Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Night Hunting Set Up #115183 08/07/2012 1:15 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I have been working on my night hunting set up for my bow. I bought a Diamond Outlaw last fall and decided to revamped my Hoyte Havoctec to fit another, different, nitch. Hogs will not have a chance. Muwahahahaha

I took a 2 “D” Mag-Light with the new Zeon bulb and drilled a hole in the cap. I picked up a bolt the same size and tread count as the stabilizer uses and put it threw the cap with lock washers on each side and a nut, and used lock-tight. I had to bend the bolt around ever so slightly and at 30 yards it shines where the sights line up.

I also picked up a set of pins that could use a black light. (I found a set on sale for 10.00) This bow is 9 years ago. The old Hoyte sights just were not compatible and the plastic housing was cracking. LOL The black lights are awesome for shooting at night.

This set up lets me shoot at out to 40 yards with out a problem. At my normal 20-30 yard range 2in targets are as doable as shooting in daytime hours.

The ONLY problem I have had with this set up is the spring in the flashlight itself. The first time I shot it I heard a twang-wang, wang, wang, wang, wang, wang, wang, wang, wang… after wiping the puzzled look off my face I took the light apart and overstuffed the spring and cap with poly packing foam. Took care of the issue. LOL If you want to know what it sounded like strike the bottom of your Mag-Light in your hand and listen to the spring. Then multiply that by about 10…

Ps, this is legal in Texas to hunt hogs with, just know your laws...

Pss, using this light, or one like it, I have shot raccoon's out to 75 yards with a scoped handgun FWIW.

How the set up looks.

How the black lights and red light look with a crappy camera at 50 yards.

A better look at the red light.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Night Hunting Set Up [Re: TCTex.] #115184 08/07/2012 2:10 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
That look pretty wild, but kinda cool. I am surprised the tail cap on the light can take that weight hanging, but then they are tough lights. I used to shoot with the then target archers at the indoor range at the University of Washington, back in the day, and your setup looks "clean" compared to all the dodads they had hanging from their bows ;^)

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Night Hunting Set Up [Re: Bearbait in NM] #115185 08/07/2012 2:46 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That is cool! I love hunting at night! This is the setup I last used on my Maximum.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Night Hunting Set Up [Re: Whitworth] #115193 08/07/2012 4:17 PM
minnesotahunter Offline
old hand
old hand
Awesome!

MN

Re: Night Hunting Set Up [Re: minnesotahunter] #115198 08/07/2012 4:53 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Thanks Gents! Out to 30 yards it only changes the POI by 1/2 an inch. It balances well which is also important to me.

Whit, I need to find some sort of system for mounting a light to my handguns. I do well with the 3 or 4 "D" Mag-Lights with red lenses in them. I just place the TC on the sand bag in my stand and place the flash light next to the bag and hold it with the off hand. I am not putting down your version, mine is just more cost friendly to me... LOL

Your method is a lot more user friendly when shooting off hand. I have done it with mine at 25 yards while chasing skunks, but it is a little more changing.

Bearbait, I like it because it is solid. I don't have to worry about anything falling off or coming apart. I found the light on sale for 20.00, the pins were on sale at Walmart last year for 15.00, and I bought a big red lens for 2.00 and cut it down. Including the mounting hardware for the flashlight, I have under 50.00 in this set-up.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Night Hunting Set Up [Re: TCTex.] #115208 08/07/2012 6:00 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Tex, a smaller version is coming from this manufacturer for use on bows and handguns. I will keep you posted.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Night Hunting Set Up [Re: Whitworth] #115310 08/09/2012 3:30 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
That is awesome, Tex!

Whit, is that set-up pretty reliable during the heavy recoil of the Maximum? IE: You haven't had any fly-offs? Can you use the ejector rod with it installed?

Re: Night Hunting Set Up [Re: Gregg Richter] #117218 09/05/2012 6:30 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Whit, any news on the progression of light you mentioned?

Benjamin Franklin
Re: Night Hunting Set Up [Re: TCTex.] #117222 09/05/2012 6:54 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: TCTex.
Whit, any news on the progression of light you mentioned?

I will ask the guy this afternoon when I hopefully talk to him. If not today than certainly tomorrow.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod