Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tripods for the field. #114315 07/27/2012 5:19 AM
rbecker Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I was at the range last weekend and thought I would try shooting my scoped contender and Rugers at 100 yds. not using the bench. I bought a Cabelas monopod I figured it could also double as a walking stick. Well since most hunting pistols require a two hand hold every time I fired the monopod fell over. Besides it doesn't provide me with a steady enough platform. The crosshairs of the scope dance around about a foot at 100 yds. I'm thinking a tripod is what I need. Anyone a fan of those? Do they carry easily. How quickly can they be deployed? Thanks.. Bob

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rbecker] #114321 07/27/2012 10:10 AM
RioHondoHank Offline
addict
addict
I use a heavy duty camera tripod (paid 25 bucks at pawn shop) with a homemade piistol rest.

Hank

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: RioHondoHank] #114329 07/27/2012 1:22 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
RioHondoHank, I do something very similar! I have a camera stand I put a sand bag on top of. I have used it to shoot deer and pigs out to 150 yards with handguns and a 450+ boar at 400 yards with my 30-06 rifle.

It works for me, that doesn't mean its perfect... LOL

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: TCTex.] #114359 07/27/2012 6:46 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Here's what I've found to be the most practical standing or sitting outfit. When laying on ground, nothing beats a backpack

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: wvhitman] #114360 07/27/2012 6:52 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
WV-- what model is that??

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Raptortrapper] #114377 07/27/2012 10:53 PM
rbecker Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Well I hunt over 4 miles from the truck usually. The area where I hunt is mountainous and varies from clearcuts to junglelike river bottoms. The sandbag component is what I was trying to evolve from..Anybody use Bogpod tripods? Oh yeah and Hitman what the h.ck is that? Is that arm support thingey a critical component?

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rbecker] #114382 07/27/2012 11:46 PM
Randominator Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I use the same set-up. I have a Bog Pod I have attached a Stoney Point Tripod rear support to. It is very solid once you learn to position your forearm in it correctly.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
VHA Member

"get busy living, or get busy dying"
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Randominator] #114399 07/28/2012 5:24 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Bog-Gear with PSR top
I am good beyond 500 with this set-up

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Ernie] #114419 07/28/2012 4:19 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
+1 for the BogPod with the PSR; the rear (rifle) support coupled with the regular BogPod or Stoney Point looks to be a winner too.

I started out with a monopod for a Western hunt nearly 10 years ago. Have had almost every option since! Graduated from monopod to bipod to tripod to tripod with attachments...

The Trigger Stick is probably the easiest to deploy, the Stoney Point maybe the second (and quiet), followed by the BogPod - but the Bog seems to be the most durable for my uses (metal).

If stalking the latter two should be in the approximate height that you want to use them. I left my Stoney Point tripod in South Africa as part of my tip for my PH - it was educating watching him practice setting up with the sticks after the hunt or at midday practicing deployment from a fast walk, stooped over crawl, etc. Like everything we use, PRACTICE
\:\)

Last edited by SChunter; 07/28/2012 4:25 PM. Reason: Deployment info
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: SChunter] #114422 07/28/2012 6:14 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I use the Stoney Point Tripod with rear short arm reat. Can use standing like in photo or shorten legs and use sitting. Worked great in Africa on a hillside and 125 yd. shot on caracal.

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: wvhitman] #114425 07/28/2012 6:51 PM
rbecker Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Wow carrying along a tripod kinda defeats the whole notion of a pistol being more portable than a rifle...for me anyhow.

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rbecker] #114426 07/28/2012 7:28 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I am pretty fortunate where I hunt. There are PLENTY of nature's own tripods around. There are trees down every where, or big rocks to hide behind and shoot over. I'd like to use a tripod in one area that has no natural tripods available for MILES-- Wyoming!!!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rbecker] #114428 07/28/2012 8:29 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: rbecker
Wow carrying along a tripod kinda defeats the whole notion of a pistol being more portable than a rifle...for me anyhow.

Ain't that the truth....
;\)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: s4s4u] #114435 07/28/2012 11:18 PM
rbecker Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I suppose I just need more practice at field positions. Guess I'll take the 357 out for some close up coyotes.

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rbecker] #114449 07/29/2012 3:43 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

Exactly my feelings also: If carrying a T/C Single Shot I might use a BR (small) Harris bipod OR rather use a backpack to rest on when shooting (you carry a backpack anyway if you are really HUNTING away from the truck/roads; I also use shooting sticks as a walking/shooting aid) but I definitely don't want to "go there" with a bigger tripod (with/or without accessories;) if it's that big to need a tripod, might as well NOT call it handgun hunting..."but rather short rifle"... uh oh, I think I am in trouble already...

dang it...do I care???
I do, but...but...

...but that is just my humble opinion; just as all of you have your _____ opinion...
;\)
\:D

Five of my best successful handgun hunts (kills) featuring my most beloved "quiet time" memories are:

Bull elk (6X6) with scoped FA .454 at 75 yards +/-; rest was my knees.

Bull elk (5X6) with FA .454; iron sights at +/-100 yards; rest was a log.

Bull elk (5X5) with custom .475 Linebaugh; at 100 yards +/-; rest was shooting sticks, plus I filmed it...

Four by four mule deer with FA .500 WE, 10 yards +/-; no rest, off hand and swinging!

Rocky Mountain Mule Deer; scored 204 and change; T/C 30-06 JDJ, my rest was my backpack; it was a loooong ways away...

Again...JMHO's...

Not trying to start an argument or fight.

Last edited by Gregg Richter; 07/29/2012 5:00 PM. Reason: sometimes use sticks also

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Gregg Richter] #114452 07/29/2012 4:44 AM
rbecker Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I think I might be willing to take along a monopod because it doubles as a hiking staff. At this point in my training it must be limited to closer than 100yds. How much closer, not sure yet. Haven't tried it from seated position yet. I did notice that when standing I had to be conscious of putting pressure on it with the gun. That didn't help groups at all. I didn't attempt reaching out to gently grip barrel with weak hand, not sure what that would have accomplished, other than maybe darkening the view through the scope some.

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rbecker] #114464 07/29/2012 11:44 AM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
Mossback Shooting Tripod is my favorite ground rest for handguns. Cradles the gun better and offers great balance. As for the ones who say it ain't handgunning if a stick rest is needed...I will do everything in my power to assure a good shot and humane kill and not worry about the "Dirty Harry ego". Wasn't it Harry himself who stated "a man has know his limitations..."?

Last edited by kingfisher; 07/29/2012 11:46 AM.
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: kingfisher] #114465 07/29/2012 12:16 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
absolutely nothing wrong with using what you need/want, but i'm just not going to carry a contraption with me while hunting. it would have to be very small and light if i did, and a specialized situation at that.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: KYODE] #114467 07/29/2012 1:20 PM
Randominator Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree. When I am stalking or still hunting I carry a backpack with a small pillow inside, or a set of Stoney Point shooting sticks. I only use the tripod set-up when I am in a blind or will be set up in one location for the duration of my hunt. The farm I deer hunt has a cedar tree infested fence row that serves as the property line. I have a tree I get under and I will set up the tripod with my Encore and I keep a single action pistol in my lap. This set-up allows me to monitor 75% of the farm and offers shot opportunities up to 300 yards. I would never attempt it without the tripod.

Last edited by Randominator; 07/30/2012 1:37 AM.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
VHA Member

"get busy living, or get busy dying"
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Randominator] #114485 07/29/2012 3:50 PM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
Thanks to this thread, I just rigged a small butt pad on my Caldwell Deadshot Field Pod to use primarily in my chair blind but is lightweight enough for stalking or even in a ladder stand. This is one hell of a "contraption"(G) and will serve my shaky hands well.
Shoot straight, my friends

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rbecker] #114493 07/29/2012 5:04 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I think I might be willing to take along a monopod because it doubles as a hiking staff. At this point in my training it must be limited to closer than 100yds. How much closer, not sure yet. Haven't tried it from seated position yet. I did notice that when standing I had to be conscious of putting pressure on it with the gun. That didn't help groups at all. I didn't attempt reaching out to gently grip barrel with weak hand, not sure what that would have accomplished, other than maybe darkening the view through the scope some.

I also like a monopod (the old legs don't work as good as they used to) and sometimes I carry 2 legged shooting sticks for walking/shooting aid, especially in snow.

I edited my previous post to include them; there is a section in my video where I demonstrate various field shooting positions, including using the sticks.

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Gregg Richter] #114528 07/29/2012 8:05 PM
rbecker Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Well contenders have a foregrip like a rifle but mine is only a 10 inch barrel, so I just hold with a Weaver or Isosolese grip technique like I use in action pistol matches on my semi autos or revolvers. Hunting loads are a whole different story on the recoil scale. I feel like I need both hands at the rear grip to control the gun in recoil. Is it actually possible to reach up front with the weak hand on a contender/ encore and use the front grip to steady the gun or on a big revolvers barrel for the same reason?

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rbecker] #114530 07/29/2012 8:11 PM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
Well contenders have a foregrip like a rifle but mine is only a 10 inch barrel, so I just hold with a Weaver or Isosolese grip technique like I use in action pistol matches on my semi autos or revolvers. Hunting loads are a whole different story on the recoil scale. I feel like I need both hands at the rear grip to control the gun in recoil. Is it actually possible to reach up front with the weak hand on a contender/ encore and use the front grip to steady the gun or on a big revolvers barrel for the same reason?

Possible for a T/C but not recommended. If you try that with a big wheel gun, you will be visiting your local burn unit.

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: kingfisher] #114547 07/29/2012 11:38 PM
rickiesrevenge Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I won a bog pod with the psr top from the MOA handgun competition. I used it for 3 days afterwards while in South Dakota shooting prairie dogs. It works awesome. I shot them to just under 300 yards with my 17 Ackley Hornet. I could have laid down and shot off my pack but you can see a whole lot more while sitting.

Last edited by rickiesrevenge; 07/29/2012 11:39 PM.
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rickiesrevenge] #114549 07/29/2012 11:46 PM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
How did you do that? That doesn't resemble my Bog Pod.

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: kingfisher] #114557 07/30/2012 12:48 AM
rickiesrevenge Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
They make several different tops for their tripods.

PSR top

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: kingfisher] #114566 07/30/2012 1:41 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: kingfisher

kingfisher:
Possible for a T/C but not recommended.

Very interesting; I had not known that. When shooting my .375 JDJ, .308 and 30-06 JDJ, .223 Rem, and .17 HMR Contenders/Encores off hand, I always use my left (weak) hand on the forearm. JD Jones (who knows how to hold a Contender and shoot it) sent me a pic for use in my video; he is shown shooting a T/C big recoiler offhand, and yep; he was holding the forearm with his weak hand. When I guided SSK's gunsmith, Dennis, (mule deer hunts) two different years; and we went to the range to shoot some steel, Dennis also used the same technique (BTW Dennis can REALLY shoot well off hand; he was banging steel at 300 yards plus off-hand.)

My Question, kingfisher, is where/how did you come up with holding the forearm of a T/C single shot with the weak hand is "not recommended?" I am very curious; hope to learn something here.

Thanks.

Gregg

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rickiesrevenge] #114567 07/30/2012 1:43 AM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
That's neat. Wish I had found it before I bought that other Bog Pod attachment. However, pretty satified with the "enhancements" I made on my Caldwell today.

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rickiesrevenge] #114580 07/30/2012 4:05 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I use what works.
If it is the difference between being able to make a good kill shot versus going home empty handed.
I can shoot off-hand as good as most and better than many but why use an unsteady rest when you can have a rock solid rest?
This works with revolvers or SP's.
My goal is to get as low to the ground(steady of a rest as possible) when hunting. If, a prone shot is not possible I will go with a sitting or kneeling, but I know it will limit my distance.
Typically, the further away your handgun is from the ground when shooting in field positions the more unstable your hold will be.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Gregg Richter] #114594 07/30/2012 8:18 AM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

kingfisher:

Very interesting; I had not known that. When shooting my .375 JDJ, .308 and 30-06 JDJ, .223 Rem, and .17 HMR Contenders/Encores off hand, I always use my left (weak) hand on the forearm. JD Jones (who knows how to hold a Contender and shoot it) sent me a pic for use in my video; he is shown shooting a T/C big recoiler offhand, and yep; he was holding the forearm with his weak hand. When I guided SSK's gunsmith, Dennis, (mule deer hunts) two different years; and we went to the range to shoot some steel, Dennis also used the same technique (BTW Dennis can REALLY shoot well off hand; he was banging steel at 300 yards plus off-hand.)

My Question, kingfisher, is where/how did you come up with holding the forearm of a T/C single shot with the weak hand is "not recommended?" I am very curious; hope to learn something here.

Thanks.

Gregg

I answered your PM, Gregg, but to let everyone know...my reply was not on behalf of industry standards but on behalf of my scarred forehead. My chest is large due to years of weightlifting but my arms are short due to genetics.(G) When I tried the off-hand forearm technique with my T/C .460 with a bent right elbow I got walloped on my forehead with scope. After I got the bleeding under control and skin off of scope, I decided to never try that technique again.
In closing, Gregg, I don't write books--I only give opinions based on my field experiences, which with handgunning are minimal compared to my years of bowhunting, but they are experiences indeed. Hope you learned from this--that everyone has an opinion, just like everyone ........

Last edited by kingfisher; 07/30/2012 8:20 AM.
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: kingfisher] #114696 07/31/2012 3:14 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

kingfisher:

Thanks.

Gregg

I answered your PM, Gregg, but to let everyone know...my reply was not on behalf of industry standards but on behalf of my scarred forehead. My chest is large due to years of weightlifting but my arms are short due to genetics.(G) When I tried the off-hand forearm technique with my T/C .460 with a bent right elbow I got walloped on my forehead with scope. After I got the bleeding under control and skin off of scope, I decided to never try that technique again.
In closing, Gregg, I don't write books--I only give opinions based on my field experiences, which with handgunning are minimal compared to my years of bowhunting, but they are experiences indeed. Hope you learned from this--that everyone has an opinion, just like everyone ........

Thanks for clarifying your "personal opinion" from your "Industry Standards." That is extremely important when a shooter asks a serious question specifically about a serious subject; ie; in this case the use of the forearm when shooting a T/C single shot. Better to use JMO, or "according to my experience," in certain situations.

JMHO

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Gregg Richter] #114702 07/31/2012 9:36 AM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
I stand corrected.

By the way...what happened in Colorada a few days ago is a SERIOUS subject. What's going on in Israel now is a SERIOUS subject. To hold or not to hold a forearm a SERIOUS subject? Give me a break....

Last edited by kingfisher; 07/31/2012 11:59 AM.
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Gregg Richter] #114705 07/31/2012 11:08 AM
archr610 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast

Thanks.

Gregg

Gregg,
Not disagreeing, just questioning. Do you not have less control of recoil shooting with weak hand on the forearm ? I know what my .45-70 is like with both hands on the grip.
I once saw a photo of a Contender where the shooter supposedly held the forearm and it came away from the barrel at the shot.
Also, and in case I decide to try this, are you griping the forearm or just supporting the front end with the weak hand ?

Jeff

Support bacteria:
It's the only culture some people have
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: archr610] #114708 07/31/2012 11:30 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
A number of years ago I had a custom forend (Wide Target forend) break in my right hand when shooting a very lightweight 429 Super Bower in a Contender.
I don't even remember what the cartridge was based off of.
I was very glad I had a leather glove on my right hand-I am left handed.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Ernie] #114709 07/31/2012 11:35 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I just recently posted this elsewhere about shooting positions when hunting or practicing.
My response originally involved types of ways for the handgun to be solid enough to kill game with, even at distance. I think sometimes we just like to argue and we end up being our own worst enemies. Here it is:

"Main thing is to find out what works for you.
There are a number of ways to "skin the cat."
I have killed big game (whitetail, mule deer, antelope, and elk) at distance (from 450-1000+ yards) off packs, fallen tree trunks, in between my knees, kneeling with a heavy mitten on a horizontal limb, and of course off of a bi-pod.
What works for me, may or may not work for you."

So, go and find what works for you, and use it!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: archr610] #114722 07/31/2012 3:19 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: archr610

Thanks.

Gregg

Gregg,
Not disagreeing, just questioning. Do you not have less control of recoil shooting with weak hand on the forearm ? I know what my .45-70 is like with both hands on the grip.
I once saw a photo of a Contender where the shooter supposedly held the forearm and it came away from the barrel at the shot.
Also, and in case I decide to try this, are you griping the forearm or just supporting the front end with the weak hand ?

Jeff

Jeff,

As I stated before, I am talking about shooting a T/C SS off-hand. In my experience, when using both hands on the grip only; that point acts as a fulcrum and the unbalanced barrel-heavy pistol has a greater tendency to flip; ie. the barrel comes up toward your head. When the weak hand grips the forearm, with STRENGTH (for support AND recoil control) the pistol is much better balanced and has two "attachment points" and recoils more controllably. Plus I can hold much steadier that way for a more accurate shot. A lot of it has to do with that "weak hand" strength."

In Ernie's case, it must have been pretty strong!

:grin

And like Ernie stated, do what works for you.

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Gregg Richter] #114760 07/31/2012 11:50 PM
rbecker Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Well this is all good to know. I will try holding the forarm on my 10 in. 30-30 contender to steady my aim over the monopod. It makes sense. Just need to try some things to see what works to steady crosshairs. Thanks Bob

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rbecker] #114769 08/01/2012 1:51 AM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
Well this is all good to know. I will try holding the forarm on my 10 in. 30-30 contender to steady my aim over the monopod. It makes sense. Just need to try some things to see what works to steady crosshairs. Thanks Bob

IMHO, watch your forehead.

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: rbecker] #114770 08/01/2012 1:52 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

PM sent.

Re: Tripods for the field. [Re: Gregg Richter] #114774 08/01/2012 2:11 AM
archr610 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast

Jeff,

As I stated before, I am talking about shooting a T/C SS off-hand. In my experience, when using both hands on the grip only; that point acts as a fulcrum and the unbalanced barrel-heavy pistol has a greater tendency to flip; ie. the barrel comes up toward your head. When the weak hand grips the forearm, with STRENGTH (for support AND recoil control) the pistol is much better balanced and has two "attachment points" and recoils more controllably. Plus I can hold much steadier that way for a more accurate shot. A lot of it has to do with that "weak hand" strength."

Thanks Gregg,
Makes perfect sense. Never even thought of the fulcrum thing.
I'm always willing to experiment especially since I'm still new to handgun hunting.
I use one of these for carry and steadiness.
http://www.eabco.com/store/products/JSI_Mountain_Climber_Handgun_Sling-134-0.html and never noticed the guy in the photo using the grip you described. I'll have to give it a try.

Jeff

Support bacteria:
It's the only culture some people have
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod