Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Concealed weapons permit??? #8096 03/17/2005 8:56 PM
DakotaElkSlayer Offline OP
OP Offline
I was wondering if I should get a concealed weapons permit? The reason why I ask is that I could see me wanting to hunt with it "concealed" if I am out in the rain or a blizzard. Although I am hunting, wouldn't I need a concealed license permit if the revolver isn't visible on the outside of my clothes? Will be checking ND's hunting regs, but wanted some experienced opinions.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8097 03/17/2005 9:20 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Definitely don't get caught with a concealed handgun. Get the permit. In VA we have a rule on the books that says that if hunting you can conceal your handgun during inclement weather. Every game warden I've ever talked with said you'd be arrested and he would let the judge sort out the details. You can be sure a regular cop would do the same. Now we are a "shall issue" state so there is really no reason not to get the permit and be legal.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: Gary] #8098 03/17/2005 9:30 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Gary gives excellent advise. Get the permit and remove all doubt if you are legal or not. In NY you have to have a permit just to own a handgun. I got mine as a conceled carry, so now when I hunt in bad weather I can keep the gun clean and dry under my coat. Besides that, if you have the permit a-lot of states will reciprocate the permit so then you could carry in that state with your home state permit.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: Tigger] #8099 03/18/2005 12:09 AM
OP Offline
Thanks guys!

Jim

Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8100 03/18/2005 2:42 AM
coltfan Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Dakota,
I'm of the same opinion as Gary. Here in PA, you need what is called a "Sportsman's Permit" to carry any handgun for hunting. The rules about that permit allowing concealed carry are pretty vague. Both my son and I have opted for the concealed carry permit in order to prevent the Game Commission Officer from being both judge and jury. Since I already had the "Sportsmans Permit" (valid for 5 years) I'm double covered. I might just renew the SP, just to keep it that way.

Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: coltfan] #8101 03/18/2005 3:04 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
you guys in the north east need to get you some new politicians, you have to have permits for everything, then again we could just get rid of all politicians and start over.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: coltfan] #8102 03/18/2005 3:39 AM
slavage Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

Dakota,
I'm of the same opinion as Gary. Here in PA, you need what is called a "Sportsman's Permit" to carry any handgun for hunting. The rules about that permit allowing concealed carry are pretty vague. Both my son and I have opted for the concealed carry permit in order to prevent the Game Commission Officer from being both judge and jury. Since I already had the "Sportsmans Permit" (valid for 5 years) I'm double covered. I might just renew the SP, just to keep it that way.

being from pa all so thats what i do i have both a carry permite an the sportsman permit
kind of stuped but they get you for the extra few bucks
to hunt with the gun in your hand an visible you have to have the sportsman permite cause its not concealed but as soon as you toss it in the truck or under your jacket or in a full size holster its conseald so you have to have a ccl lmmfao so its simple around here you go to the get the ccl permite walk two blocks to the treashers office an get the sportsman an have them both expire the same day lol
dave

Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: slavage] #8103 03/18/2005 3:58 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Rod, as I recall from when I lived in Oregon, if you had a hunting license you were OK to carry your handgun concealed in the field & concealed but unloaded in the vehicle going to & from a hunting trip. Is that still the rule there?
Ity's not an issue here in Ak.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: slavage] #8104 03/18/2005 3:59 AM
OP Offline
Here in ND getting a CCW is pretty easy. The politians are even pushing a bill to eliminate the short, open-book test. Besides the short test, there is a 25ft. pistol profency exam. We made the national news the other week when a LEGALLY BLIND guy got his CCW.

Jim

Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: Vance in AK.] #8105 03/18/2005 6:50 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Vance, it is still that way here and in fact they have gone to a "shall issue" for your ccw, you just have to take a short class and the sherrifs dept will issue you a permit after a background check. one other thing in oregon you can carry your handgun loaded in the rig but you do have to have a ccw if it is concealed.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: wapitirod] #8106 03/18/2005 3:07 PM
OP Offline
Looks like I won't be getting a CCW... Took a look at the North Dakota laws and it says that I have to have a "valid reason". The only reason why I want one is to "conceal" while hunting if the weather turns bad. A valid reason in my mind. I continued reading and found that " A firearm or dangerous weapon is not considered concealed if it is: Carrried in the field while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping, or target shooting, wheather visible or not. " There goes my valid reason!

Jim

Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8107 03/18/2005 8:08 PM
slavage Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

Looks like I won't be getting a CCW... Took a look at the North Dakota laws and it says that I have to have a "valid reason". The only reason why I want one is to "conceal" while hunting if the weather turns bad. A valid reason in my mind. I continued reading and found that " A firearm or dangerous weapon is not considered concealed if it is: Carrried in the field while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping, or target shooting, wheather visible or not. " There goes my valid reason!

Jim

ok i dont want to be taken as one of them people that go to every word an run about the nra an such but its simple
tell them your reasion is personal pertection an the right to bare arms

Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8108 03/20/2005 12:59 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Hey guys, as a matter of clarification for PA game law. You must have EITHER a sportsmans permit OR a CCW permit to carry and hunt with a handgun. However, you may not carry a Concealed weapon on you if you are bow hunting (as in Colorado where you can); or while spotlighting deer or wildlife. PA game law rules apply while spotlighting!! Sportsamn's permit allows you to carry while hunting or fishing period. You are allowed to carry concealed in inclement weather. Did you ever try to conceal a scoped 15" Encore beneath a hooded sweatshirt? It looks pretty funny!! You cannot have a loaded handgun in a vehicle unless you have a CCW. This was changed a few years ago, thanks to a few reasonable politician!! Thank you Rick Santorum!!!! It's in the books. I hope this helps. Gerry. PS-I guess I have to ask the question. If your state allows CCW; why don't you do it? It is a very precious right and privelge not to be taken lightly!!
Like your VISA; Never leave home without it. I don't want to concern anybody, but on April 10, I will be wearing mine!!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #8109 03/20/2005 1:38 AM
coltfan Offline
journeyman
journeyman
BH,
Forgive my ignorance, but what's so special about April 10?

Re: Concealed weapons permit??? [Re: coltfan] #8110 03/21/2005 1:38 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Coltfan, April 10th is the 'Handgun Hunter' handgun fun shoot proposed by Dan B out in western Pa.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod