Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Encore problem-- barrel opened when fired #117598 09/10/2012 1:32 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
So what causes the barrel to fly open when I fire off a round? Did it to me the first time, and I figured maybe I didn't have it completely closed. Highly unlikely cause the hammer wouldn't have cocked if it wasn't closed properly. Fired it three more times, and it did it again on the fourth shot. This time, I stopped shooting, cleaned the gun, looked for anything obvious, and found nothing.

Any thoughts?? Is it improper shooting form or something?? I am new to these encores, so don't want to rule out operator error.

Thanks!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Encore problem-- barrel opened when fired [Re: Raptortrapper] #117599 09/10/2012 1:47 AM
punkinslinger Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I had a 375JDJ in a contender that did that after a hot load, had to send it in, I forget what exactly JD said, I believe it stretched the chamber enough, that it would not lock up properly, came back with a new barrel.

Did you put on a new forearm or any alterations since you last shot it?

I doubt it is improper shooting form, there is a mechanical problem somewhere.

Stop shooting it, for sure.

The good Lord gives us "Life" a "Window Of Opportunity" what we do with this opportunity, defines who we are and what we become.
Re: Encore problem-- barrel opened when fired [Re: punkinslinger] #117605 09/10/2012 2:21 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
No, didn't change anything. The loads are all factory "scam" bullets-- the 200gr. FTX Hornady loads. That' all I've been shooting through this "break in" period since its a new barrel.

Gonna call MGM tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks. At least I don't feel stupid now.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 09/10/2012 3:40 AM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Encore problem-- barrel opened when fired [Re: Raptortrapper] #117607 09/10/2012 3:38 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
chambering?

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Encore problem-- barrel opened when fired [Re: Ernie] #117608 09/10/2012 4:24 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
the normal cause of that is the locking lugs not fully engaging. Take a black sharpie and color the top of the lugs and then latch the barrel. The pen mark should be scraped half way up and no less than a third of the way. If your just getting contact marks on the end the lugs are too thick. Alot of people done realize not all the lugs are the same thickness. I was watching Mike Bellm checking them and he had about a dozen different thickness's of lugs he used.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Encore problem-- barrel opened when fired [Re: wapitirod] #117648 09/10/2012 5:10 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I called MGM, and they are going to fix it. The consensus seems to be the lugs from them as well. They said if I send in my action with the barrel, they will custom fit them for me, double check the action, and make sure the barrel is doing okay.

They are paying shipping both ways, and will have it in and out in a couple days. Couldn't ask for anything more from them!

Sure am bummed to have to send it in, but at least it will be done correctly, and no more problems should be encountered.

Re: Encore problem-- barrel opened when fired [Re: Raptortrapper] #117657 09/10/2012 8:47 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
They are paying shipping both ways, and will have it in and out in a couple days. Couldn't ask for anything more from them!

That is exactly what they have done for me!!!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 101 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod