1911cwp] #112128 07/04/2012 12:48 PM
Lefty372 Offline
They state they are not anti-gun but I have a hard time believing that. The host at one point says he thinks it's rediculous to own a handgun that large and referring to a scoped 44 sbh as a dirty harry gun. I also found it interesting that they found the sporting goods store responsible in the lawsuit. Nowhere does it mention the owner of the gun who was carrying the gun with the hammer on a loaded chamber. If I'm not mistaken FA recommends that you carry a model 83 on an empty chamber. IMO it's up to the owner of the firearm to know their weapon and how to carry it safely.

Last edited by Lefty372; 07/04/2012 12:51 PM.
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: Lefty372] #112130 07/04/2012 12:54 PM
sc1911cwp Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I think it may be me that is doing something wrong after I change cocking positions. It's only happened twice. So I'm going to dig out the manual and read it through again since I have the day off and the wife is at work. Wish I could spend the 4th with her.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: sc1911cwp] #112139 07/04/2012 2:09 PM
Frank1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Lefty:
 Quote:
If I'm not mistaken FA recommends that you carry a model 83 on an empty chamber. IMO it's up to the owner of the firearm to know their weapon and how to carry it safely.

The question is can a person reasonably expect a 5-shot revolver to be carried with 5 rounds? $1.7 Million dollars later and one case closed answered the question. Looks like a lucrative profession, product liability law.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: Frank1] #112145 07/04/2012 3:10 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Can a person reasonably expect to drive their car on the highway at 185MPH because that's how fast the car will go and that's the highest number on the speedometer. No of course not. What is reasonable is that the person will read the owners manual and follow all safety rules when operating dangerous equipment. If someone gets caught speeding does the car get a ticket?

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: Lefty372] #112146 07/04/2012 3:13 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: Lefty372
They state they are not anti-gun but I have a hard time believing that. The host at one point says he thinks it's rediculous to own a handgun that large and referring to a scoped 44 sbh as a dirty harry gun. I also found it interesting that they found the sporting goods store responsible in the lawsuit. Nowhere does it mention the owner of the gun who was carrying the gun with the hammer on a loaded chamber. If I'm not mistaken FA recommends that you carry a model 83 on an empty chamber. IMO it's up to the owner of the firearm to know their weapon and how to carry it safely.

That whole segment is about as anti-gun as anything I've seen.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: Gary] #112152 07/04/2012 4:24 PM
Lefty372 Offline
 Originally Posted By: Gary
Can a person reasonably expect to drive their car on the highway at 185MPH because that's how fast the car will go and that's the highest number on the speedometer. No of course not. What is reasonable is that the person will read the owners manual and follow all safety rules when operating dangerous equipment. If someone gets caught speeding does the car get a ticket?

EXACTLY! And the guy carrying the gun should have been held more responsible. He is the one who should have read the owners manual.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: Gary] #112153 07/04/2012 4:26 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
The program was NOT anti gun.
I have worked on many Freedom guns and have posted problems to the extent I made enemies and have been booted from sites.
The hammer block of the 83 can fail but so can the transfer bar of the 97. It is hard to explain to some when I push a hammer on a 97 to see the firing pin protrude.
I have seen parts wear in few shots where the internal parts fail.
The guns are unsafe period! They are too complicated to save paying royalties for better designs. Freedom admits they are not safe with WARNINGS. That INCLUDES THE 97 WITH THE TRANSFER BAR.
Old Colts were only safe with nothing under the hammer and Freedom with all of the hammer blocks and transfer bars are no better.
They can NOT repair existing guns in any way so a recall is useless. The system they use is wrong and can not be corrected until they go to the Ruger/BFR system.
S&W has lived forever with a sure hammer block. A Ruger or BFR will NEVER fire if dropped and all chambers can be loaded.
But did you know even if you have an empty under the hammer of a Freedom, if you snag the hammer enough to rotate the cylinder and it falls, it will go off? Some love the safety notch on the hammer but it can kill you.
Defend your Freedom but you might be the next to file suit.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: 430man] #112155 07/04/2012 5:04 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
IMHO the problem is the money hungry lawyers. If the owner’s manual states not to carry said gun with a round under the hammer. Well there you go.

PS, I have a friend we call Lucky Dave Cox that has been shot twice by handguns that have failed when they were dropped. One was a S&W and the other was a Ruger. His right leg is gone below the knee and he wears a prosthetic. FWIW… (Ps, the other shot was in the neck and he was really lucky. It was just a scratch.)

I am not trying to debate; I have known you too long to think I can change your mind. I am just saying “stuff happens.”

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: TCTex.] #112156 07/04/2012 5:52 PM
sc1911cwp Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Well, accidents do happen, that's why they are called accidents. Everyone makes them. Most don't suffer such terrible end results and it's only human nature I guess to blame someone or something other than yourself. That being said, you cannot fix stupid. I don't totally fault Lawyers, when you need one they are good to have around. Judges and juries are equally at fault trying to set precedent or correct society to their view of the way the world should turn. I would like to say I didn't post this to start an argument. I appreciate everyones viewpoint. However, if I buy a Ruger and get shot, I'm suing all you Ruger fans. Naw, that won't work:)

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: sc1911cwp] #112158 07/04/2012 7:05 PM
punkinslinger Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't own an FA or many revolvers at all. But it seems to me that there are a certain number of people in the world, who seem to think it is their job to save us from ourselves. They would like to outlaw smoking, chewing tobacco, fireworks and even charcoal grills, you can't buy a decent gas can to save your soul, all these damn spill proof spouts. All vehicles must have shoulder harnesses and countless air bags, the world lacks a little common sense and suffers from a "It's not my fault, so I'm going to file a suit" mentality. Think I'll go running with a pair of scissors, while drinking scalding hot coffee from Micky D's and when I trip and fall, blame the person who paved the road I'm on.

The good Lord gives us "Life" a "Window Of Opportunity" what we do with this opportunity, defines who we are and what we become.
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: sc1911cwp] #112159 07/04/2012 7:05 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Well, accidents do happen, that's why they are called accidents.

I disagree, accidents don't just happen. They are innitiated by inattentiveness or ignorence, or both. Nearly every "accident" could have been avoided if those involved had had their heads in the moment. A drunk teenager kills a family of four last summer with his car and it was called a terrible accident, but there would have been no "accident" had the teen not been drinking. Same with guns, if you can't follow the guidelines and get shot it is no accident. It is stupidity!

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: s4s4u] #112161 07/04/2012 7:16 PM
esoxman50 Offline
I think we need to rerofit some lawyers. You can teach safety but you can't teach common sense.

Joe W

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: esoxman50] #112164 07/04/2012 7:36 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
Original Rugers were based on the Colt and had to have an empty under the hammer. They fixed it. There is no way for a Ruger to go off unless the trigger is pulled. Safe guns need to have the trigger pulled.
The Freedom suit was justified. Even after, they make the same gun. It can NOT be fixed in the present form. It must go to the Ruger transfer bar system.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: 430man] #112170 07/04/2012 8:08 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I find the debate of the safety (or lack thereof) of the FAs very interesting. I am wondering why no one has mentioned the "lack of safety" associated with the old TC Contenders. They are very dangerous in the wrong hands, but I still prefer them to the G-2 and the encore.

I will keep my old contender frames (and remember to break it) and my FAs & load 4. I have yet to fire 4 rounds from any of the FAs at any one animal on a hunt. Actually, two is my personal max on one animal.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: 430man] #112171 07/04/2012 8:11 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Here we are with this mysterious hammer snagging bull crap again. If you've got a proper holster and have it secured the hammer can't be cocked. There is nothing wrong or unsafe about a Freedom Arms. If there is a problem look to the owner.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: wtroper] #112172 07/04/2012 8:14 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: wtroper
I find the debate of the safety (or lack thereof) of the FAs very interesting. I am wondering why no one has mentioned the "lack of safety" associated with the old TC Contenders. They are very dangerous in the wrong hands, but I still prefer them to the G-2 and the encore.

I will keep my old contender frames (and remember to break it) and my FAs & load 4. I have yet to fire 4 rounds from any of the FAs at any one animal on a hunt. Actually, two is my personal max on one animal.

Good thinking and I agree. The problem is those with no experience or think they are not included in warnings.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: wtroper] #112225 07/05/2012 10:57 AM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: wtroper

Actually, there was at least one lawsuit vs. T/C and the original Contender, reported in the Wall Street Journal a few years ago.
An avid hunter and gun owner from the Charlotte N.C. area as I recall, bent over while hunting and his Contender fell from a shoulder holster, striking the ground. It discharged and killed him.
T/C said that couldn't happen. Then during the Discovery phase, it came to light that T/C had made a video to prove it couldn't happen. They dropped a Contender and then picked it up. A staff member was said to exclaim off camera "Oh ^%$*&, it fell", referring to the hammer.
I think it is a correct statement that with the surfacing of the video, the case was settled out of court.
Nevertheless, I'm keeping all my old Contender frames too, and consider them outstanding single-shots.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: 500WE] #112239 07/05/2012 2:23 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
An avid hunter and gun owner from the Charlotte N.C. area as I recall, bent over while hunting and his Contender fell from a shoulder holster, striking the ground.

So he was carrying it in a holster with the hammer back?

Rod, too.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: s4s4u] #112242 07/05/2012 3:07 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
An avid hunter and gun owner from the Charlotte N.C. area as I recall, bent over while hunting and his Contender fell from a shoulder holster, striking the ground.

No, the design is also wrong. No safety notch on a hammer is safe if the gun falls and hits the hammer. Remember, Do you feel lucky, punk?

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: 430man] #112246 07/05/2012 4:36 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I have an early Contender frame and for the hammer to contact the ground when falling inverted the gun has to be nearly horizontal, unless it were to hit a rock just right. That is like a lottery win in reverse, tough luck.

Rod, too.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: s4s4u] #112276 07/05/2012 11:24 PM
sc1911cwp Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
[quote=s4s4u]
 Quote:
Well, accidents do happen, that's why they are called accidents.

I disagree, accidents don't just happen. They are initiated by inattentiveness or ignorance, or both.

Then there must be no accidents at all. That's good to know. Now I have an explanation for all these golf balls hitting my house:). I will agree that not everything is an accident. Only a root/cause analysis could determine whether there is one or not. Hmmm, maybe. However, more to the point is this guy got a good lawyer to sue the biggest pocket, in this case the seller of the pistol, not manufacture. Whatever he did to the handler of the pistol is unknown? Obviously, he said it wasn't HIS fault. The gun just went off. Whatever. However, the guy who shot him did what many would do. Blame someone/something else. Even here we in some disagreement on fault. What I take on this is the Rules Of Gun Safety are there to protect me and others. Hey, Be careful and Good Shooting.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: sc1911cwp] #112278 07/05/2012 11:34 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Now I have an explanation for all these golf balls hitting my house:).

Yeah, hackers! Not building a house on a golf course would also aleviate this problem.

Rod, too.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: s4s4u] #112288 07/06/2012 12:33 AM
sc1911cwp Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I don't live on the course. I'm across the street 30 yards from the tee. See, things aren't always as they appear. LOL If I shot any of my guns like they play golf, I'd be locked up.

Last edited by sc1911cwp; 07/06/2012 12:36 AM.
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: sc1911cwp] #112289 07/06/2012 12:45 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I live in a golfing community as well. About the same distance from the fareway as you. I have never seen a golf ball in my yard. We must have better golfers here. LOL.

As far as a TC going off and someone walking around with a holstered TC with the hammer back, all I can say is you can't fix stupid. But some times stupid fixes itself!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: sc1911cwp] #112290 07/06/2012 12:45 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
I'm across the street 30 yards from the tee.

Dang! But if those idiots didn't hit those errant balls you wouldn't be getting hit. Cause and effect.

We just havin' fun ;-)

Rod, too.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: s4s4u] #112298 07/06/2012 1:08 AM
sc1911cwp Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yep.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: s4s4u] #112375 07/06/2012 10:52 AM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:

No, the hammer was not back. As someone suggested above, it might have been a fluke. But he's dead.
Remember, I'm not condemning original pattern Contenders. They're my favorite Single-Shots.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: 500WE] #112383 07/06/2012 12:13 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Roger that!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: cfish2] #112389 07/06/2012 1:24 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Makes me glade I sent my two old Contender frames back in to be retrofitted...

Benjamin Franklin
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: sc1911cwp] #112446 07/07/2012 1:38 AM
430man Offline
addict
addict
I have owned every kind of gun. No accidents. All are safe if you know them. Some fail if dropped just right. Do NOT drop them.
But you see there are boobs out there. They also vote.
Would I feel safe with a Freedom? Yes of course but the general public is more stupid then we think.
It was like training in the army, training was geared to the most stupid of the stupid. Those that knew HATED class work.
I owned contenders and never thought they were a danger. Neither were Colts, three screw Rugers or any other gun.
Yet even the best of us can be killed or injured from a gun that is not made as safe as it could be made. All of you are human, prone to mistakes. How many woodworkers lose fingers in a saw?
None of us is holier then thou!

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: 430man] #112478 07/07/2012 3:22 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand

I was going to stay out of this thread, as I thought I made my points in the other one. Pretty much as you noted. Load a gun, any gun, and an accident can happen, and hurt or kill someone. The first rule, above all of the normal 10 point or 5 point gun handling rules is to know the gun, and completely understand how it works. I feel safe carrying an old style lever gun on half cock. But I know if I drop it on the hammer it might go bang. I would never run with said gun, chambered.

Same with handguns. If I holster it, I use the retention device. PERIOD. None of this "well I am only gonna crawl/walk/run a little closer and I do not want to spook/slow presentation if I need to shoot in a hurry" nonesense. It is the wood workers or gun owners who are not trained properly or get in a hurry and cut corners that get burned. Being safe while hunting when your heart and brain are racing a mile a minute takes training and concious effort. So to supplement my first point of knowing your gun, folks need to think just as much about knowing themselves, and how they react or make decisions.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: Bearbait in NM] #112488 07/07/2012 4:18 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Exactly

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: Lefty372] #112732 07/09/2012 10:37 PM
S.B. Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Sounds like Sara Brady or Hillary Klinton talking.
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: S.B.] #112946 07/11/2012 9:15 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
and yes, that video does have anti gun sentiment. you hear the boob refer a few times to "how powerful" that gun is and implications in his tone and words as to how freedom arms was somehow wrong for making pistols that powerful.

bottomline is if ya don't follow the instructions it's your fault not the manufacturers. that goes for guns and video games, condoms, etc.

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: tradmark] #112947 07/11/2012 10:56 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
and yes, that video does have anti gun sentiment. you hear the boob refer a few times to "how powerful" that gun is and implications in his tone and words as to how freedom arms was somehow wrong for making pistols that powerful.

bottomline is if ya don't follow the instructions it's your fault not the manufacturers. that goes for guns and video games, condoms, etc.

How this video can be construed as anything but anti-gun is beyond my comprehension.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: FREEDOM ARMS LAWSUIT [Re: Whitworth] #112949 07/11/2012 12:01 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Like everything in this country these days, no one ever takes responsibility for their own failures and stupidity. I have a lot of friends who are attorneys and I never let a day pass that I remind them of this and that its their fault for pushing these frivolus law suits forward and how they have bastardized jurisprudence and the rule of law. It has ruined more then one industry in this country. Sadly things aren't going to change until a new generation of Americans comes along and realizes this fact and does something about it. This freedom arms lawsuit is a prim example of this. Not to mention the fact they have to fight lawyers but the anti gun media as well.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod