Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Interesting Range Session #113428 07/16/2012 10:22 PM
Seasons44 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
So I just back from the raange decide to shoot 15 or 20 rounds off the bench, I was testing a load that the dispersion was not to bad, decide to step up a half grain, see if my groups groups would change.

So normaly I do not wear gloves except when I shoot off the bench. Well my first string of shots all left, second string all left, Finally took the gloves off and shot the last string, all shots center except one which was my flinch.

Has anybody had an experance where gloves can change there grip that they are shooting left.
Thanks
The load If anybody is curiou was 300gr WFN over 21.5 grs of 296

Simple, Elegant, but always Approachable
Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: Seasons44] #113431 07/16/2012 10:59 PM
ahandgunhunter Offline
addict
addict
yep the glove may have changed how you griped the gun just enough to change you point of impact.

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: ahandgunhunter] #113433 07/16/2012 11:02 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
yes I've had the same thing. I've even found on my hardest kicking Encores I can vary the vertical point of impact 3" just by how tight I grip the gun. This is why it's important to practice the way you'll hunt. I don't wear gloves as much any more because of that, except on the nastiest kickers like my 458 Lott.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: wapitirod] #113443 07/17/2012 12:24 AM
Seasons44 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks guys, was hoping I was not the only one, I felt the recoil more in my thumb, rather then the palm of my hand, to be honest the recoil felt worse with gloves, I guess no more gloves, or try a diffrent kind for the few times I need them, well when I get a real bigbore

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: Seasons44] #113491 07/17/2012 7:45 PM
sc1911cwp Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I wondered about this before I bought a set of leather gloves to use while shooting. First, the glove filled the trigger guard more than my finger alone. That first shot was a surprise to me and I am glad I had a firm grip. Second, it is easy to see how a little leather on the finger caused you to push on the trigger a little sideways as your grip changed, hence you shot left. Well, I don't use those gloves now as I have been trying to find a thin leather pair that doesn't cost an arm and leg. No luck, I have seen some mechanics fingerless gloves that may do. However, since I bought three sets of the leather gloves in a package I am going to try cutting the first finger off and see if that makes a difference. On one other note, maybe the gloves don't allow the grip frame to roll in your hand which is what I understand to be the reason for reduced recoil. Hey I'm new so help me out also.

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: sc1911cwp] #113501 07/17/2012 9:45 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
Personally, I never wear gloves on my shooting hand when shooting. If I am shooting in cold weather, I take the glove off before I shoot. I also do not live at the north pole. LOL

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: sc1911cwp] #113502 07/17/2012 9:50 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I don't wear gloves to tame recoil and certainly not those designed to do so - they will change the POI. If I'm wearing them when I'm hunting (when it's cold) it's only a leather glove with a small amount of thinsulate insulation - like mens dress gloves from men's warehouse (hint). The problem is slippage. To combat this in cold weather you can breathe on your shooting hand just before you shoot to put some moisture on the palm and that will keep it from slipping. The leather will get a little sticky and it gives you nearly the same grip as a bare hand.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: Gary] #113510 07/17/2012 10:46 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I have never experienced gloves changing my point of impact. The key to consistency, for me at least, is using the same amount of grip tension, controlling the recoil the same way every time (or as closely as possible). When I shoot 50 + rounds of .500 Maximum in one session, or my .50 Alaskan for that matter, it's just foolish not wearing a good glove. JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: Whitworth] #113521 07/18/2012 12:59 AM
Seasons44 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict

If i want to shoot a fair amout of full house loads, I need someing to take the edge off, I cannot comment on SA revolvers but a short barrel DA with wood grips will beat my grip up.

I went back and put the gloves on and examine if my grip was shifted, it roled my thumb to the back of the grip, These glovees have that thick pad between the thumb and fore finger,

So I belive this is why my shots where shifted left,

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: Seasons44] #113539 07/18/2012 6:28 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I have never experienced gloves changing my point of impact. The key to consistency, for me at least, is using the same amount of grip tension, controlling the recoil the same way every time (or as closely as possible). When I shoot 50 + rounds of .500 Maximum in one session, or my .50 Alaskan for that matter, it's just foolish not wearing a good glove. JMHO.

Agreed, I share the same experience. Not with the .500 Max, but with other bruisers just the same.

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: sc1911cwp] #113540 07/18/2012 6:30 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: sc1911cwp
I wondered about this before I bought a set of leather gloves to use while shooting. First, the glove filled the trigger guard more than my finger alone. That first shot was a surprise to me and I am glad I had a firm grip. Second, it is easy to see how a little leather on the finger caused you to push on the trigger a little sideways as your grip changed, hence you shot left. Well, I don't use those gloves now as I have been trying to find a thin leather pair that doesn't cost an arm and leg. No luck, I have seen some mechanics fingerless gloves that may do. However, since I bought three sets of the leather gloves in a package I am going to try cutting the first finger off and see if that makes a difference. On one other note, maybe the gloves don't allow the grip frame to roll in your hand which is what I understand to be the reason for reduced recoil. Hey I'm new so help me out also.

I never shoot any gun (rifle, pistol, shotgun; you name it) with LEATHER on my TRIGGER FINGER. I wear gloves when hunting and shooting all right, but ALWAYS cut off the leather on the trigger finger part.

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: Gregg Richter] #113542 07/18/2012 6:41 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

I never shoot any gun (rifle, pistol, shotgun; you name it) with LEATHER on my TRIGGER FINGER. I wear gloves when hunting and shooting all right, but ALWAYS cut off the leather on the trigger finger part.

That's how I almost blew it on my 5x6 bull a couple years ago. I had the trigger tuned extra light on my encore and in my excitement I didn't take my glove off and I touched it off while I was still settling the cross hairs and put it right through the hump just above the spine. The only thing that saved me was that the shot stunned his spine.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: Seasons44] #113559 07/18/2012 12:19 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
For those interested, these are the gloves I shoot and hunt with Uniforce 2nd Skinz. they are very durable, lightweight, thin and sensitive gloves. They are among the best I've found over the years for shoot'n.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: wapitirod] #113560 07/18/2012 12:21 PM
sc1911cwp Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I waiting for the following book to be written. "Everything You Need to Know About Handgun Hunting For Dummies".
\:\)
Until then I'll just keep looking at this forum. You guys are great.

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: sc1911cwp] #113562 07/18/2012 1:08 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I waiting for the following book to be written. "Everything You Need to Know About Handgun Hunting For Dummies".

I just pitched a book idea similar to that to my publisher.....

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: Whitworth] #113580 07/18/2012 5:55 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Another good reason to practice like you play - gloves while hunting, gloves on the range...sticks while hunting, shooting sticks on the range, etc. Less surprises that way.

Count me as another that does not own a single pair of hunting gloves that has an index finger left on it, regardless of thickness. Got to be able to feel the trigger (one of Dad's lessons that I've heeded). For really cold weather/locales, break out the handwarmers!

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: SChunter] #113581 07/18/2012 5:57 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
In the field I will typically remove my glove from my shooting hand before show time, but if it's really cold, I have some really thin Under Armor gloves that I can shoot with if I have to.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Interesting Range Session [Re: sc1911cwp] #113611 07/19/2012 1:40 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist

That's ok the glove part of that ordeal was only half the story. That was the most screwed up kill I ever made.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod