Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I personally wasn't too impressed with #112623 07/09/2012 1:28 AM
S.B. Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Gregg Richter's video "Handgunning Mule Deer and Pronghorn Antelope. Too much specialized stuff handguns/etc., I'm more of the down home good ol' boy but, why doesn't someone put some videos out featuring revolvers hunting more of the average game animals?
I've contacted several magazines about running more articles on handgun hunting, like American Hunter this editor told me he actually hunts with and is interested in handgun hunting?
Won't this stuff sell?
I'm also, sorry to see Gary Smith's magazine not published any more.
Steve

Last edited by Steve1948; 07/09/2012 1:33 AM.

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: S.B.] #112638 07/09/2012 3:35 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Steve1948,

Thanks for presenting your opinion; you're entitled to it. I will say however, that it is a one of a kind. You know the saying: you can please some of the people all of the time; all of the people some of the time; but not ALL of the people ALL of the time.

Actually, Steve1948, my video wasn't really meant to IMPRESS anybody; in actuality I filmed the five plus year's of video footage "just because" to begin with; without ever expecting to make it into a video for public sale. And then when I decided to produce and sell it to help promote handgun hunting, the intent was to present exactly what the title suggests. Nothing more, nothing less.

And if you watched all three segments of it, my video showed some interesting history of the handgun hunting laws as they progressed in Colorado; plus a quick review showing most of the types of handguns and sights used for hunting; field shooting positions, including revolvers; plus the video shows various "recoil reduction methods;" and for a different touch some actual game shot MISSES! as in real field shots taken; plus some footage of game animals just being "animals!" And of course, even more.

I agree it is more "western big game" oriented; as I live and hunt where I shot the video footage; and I admit (but not with any guilt) that I have not hunted much big game out your way.

I am not sure what you mean by: Quote: "Too much specialized stuff handguns/etc." End Quote. Maybe you mean you just want a video on revolver hunting? Then just say that.

You also say: Quote: "I'm more of the down home good ol' boy but, why doesn't someone put some videos out featuring revolvers hunting more of the average game animals?" End Quote

OK Steve1948, please define for me what you mean by "more of the average game animals?"

And to address your last concern, Steve, I will give you a valuable piece of marketing advice right here. The field of Handgun Hunting Videos out there for sale is very barren and bleak. Please feel free to jump in and produce one of your own; the market is wide open and the sales potential is unlimited, with hardly any competition.

Good hunting,

Gregg

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: S.B.] #112641 07/09/2012 3:56 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Steve1948
Gregg Richter's video "Handgunning Mule Deer and Pronghorn Antelope. Too much specialized stuff handguns/etc., I'm more of the down home good ol' boy but, why doesn't someone put some videos out featuring revolvers hunting more of the average game animals?
I've contacted several magazines about running more articles on handgun hunting, like American Hunter this editor told me he actually hunts with and is interested in handgun hunting?
Won't this stuff sell?
I'm also, sorry to see Gary Smith's magazine not published any more.
Steve

See my reply above.

Steve, I agree about Gary's magazine; but did you subscribe to it at the beginning? Not enough subscribers equals no hard copy magazine.

I did.

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Gregg Richter] #112642 07/09/2012 3:56 AM
S.B. Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yes, didn't mean my post to be disrespectful or anything derogatory. I live in the midwest and my hunting interests are there also. No open range and just a little timbered ground left. The three main magnum calibers cover anything I'll ever encounter here. Sorry you took it, my post, anti to your video? And my original question remains unanswered. By the way, I by no means have the resources to make movies, I do not own a big ranch in Wyoming. Never subscribed to Gary's magazine(was totally unaware of it) but, did buy the three publishings of it.
Steve

Last edited by Steve1948; 07/09/2012 4:05 AM.

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: S.B.] #112643 07/09/2012 4:02 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Ok, Steve, thank you; definitely not taken "anti"

but wanted to address your concerns.

What are your "more of the average game animals?"

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Gregg Richter] #112644 07/09/2012 4:09 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
BTW: I certainly don't "own a big ranch in Wyoming" either.

If your original question is "Won't this stuff sell?"

In a nutshell: not very well.

We handgun hunters are few and far between; the general public could care less, and the rest of the hunters don't seem to care, either.

And then we get to fighting amongst ourselves, or whatever...!!!

(see above)

and well then...

You get the picture I think.

\:\(

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Gregg Richter] #112645 07/09/2012 4:13 AM
S.B. Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
For one, I started handgun hunting for small game such as squirrel, rabbit, racoon, and ground hogs, I'd say these are as average as it comes around here. With guns like the S&W K22, Hi Standard semi autos, Colt Woodman, Rugers etc. Yes I know I'm older now but, these things still are fond in my heart. Told you just a down home country boy and still put my pants on one leg at a time.
Steve

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: S.B.] #112646 07/09/2012 5:52 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Steve,

So you want a video with "squirrel, rabbit, racoon, and ground hogs..."

Here is one I did for Gary a few years ago; short but sweet. None of your chosen "more of the average game animals" Quote

but fairly similar: "Prairie dogs."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PEz44IOluc&feature=plcp

Do you like it?

Or is it: "Too much stuff specialized handguns/etc." ?

\:\(

Gregg

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Gregg Richter] #112649 07/09/2012 11:03 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Man, it's tough pleasing everyone. Handgun hunting by definition is specialized and unfortunately, we only command a small portion of the market. The magazine industry is in the tank and everyone is moving to an electronic format as such.

I have done some filming of hunts over the years and it is beyond difficult to capture it on film as there are so many factors out of your control. We filmed the last hog I shot to discover that the audio on the camera went on the fritz. MANY factors and it is simply difficult to accomplish and unless you are shooting animals behind a fence, you are at the mercy of Mother Nature. Tough, very tough. Case in point: it took Gregg five years to gather enough material to make a complete video. Gregg should be commended, not criticized for his video.

Oh, and out west, those are ordinary game animals! I shoot my local and ordinary game animals here, particularly hogs, but they aren't really common in the Midwest. Every region has their own unique flora and fauna.

Gary and I both contribute relatively regularly to American Hunter, but aside from us, not many are trying to submit articles to them. I regularly push my handgun (revolver) hunting agenda on the editor in chief, whom I happen to know fairly well. Last month I had a full feature in American Hunter, and there is at least one more piece I have written on the topic that will be in before the end of the year. I am also working on another piece that will be part of a larger article on hog hunting -- with a revolver. So, it's happening out there, but maybe not at a pace many of us would like.

So, how about we stick together? We are a minority in this industry, like it or not.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Whitworth] #112656 07/09/2012 1:06 PM
mike.44 Offline
addict
addict
I bought Gregg's video and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would love to see some videos of whitetailed deer and hog hunting too. I understand it takes ALOT of time and resources to produce a video. Hopefully we can help the sport of handgunning grow just like archery hunting has.....they only had a few videos out in the late 1980's when I started hunting, but they are all over the place now. The videos will come as the sport grows. My hat is off to you Gregg.

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: mike.44] #112657 07/09/2012 1:10 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Go back to the roots of Gregg's video as well. He tells you in the video that it evolved from the humble origins of just videoing his son's hunt"s."

Your making me wish I had a video camera in use when I shot 4 coons under my feeder one night in about 30 seconds with my 14in 357 Herrett... LOL Ps, The hides are being tanned as we speak, well in this case typed...

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: TCTex.] #112664 07/09/2012 2:06 PM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand
Well let's just hope and pray that the handgun hunting writings keep coming from the sensible people like Whit, Gregg, and Gary and such. Not like some of the writers, dimwhits, that most of the major magazines have that have ruined more good firearms and cartridges just simply because they didn't like them and therefor they wrote them into the ground. JMO

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: rlb] #112666 07/09/2012 2:25 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Mark Hampton is also doing some writing in magazines, but mainly covering the single-shot specialty pistols.
One of the reasons I haven't even tried to get set up for writing with magazines is Mark is doing a great job covering the SP's.
And, many of my rigs are truly "Specialized."

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Ernie] #112667 07/09/2012 2:41 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Thanks for the kind words Ernie. Like others have mentioned, handgun hunting plays such a small part in the big picture of the firearms industry. We need to encourage others to join us regardless if they gravitate to short barrel revolvers or scoped, bolt-action pistols. Whether an individual is producing a video, writing a book, publishing a magazine, or any other endeavor intended to promote handgun hunting; they ain't gettin' rich! It requires a significant amount of time and resources for a less than marginal return. If we all work together as a team, who knows, someday maybe handgun hunting will be what bow hunting is today. It would be nice.

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Mark Hampton] #112673 07/09/2012 3:26 PM
minnesotahunter Offline
old hand
old hand
Getting a good hunt on video without it being like Whit said "behind a fence", or something similar is very tough. To go hunt "on your own" without it being automatic, or "gauranteed" is luck just as well as skill. I guess that's why I'm not super into those hunting videos like monster bucks that come out with huge booners every year that were basically bought, and shot by pros that can afford it.

I want to see a hunting video that is all DIY hunts, and I think that's what Greg has done. Good Job.

MN

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Mark Hampton] #112676 07/09/2012 3:38 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Mark Hampton
Whether an individual is producing a video, writing a book, publishing a magazine, or any other endeavor intended to promote handgun hunting; they ain't gettin' rich! It requires a significant amount of time and resources for a less than marginal return. If we all work together as a team, who knows, someday maybe handgun hunting will be what bow hunting is today. It would be nice.

You've got that right!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Whitworth] #112681 07/09/2012 3:58 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
then ya finally get some really good big animals on film and produce a video and people bitch there's a fence somewhere out there or you used dogs on the bear or whatnot.

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: tradmark] #112683 07/09/2012 4:04 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
then ya finally get some really good big animals on film and produce a video and people bitch there's a fence somewhere out there or you used dogs on the bear or whatnot.

Yup. Just can't please everyone.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Whitworth] #112684 07/09/2012 4:10 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
I also think that much of the mainstream video work, folks who produce shows for TV and perhaps commercial video rely upon sponser support. As such they have somewhat of an "obligation" to promote the sponser's products/services. Good ole downhome small game hunting does not require portable blinds, ATV's, high tech camo patterns, airfare to remote specialty ranches, the latest big boomer specialty handgun, a 10,000 dollar trained dog, the latest in high tech ammo and on and on.

Grabbing your grandad's 22lr from behind the kitchen door, rounding up the family dog and heading out wearing your comfortable Levi's and old boots may rank right up there at the top of the fun scale, but in the larger marketing scheme, may not cover much ground, nor send folks down to their nearest toy store to break out the credit card ;^)

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Bearbait in NM] #112690 07/09/2012 4:42 PM
SBHunter81 Offline
addict
addict
I for one have little interest in the single shot pistol hunting, which means I don't care that there is or isn't a video on it aside from the fact that there is some solid education about the sport happening.
Some guys like to hunt boars with a knife...I'm not going to buy their videos, but if that's how they enjoy this great sport then more power to them.
In my line of work I hear a lot of people complaining about a lot of things, my most frequent response is, "I see that you're so passionate about it, maybe you should do more than talk about it."

The God who gave us such a beautiful land, wonderful game, and the sport of hunting is worth knowing.
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: S.B.] #112713 07/09/2012 7:48 PM
bbybee Offline
stranger
stranger
I took to handgun hunting at a young age with my Browning Challenger II .22 LR and Ruger Security Six .35. I loved sneaking up on the Richardson's Ground Squirel's, Rabbit's and Marmot's out here in the West, and felt quite accomplished when I connected.

When Bob Milek was promoting "Specialty Pistol's" in the gun / hunting magazines in the 80's, I found myself looking for more than the short range pistols. I read everything I could about them, and ended up with the .223, 6mm-223, and 7-30 Waters. I really enjoyed hunting big game with them. I am still a fanatic with the Contender's=, G2's and Encore's SP, and have my share of Single Action and Double Action revolvers as well.

To each their own, and enjoy what you feel most comfortable with. I will always enjoy the "Specialty Pistols" for Big Game Hunting, but also enjoy the "Classics" from time to time.

Good hunting.

Bbybee

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: bbybee] #112714 07/09/2012 8:06 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I also "blame Bob Milek" for my SP addiction
\:\)

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Ernie] #112716 07/09/2012 8:11 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Ernie

LOL! Got to have someone to blame!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: mike.44] #112723 07/09/2012 8:58 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Simple fact is hunting with revolvers is difficult- short range and all. Finding a decent camera man is more difficult that can do the short range stuff without scaring the game. Took a good friend to Africa to film my rhino hunt. All I got was him screaming, running with the camera swinging on his neck. I can't understand him. The rhino started out at 30 yards and ended up around 1 yard.
The MS Hitmnan and I have done some decent filming of each other doing groundhogs, but the quality of the camera limited what you couls see AND it took away a lot of hunting time to get the filming right.
In the end, very little of America could care less about a bunch of wacko handgunners killing something, and there are not enough of us wackos to generate the business for someone to do it the right way.

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: wvhitman] #112729 07/09/2012 10:03 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
My comments here are not directed towards the DVD, but towards the state of handgun hunting. These are just my opinions. I think that there are many handgun collectors, there are many that like to shoot handguns, but very few that really hunt with their handguns. The thought of hunting with a handgun sounds cool, but it's tough. This keeps many away from hunting with their handguns. This is obvious every year during hunting seasons on the Bragging Board. There are fewer & fewer hunting pics every year. There are probably 5 or more times the guns on the bragging board as compared to game taken with their handguns. If more folks actually hunted with their handguns, we may have more of a selection of handgun hunting DVD's. Remember, everyone online hunts with their handguns and takes lots of game with them. For some reason they just never take pictures. If we want better handgun hunting materials we need to get more people out actually hunting with their handguns.

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Whitworth] #112730 07/09/2012 10:13 PM
archr610 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Originally Posted By: Ernie

LOL! Got to have someone to blame!

I blame all you guys for the fact that I read these forums every day, and for the two new Contender barrels and the new revolver over the past 12 months.

Thanks guys !

Support bacteria:
It's the only culture some people have
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: SBHunter81] #112731 07/09/2012 10:23 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Of course it's all about sponsor support. That's why you don't see more coverage from TV or magazines - no sponsor that says I want my handguns featured in your magazine if I'm going to advertise with you. Ruger told me about 2 years ago they wouldn't sponsor a handgun hunting tv show because they didn't want to create a market for products they couldn't deliver. They don't have enough production capability.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Franchise] #112733 07/09/2012 10:39 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Franchise
My comments here are not directed towards the DVD, but towards the state of handgun hunting. These are just my opinions. I think that there are many handgun collectors, there are many that like to shoot handguns, but very few that really hunt with their handguns. The thought of hunting with a handgun sounds cool, but it's tough. This keeps many away from hunting with their handguns. This is obvious every year during hunting seasons on the Bragging Board. There are fewer & fewer hunting pics every year. There are probably 5 or more times the guns on the bragging board as compared to game taken with their handguns. If more folks actually hunted with their handguns, we may have more of a selection of handgun hunting DVD's. Remember, everyone online hunts with their handguns and takes lots of game with them. For some reason they just never take pictures. If we want better handgun hunting materials we need to get more people out actually hunting with their handguns.

So very true, David.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Whitworth] #112746 07/09/2012 11:52 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
All of this brings up the question: How many would be interested in a professionaly shot video using mostly wheelguns and the occaisional auto? I have been kicking this around for some time. What I have in mind is a combination educational and hands on hunting video. Now that my son is really into it too we would have oppertunity to video hog, deer and bear. Even kicking around a elk hunt with pop guns.

I sure aint against single shots like Encores because I happen to do that as well. I don't know about you gents but I get a bigger kick watching a hunter with a wheelgun take a doe that he has stalked than a hunter with a long range rig taking a big buck. Not fighting long range shooting because I do that too.

There is just something special about handguns and game. Sorta like waffles and maple syrup. reflex264

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: reflex264] #112753 07/10/2012 12:27 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: reflex264
All of this brings up the question: How many would be interested in a professionaly shot video using mostly wheelguns and the occaisional auto?

There is just something special about handguns and game. Sorta like waffles and maple syrup. reflex264

Flex - I'd buy one.

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Gary] #112756 07/10/2012 12:40 AM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Gary
Of course it's all about sponsor support. That's why you don't see more coverage from TV or magazines - no sponsor that says I want my handguns featured in your magazine if I'm going to advertise with you. Ruger told me about 2 years ago they wouldn't sponsor a handgun hunting tv show because they didn't want to create a market for products they couldn't deliver. They don't have enough production capability.

Gary,

That sad to hear. Ruger is the top gun maker (numbers) in the market, if I am not mistaken. If not them, than who? I am sure you have had more than a few adult beverages pondering that question ;^)

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Bearbait in NM] #112760 07/10/2012 12:56 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Thought this was a free country....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: jamesfromjersey] #112765 07/10/2012 1:26 AM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
From the little bit of the video I saw, I thought it was informative, different strokes for different folks,thank you and good job Gregg.

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: racksmasher] #112771 07/10/2012 1:49 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

One of the best videos that I have ever seen was created over many years and much of it was on poor quality 8mm film

The video was called "No Land For The Timid"

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: SChunter] #112774 07/10/2012 2:11 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Thank all of you for your positive comments on my video.

jwp475, would you care to elaborate more on "No Land For The Timid?" Also how it relates to this thread? Thank you, sir.

Reflex, What do you have in mind for your "professionally shot video using mostly wheelguns...?"

I would buy one. Don't know how this applies to your idea but I have some really good bull elk footage taken with a custom Ruger .475 Linebaugh.

Plus I filmed Mr. Gary hunting and shooting his bull elk with his .454 FA; doing a bullet test for Winchester; good footage also.

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Gregg Richter] #112776 07/10/2012 2:20 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think I may invest in the equipment and start occompanying folks on their hunts. I would love to see a mix of revolvers and single shots on the screen.
Gregg, I still love your video and watch it from time to time. It keeps me stoked for hunting season!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: Gregg Richter] #112779 07/10/2012 2:25 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

I saw the video when I was in Alaska, an individual pieced it together from many years of filming. Not a professionally produced video. A lot interesting material in the video. I rented it from one of the firearms stores in Anchorage back in the 80's

The point was that a video on hunting and survival doesn't have to be a professionally done to be worth watching IMHO and experience. In fact to get a true account of what we do a home made video is more in line with how it really happens, not how a producer wants it to happen

One episode int No Land For The Timid a hunter shoots a Polar bear in the shoulder with a 375 H&H, the bear goes down and gets up the hunter shoots again and again and again all in the same general area with the same results. I forget how many shots it took before the bear went done for good. A red patch appeared on the white hide at each shot, as shot placement was very easy to see.

Another showed an Eskimo hunter with a 223 hunting Polar bear with a dog. The dog lured the bear closer and closer to the hunter. With the bears attention directed to the dog the bear was totally unaware of the hunter and at point blank range he fired 1 shot into the top of the neck just behind the skull, game over

A must see if you are ever in Anchorage, AK

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: reflex264] #112786 07/10/2012 4:20 AM
S.B. Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
All of this brings up the question: How many would be interested in a professionaly shot video using mostly wheelguns and the occaisional auto? I have been kicking this around for some time. What I have in mind is a combination educational and hands on hunting video. Now that my son is really into it too we would have oppertunity to video hog, deer and bear. Even kicking around a elk hunt with pop guns.

I sure aint against single shots like Encores because I happen to do that as well. I don't know about you gents but I get a bigger kick watching a hunter with a wheelgun take a doe that he has stalked than a hunter with a long range rig taking a big buck. Not fighting long range shooting because I do that too.

I'm up for it. Why not, I own one of Mr. Richter's and everything else I can find on this subject so count me in.
Steve

Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: S.B.] #112909 07/10/2012 11:10 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Reflex, What do you have in mind for your "professionally shot video using mostly wheelguns...?"

First off absolutely not knocking your video. I was already planning on getting a copy. I hunt with single shot scoped handguns as well.

What I am thinking of is a video that may start with some basic handgun hunting education. In about 15 minutes of well planned video a new commer could learn enough to make some sort of choice about what kind of handgun he or she would like to start with.

The next segment would be a few minutes showing some of my practice drills that could be easily learned. While I realize that many viewers of the video would already know most of this stuff a novice could get a foot hold to get started the right way. Anyone that is already an experienced hunter can simply fast forward to the hunts.

As far as the hunts go I would like to show some diversity. It is easy to show several set ups and kills on deer for us. We have a limit of 303 deer per year here so showing kills with open sighted single actions, scoped single actions, scoped Encores,double actions, black powder and auto handguns would be easy to do and I ahve all of the above and hunt with all of the above.

If some more members here wished to include their hunts they could simply send footage to be included. This aint a get rich video. I would just like to make a video that covers handguns hunting in all its forms but I would like to focus on wheelguns because that is what I hunt with the most.

I happen to be friends with two camera men that have filmed for lots of TV hunts. They have the equipment and the knowledge to get the shots that would tell the story. At the same time I would like to present it as realisticaly as possible. No phony set up after the shot and such like. Just pure handgun hunting so that any hangunner that views it could feel like they were right there in the action.

I have a brother in law that is also an avid handgun hunter as well as my son. I would hate to think we couldn't get 10 kills this deer season on camera.

I have a high speed burner so making a pile of them would be easy. I am absolutely open to suggestions for this hair brained ideal. I have hunted in front of a camera before and it deffinately requires a little more work to make sure shots get on film. I am also considering buying some camera equipment latter this year.

Any suggestions gladly accepted. reflex264

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: I personally wasn't too impressed with [Re: reflex264] #112945 07/11/2012 7:36 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

I happen to be friends with two camera men that have filmed for lots of TV hunts. They have the equipment and the knowledge to get the shots that would tell the story. At the same time I would like to present it as realisticaly as possible. No phony set up after the shot and such like. Just pure handgun hunting so that any hangunner that views it could feel like they were right there in the action.

I have a brother in law that is also an avid handgun hunter as well as my son. I would hate to think we couldn't get 10 kills this deer season on camera.

I have a high speed burner so making a pile of them would be easy. I am absolutely open to suggestions for this hair brained ideal. I have hunted in front of a camera before and it deffinately requires a little more work to make sure shots get on film. I am also considering buying some camera equipment latter this year.

Any suggestions gladly accepted. reflex264

Wow, sounds really good, reflex264. Keep us posted. Sounds like you are definitely working with some pros on all fronts; and after you have it all on film, if you are interested I can give you some personal and humble pointers as far as scene and sequence editing, slo-mos w/sound, voice presentation and voice-overs, color corrections, background music, trailers, credits, disclaimer and liability waiver, etc; if you are interested.

Gregg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod