Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Picking it up tomorrow....now what? #8132 03/22/2005 3:13 AM
DakotaElkSlayer Offline OP
OP Offline
Yipee! Tomorrow morning I am picking up my new Super Blackhawk Hunting in .45Colt. Needless to say, I am rather excited.

Since this is my first "real" pistol, was hoping you folks could help me out? How do you "break-in" the barrel? If any other tips come to mind, let me know. Oh ya, ordered a ring lapping kit from Midway today...

Jim

Re: Picking it up tomorrow....now what? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8133 03/22/2005 12:37 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
congrats.........sounds like a good start. excellent move on the ring lapping, imo.
next thing i'd do would be to get the trigger down to a nice pull and add a belt mountain base pin to prevent it backing out with powerful loads.

what kinnda scope ya gonna put on her?

dang i'd love to have one in 41mag

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Picking it up tomorrow....now what? [Re: KYODE] #8134 03/22/2005 4:22 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Everything Kyode mentioned makes sense. It's where I'd start.
But for now, JUST GO SHOOT IT! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!
As far as breaking in the barrel goes, & haven't had a lot of new guns, ususlly I go for the pre-owned value (Let's say I'm thrifty). But on the ones I have had, I've shot 100 or so rounds of reasonably priced(there's that frugal streak again) jacketed ammo, to kind of "polish" the bore before I started shooting my reloads, which are usually cast. For me, I'd be looking at a 325(and up) hard cast bullet over a good charge of H-110 in your gun for my hunting load. Obviously for deer you could go with something lighter, & even a jacketed bullet.
But for now, just find some jacketed stuff & shoot that bugger! Have fun!
Also, you'll probably find the recoil level on most factory 45 Colt ammo to be tolerable which is important if you haven't shot big-bore handguns a lot. If you handload, for the Ruger, you can whip up some mighty stout loads.
By the way, did I say for now just go shoot it? A whole bunch!! With the sights, don't wait for the scope to get mounted!!!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Picking it up tomorrow....now what? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #8135 03/23/2005 11:56 AM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
This is one way, it does take time.
Fire one and clean Do this 12 times (2 out of each cylinder) total of 12 shots

Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore
Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore
Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore.

then Fire 3 times and clean same as above do this 6 times so all cylinders are used total of 18 shots

Then lastly fire 6 round and clean do this 5 times. total of 30 shots

This is a modified procedure based on one from the Savage arms website and it is how they recommend on breaking in their barrels. I follow this with all my new barrels and it works just takes some time

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod