Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AK black bear hunt-spring 2013 #116508 08/26/2012 2:42 PM
Dewphd Offline OP
OP Offline
I am thinking about a spring 2013 black bear hunt in AK. I have never done this type of hunt before but would like to give it a shot (no pun intended). Thinking of going to the following lodge: http://www.greenrockslodge.com. Anyone have ANY feedback on this endeavor?

Thanks!

Dan

Re: AK black bear hunt-spring 2013 [Re: Dewphd] #116510 08/26/2012 3:27 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
4 of us hunted there this past May and knowing what I know now, I would have some concerns booking a hunt out of a permanent lodge for a coastal hunt and especially so without a lot of knowledge about the waterways surrounding the lodge. How far will you have to travel by boat to get to an area that hasn't been hunted hard already. What's the exposure (facing direction) of the majority of the area. The grass on many of the beaches is spotty and there can be miles of rocky beach that just isn't going to have grass. Even a couple miles in a small open boat can be a significant challenge up there and the weather can change on a dime so you have a lot to think about if you're going venture into some of the larger fjords and possibly end up a long way from camp on a slick morning. Personally I would rather get set up in a drop camp in a remote area but I know that's not for everyone. We hunted a remote area and were very successful and we talked to a lot of hunters in the airports and around town when we got back and we were far more successful than anyone else we talked to. I didn't talk to anyone else that hunted from a drop camp and we saw no one else in 6 days of hunting. I would be doing a lot of looking at a map of that area. Even though we were hunting a wilderness area the 4 of us were still set up in two camps about 6 miles apart. If we hadn't been our success rate would not have been what it was.

http://www.handgunhunt.com/alaska_bear.php

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: AK black bear hunt-spring 2013 [Re: Dewphd] #116514 08/26/2012 6:10 PM
Dewphd Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the sound advice. I am a little leary about the area as the number of tags is severely limited. I am not opposed to a drop camp and would actually like that. My search will continue.

Thanks again,

Dan

Re: AK black bear hunt-spring 2013 [Re: Dewphd] #116519 08/26/2012 7:37 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
That area of SE AK is beautiful country and I will be going back for sure. We got in to the last year of no-draw hunting. IMHO they changed this because it was too easy for the DIY crowd. There was probably some politics involved that saw $$ signs so I would expect the prices to start going up too.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: AK black bear hunt-spring 2013 [Re: Gary] #116532 08/27/2012 12:18 AM
Boartuff Offline
addict
addict
I have not been here, but this option seems interesting.

http://www.alaskablackbearstalkers.com/

~BT~
Re: AK black bear hunt-spring 2013 [Re: Boartuff] #116537 08/27/2012 1:44 AM
Dewphd Offline OP
OP Offline
That link does look good. Thanks for posting..

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 48 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod