Next Thread
Print Thread
FA`s firing pin #113515 07/17/2012 11:58 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I`ve just had the 3ed firing pin break on a Freedom Arms model 83
The first was on my 454 which I had to send back to the factory so they could drill and tap the frame for their new system. That I could understand because of the hundreds of full power loads that were fired through it. The second , however, was on a model 83 in 357 that was very new. I was at the YO and one of the handgunners gave me an extra pin which I installed. The third was last night on the 454 again, but this time I bought four extra pins from FA`s and it was replaced quickly. For the price and quality of the gun I expected a stronger pin. Has anyone had a similar experience?? Does anyone make a aftermarket
pin thats stronger???
PS always use snap caps......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: jamesfromjersey] #113516 07/18/2012 12:05 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The only firing pin I've ever had break on anything was a Heritage Rough Rider. There isn't anything I know of in aftermarket parts for the FA's.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: wapitirod] #113532 07/18/2012 3:07 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
The only pin I've had a problem with was the .22 M83 and god knows how many rounds had been through that gun before I bought it but it endured probably 7-8,000 in my hands before I one of the tits broke. It wasn't long after that the other one broke off and I had to replace it. Do you keep the bushing tight? I often have to re-tighten the bushing and even milled a screwdriver bit specifically for that purpose because it will loosen up with repeated firing of heavy loads. They did make the firing pin itself thicker at one point because the original bit I milled didn't work on some of the newer guns. So perhaps they were solving a problem with a thicker firing pin. Dry firing with out snap caps will fatigue the works too but I don't know if it will damage the actual pin but I suspect it would. I never intentionally dry-fire mine with out snap caps.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Gary] #113548 07/18/2012 10:18 AM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I've never broken one, but unfortunately, I hear about broken FA firing pins far too often, by my standard. I contacted Bob about this several years ago, but he said they only hear "about 5 or so each year". That's still too many, by my standard, but I don't have a solution for you, other than to be prepared.

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: 500WE] #113553 07/18/2012 11:58 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
at least they are easier to change than on a Ruger SA but then again I've never seen or had a broken pin in a Ruger either but I have changed some.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: wapitirod] #113557 07/18/2012 12:17 PM
sc1911cwp Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I found out the other day my FA83 is the older model. When talking to John at FA about something else he asked if I wanted the new bushing and pin since I will be sending in my gun for other work. Any thoughts? If I do this I guess I need to order replacements at the same time.

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: sc1911cwp] #113584 07/18/2012 6:46 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
LAWSUIT!! Just kidding!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: sc1911cwp] #113585 07/18/2012 7:19 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: sc1911cwp
I found out the other day my FA83 is the older model. When talking to John at FA about something else he asked if I wanted the new bushing and pin since I will be sending in my gun for other work. Any thoughts? If I do this I guess I need to order replacements at the same time.

sc1911cwp,

I recently sent my FA 454 in for some work and had this same discussion with John. I decided to go ahead and have the firing pin conversion done. John's logic behind this was that "I" would be able to change out the firing pin in the future "IF" it ever needed replacing. This would save the expense of shipping a handgun both ways. I did not order an extra firing pin since it may never need replacing, I thought that I would do that if and when it happened.

Just my thoughts on the subject...

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Darrell H] #113586 07/18/2012 7:47 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
Never seen a problem with any other gun.

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Darrell H] #113591 07/18/2012 9:38 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
I thought that I would do that if and when it happened.

Hopefully not on a remote hunt ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: s4s4u] #113595 07/18/2012 10:49 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
I would venture to guess that most folks don't carry spare firing pins with them on remote hunts?
\:D

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Darrell H] #113601 07/18/2012 11:54 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I'm like Darrell - I chose to have my firing pin upgraded on an older model 83 during a trip to Freedom, WY 2 falls ago...I did not choose to purchase additional pins at that time. Would it be a good idea? Probably so.

If it comes down to needing parts on a remote trip, I'll switch to one of my backup guns
\:\)

yeah - I'm that guy who brings more guns than necessary on the trip. They all like to get time out of the safe!

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Darrell H] #113603 07/19/2012 12:33 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: Darrell H
I would venture to guess that most folks don't carry spare firing pins with them on remote hunts?

I do and in fact I carry a number of spare parts. You never know and I don't want to find out when it ruins a hunt.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Gary] #113609 07/19/2012 1:33 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Gary

I do and in fact I carry a number of spare parts. You never know and I don't want to find out when it ruins a hunt.

although I shoot rugers if I'm hunting more than an hour or so from home I carry spare parts. I don't carry firing pins but I carry spare screws and sight parts and extra ejector rod and housing just in case. I'm sure the pins aren't that expensive and would be cheap insurance, even if your not on an exotic far away hunt it's nice to just go back home or open up a box and fix your gun on the spot without having to wait for the parts to get there.

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: wapitirod] #113621 07/19/2012 2:17 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Mr. Gary, that is the exact reason I never go on a hunt with just one gun...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: TCTex.] #113628 07/19/2012 3:13 AM
Muddy Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah I had one break, and it was not very old at the time. One dry fire shot...yep one. I was leaving to go to my farm, and took one aimed dry fire (no snap cap) shot at my 3D deer target in my yard. Got to the farm, loaded the gun to shoot..and NO bang. Luckily mine had the new threaded bushing and a new one was sent to me. I do have and take spare parts with me if I travel.

Oh, and I broke a firing pin in a Ruger Vaquero too....and a transfer bar...

When I retire I am going to see if a gun manufacturer will hire me as a "torture tester". If I can't break it you can be sure it can't be broke!!!

Dan

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Muddy] #113640 07/19/2012 6:51 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
When I ordered my FA 83 in .500 WE, John at FA "included" a spare firing pin. No big deal; I just found a tiny capsule container for it and placed it in one "hole" of my MTM Ammo box that was labeled ".500 WE Hunting Loads."

I guess you get the picture...

Sure beats being in Africa and breaking the pin and having no spare...

Oh, BTW, when I was in Africa I had my .500 WE and my MTM box of ".500 WE Hunting Loads."

Kinda like a Boy Scout: "Be Prepared."

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Gregg Richter] #113645 07/19/2012 12:53 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
I completely agree with being prepared but I guess I just don't understand the spare parts thing on a hunt. If something breaks, with my luck it would be a part that I didn't have, not to mention that fact that I'm no gunsmith. Why not just take another gun that's sighted in and ready to go? Makes a lot more sense to me.

I think that this topic is getting derailed but this problem of firing pins breaking is alarming to me. When I had my gun converted to the new firing pin assembly, I thought that it was a solution to a nonexistent problem. However, it seems like this is happening WAY too often on FA guns.

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: TCTex.] #113648 07/19/2012 1:08 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: TCTex.
Mr. Gary, that is the exact reason I never go on a hunt with just one gun...

You beat me to it! I always have two on me. The beauty of handguns is there packability!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Whitworth] #113666 07/19/2012 5:28 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I always carry a spare but it's nice to be able to fix your primary gun if it's just a minor problem.

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Muddy] #113676 07/19/2012 6:44 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
Marlin lever guns are like that too. One accidental dry fire can break a pin.
It should not be! Your life might hang in the balance.

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Darrell H] #113680 07/19/2012 8:02 PM
Muddy Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I completely agree with being prepared but I guess I just don't understand the spare parts thing on a hunt. If something breaks, with my luck it would be a part that I didn't have, not to mention that fact that I'm no gunsmith. Why not just take another gun that's sighted in and ready to go? Makes a lot more sense to me.

I carry both a spare gun AND spare parts. See my earlier post....my kind of luck I break the spare gun too.

Dan

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Muddy] #113681 07/19/2012 8:06 PM
Muddy Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
To the original post...I am guessing but thought when I broke mine it may have to do with that HEAVY main spring. The FA guns really whack a primer with that stout spring. Maybe that is why they tend to break. I do have some lighter main springs in my spare parts kit that I take with me. Some of mine are older and don't have the bushing for the firing pin. Break one of those and you better have a spare gun.

Dan

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Muddy] #113682 07/19/2012 8:19 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Also to the original post,

I am a bit embarrassed, but I broke a pin on my FA 83 also, not too long after I bought it. I knew not to fire it without snap caps, and so I thought, well hell, spent cases should be about the same as a snap cap! so I did a bunch of "dry firing" with the spent cases which created a divet in the old primer...

I broke it LOL.

I called FA, and I believe it was John that I talked to, and he sent me a new one. I asked about it, if it happens much and he said (paraphrased):

" It happens sometimes even with snap-caps. I have had mine for 16yrs and have not broke one, but I don't dry fire it. The snap caps seem to not have a stiff enough spring in them for the hard hitting firing pin to hit. the best thing is to not dry fire them at all..."

So that is the approach that I take now... I do not fire it until I am at the range or in the game fields. The pin does change easily (on my new model anyway). I might have to have them send me a spare just in case
;\)

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Muddy] #113743 07/20/2012 2:11 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Muddy
To the original post...I am guessing but thought when I broke mine it may have to do with that HEAVY main spring. The FA guns really whack a primer with that stout spring. Maybe that is why they tend to break. I do have some lighter main springs in my spare parts kit that I take with me. Some of mine are older and don't have the bushing for the firing pin. Break one of those and you better have a spare gun.

Dan

Not the hammer spring. The firing pin is too hard and brittle. Did you know there is a steel that is best for pins? I have made many and even proper hardening and tempering will let tool steel last forever.
Freedom says to never dry fire yet you can dry fire a Ruger or BFR forever.
I make a longer transfer bar for Rugers so I can get down to 1-1/2# triggers and mine has not failed with 64,000 rounds, then I had one that needed fit better so I heated some of it. Big mistake, I should have hardened and tempered it again. IT BROKE!
Pins are the same, heat treat and temper right and they will never, ever break.
Marlin pins are the same, they are too hard. WW II rifles still go strong after a million dry fires.
It is something the gun maker can fix, to use a steel treatment that can't take shock should be fixed.

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Darrell H] #113749 07/20/2012 2:52 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist

After the first broken pin I carry an extra pin and spring along with a screwdriver bit that fits the FA`s bushing. It is absolutly no problem whatsoever to take these itmes along anywhere in the world. The only situation that would be really bad is if the pin broke at the shot on an animal...

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: jamesfromjersey] #113750 07/20/2012 3:04 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
I was just saying that firearms hunters in general do not generally carry spare firing pins for their firearms with them. Apparently Freedom Arms owners do and for good reason. I stand corrected.

Quote:
The only situation that would be really bad is if the pin broke at the shot on an animal...

Quote:
For the price and quality of the gun I expected a stronger pin.

I agree with these statements completely James!

Re: FA`s firing pin [Re: Darrell H] #114137 07/24/2012 4:58 PM
freedom475 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
It is my belief that all the FA pins that I have broken has have been a direct result of the pin housings coming loose. If I don't keep and eye on mine they will get get loose and then they break pins.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Because Sam Colt don't make a 46."

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod