Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Needing a Chrony #118732 09/26/2012 12:56 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
The topic of getting a chrony came up in a previous thread, and instead of continuing that conversation there, I figured I would start a new thread.

I am new to reloading, and the last piece of equipment that I need to obtain is a good chrony. I don't want something that I will be frustrated with, or that won't work after 6 months. I am one of those guys that has a science background, and wants to know the details. I want a good, precise chrony that will last a LOOOOONG time. I don't know if it is possible to have one that does more than just give you the velocity of the last shot, but if there is, THAT is the kind of stuff I'm interested in. Average of a string of shots, fastest shot, slowest shot, median, etc...

I was in the infectious disease research lab at Colorado State, and loved it. There are even days that I miss it. But it was a "career" where I didn't have much room to grow unless I wanted to work for the government, and that is NOT gonna happen. So I changed fields, became an electrician, and am now in the oil field. All of those fields have the same thing in common: Ya HAVE to pay attention to detail, and I enjoy details.

So, if you have any suggestions on makes or models, that is what I want in a chrony- something a SCIENTIST would be happy with!

Thanks!!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Needing a Chrony [Re: Raptortrapper] #118733 09/26/2012 1:11 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Oehler 35P

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Needing a Chrony [Re: Ernie] #118735 09/26/2012 1:28 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Thanks Ernie! Looked at this 35P, and that looks like it would work great! But it is no longer being made. Called two places and they both said the same thing. Maybe I can find one still on the shelf somewhere, but may have to find a comparable model. That one looks perfect though!

update: Nevermnind!!! Found one!!!

Last edited by raptortrapper; 09/26/2012 1:36 PM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Needing a Chrony [Re: Raptortrapper] #118741 09/26/2012 2:55 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
All I need a chrony to do is tell me the speed of the bullet I just shot. Some have all kinds of bells and whistlees that aren't really necessary, IMO. I use a $100 Shooting Chrony, works great.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Needing a Chrony [Re: s4s4u] #118754 09/26/2012 6:57 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Yeah I've been looking at a few of these chronies, and it looks like you can spend as little or as much as you want. I'm pretty good with math, so I may just get one of these basic ones you are talking about Rod, and go with it. We'll see...

Re: Needing a Chrony [Re: Raptortrapper] #118770 09/26/2012 11:03 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
I have a Pact and a Shooting Chrony. The SC gets the nod most times, as it is very compact. My Pact uses a 2 foot bar for the diffusers, and might be something to factor into your equation. That and whether you want cables strung out etc. Both work perfectly. And I actually just write my numbers down while I am shooting, and cruch numbers back home.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Needing a Chrony [Re: Bearbait in NM] #118789 09/27/2012 3:03 AM
Team Amish 1 Offline
I've been using a "Competition Electronics, Inc." (CEI) ProChrono for several years now and I regularly chrono, so it gets good use. Battery operated, works in sunny and overcast conditions, cost less than $100. Chronos really don't get worked that hard, if you take a little care in using them they'll last forever. Unless you make chronoing your profession, you may not need a top-of-the-line model. Leave more money for primers!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 82 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod