Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? #121325 11/06/2012 10:20 PM
Onthewater7 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have a Dan Wesson .44 with a 10" ported barrel and I would like to harvest a deer this year with it.
I cant decIde on wether to go red dot or scope for optics or go old school

If I go with scope I'm thinking 2x maybe 4x

Kinda like the idea of how light red dots are though

Would love to hear people's opinions and suggestions on this

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Onthewater7] #121326 11/06/2012 10:56 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
A red dot is quicker on target than a scope and better in low light. If you don't plan to shoot much beyond 100 yards there is really not much need for magnification, IMO.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: s4s4u] #121327 11/06/2012 11:23 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
It's really a matter of preference and some of that comes too from how and where you hunt. Personally, I prefer a variable power scope in the 2-8x range. I'm of the opinion that if you can't see it you can't hit it. If you hunt in open areas then a dot or 2x is fine when the ranges get to 100 yards. However, if it's a situation where the animal is in cover at 100 then there is no substitute for a good scope at a higher power. With all of this said, I really like hunting with iron sights, but there are some limitations to that choice too.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Onthewater7] #121339 11/07/2012 12:36 AM
Mark Schronce Offline
Onthewater7,

I used a dot last year, and will use a scope from now on. The dot is good tracking and spoting on game. If you can see the dot it is on. I had a problem with the dot fading off and no. switch problems. The dot was replaced by factory after season. But that is one thing about dots, you have a chance of something going dead or not working. Also you do not have the light gathering with dot, you you loss low light shooting. I am not downing dot, I just like scopes better. Go with 2x6 or 2x8 scope.

Mark

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Mark Schronce] #121340 11/07/2012 12:40 AM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Scopes are far better early and late in day. THe red dot overpowers the dim animal you're shooting and you see nothing but red. I used a red dot a lot one summer on crop damage deer and could not get shots at many deer. The dot is great for up close dangerous game hunting, but that ain't a deer.

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: wvhitman] #121613 11/09/2012 3:13 PM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
I posted on your other post about RedDots before getting to this one.

I have not used any Red Dot other than the UltraDot, so my experiance is limited to them.

As the light gets dimer I like to aim at objects and adjust the Brightness of the Dot down. I have not had a serious problem with Bloom in the UltraDot.

The issue of battery operated things failing. I have a great set of back up iron sights on my Super RedHawk. In about 30 seconds with a screwdriver I can be back up and running if I ever did have a failure.
Speaking of failure in the last month at the range, we had a scope go down when the scope mount screws came loose. We had a second one that something came apart in the scope turret. These were long range match shooters, and NOT Billy Bob with junk on his gun. Anything mechanical can quit. Getting a quality product with a proven track record normally helps however. UltraDot has a great track record on this site, as does Leupold, and some other scopes and high dollar RedDots.

A lot also depends on where you are hunting at, range you plan to shoot etc. I prefer to Tree Stand hunt in the woods with my revolver. I also stalk some.
If I were planning to hunt open fields, I would probably switch to my 35 BullBerry or 6.5x30JDJ Contender that shoot much flatter than my 480 with 400 grain Flat Points.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

See You At The Range
Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Bob Roach] #121614 11/09/2012 3:16 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I presonally have found that the red dot-type sights extend my hunting time considerably. But everyone's eyes are different. Yes, anything mechanical can fail and batteries do die. That said, one of my Ultradot 30s is still using it's original battery. Granted I always carry spares in teh field, but I keep replacing the spares and not the one in the unit.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Whitworth] #121618 11/09/2012 5:42 PM
bobhanson1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
For my .44's I use either a 2x Leupold or a red dot...I like the little extra magnification with the 2x, but sometimes the cross hairs blend into the heavy brush where I hunt at dawn/dusk so I typically carry 2 pistols, one with each sight, in case I move to another spot where my first choice isn't as reliable. A dot also allows you to shoot with both eyes open which is a plus on running game... I don't think you'll go wrong with either option and as I said why settle for just one!!!

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: bobhanson1] #121621 11/09/2012 6:25 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Great point, Bob!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: bobhanson1] #121625 11/09/2012 8:03 PM
7P's Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: bobhanson1
A dot also allows you to shoot with both eyes open which is a plus on running game...

This is something I've never understood - shooting a scope with only one eye open. I've always shot everything with both eyes open and with a scope you throw it up - your scope eye sees the X-hair while your "off-eye" sees the game and you swing the X-hairs toward the target - bingo.

I've try teaching that to several shooters and for reasons I'll never understand, they just can't get it to come all together.

In benchrest I'd watch my flags and at 200/300 yards I could also see the flags from the guys next to me in my scope - I could also watch most of the field with my "off-eye" and could see a wind change coming sometimes - sometimes that wind was mighty stealthy.

Do most here shoot both eyes open with irons, dots, peeps, scope or whatever else is on top of that barrel?

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: 7P's] #121626 11/09/2012 8:13 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I shoot everything both eyes open. Bow, shotgun, rifle, pistol, scopes, irons...

I didn't realize I was the "odd ball" till last year.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Raptortrapper] #121627 11/09/2012 8:56 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
I shoot everything both eyes open. Bow, shotgun, rifle, pistol, scopes, irons...

This is the "normal" way, those others are odd ;-)

The best way to practice is to look at a target and then bring the dot/scope up between you and the object until the reticle is on the target. The worst thing is to begin by looking into the sight and then looking for the target.

With both eyes you look through the sight rather than into it. When done properly the tube of the sight will nearly disappear from view.

Rod, too.

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: s4s4u] #121635 11/09/2012 10:33 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Yup, I agree! You're preaching to the choir on this one! I tried doing the one eye closed thing. Felt like I was a peeping tom or something!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: 7P's] #121643 11/10/2012 12:22 AM
Onthewater7 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
OK so some background info for all. This past year they finally made it legal to hunt with a hand gun in CT, so this is why Im going to give this a try.
I reload all my own .44. Thinking of shooting a 225fxt or 240jhp, I was originally thinking 180jhp but now think that is prob too light even though it will shoot a lot flatter.

I am hunting some private Family land that I have three stands on. (1) small clearing and a pond max 120yrd.
Also have two stands on a different part of the 80a of land. They are sitting on the sides of a big field. (2)overlooking whole field, Max 300yds. (3) over looking other side of field but also on the edge of a logging path that goes off into woods. Big scrape 75-100 yrds away, lots of prints on path going past this stand. woods in this area are pretty cleared out also on edge of swamp.
Today I went to check on my three stands to make sure they are ok since the hurricane came through. one is "ok" but will be last yr in that tree. Tree is huge, 2.5ft across, but has a split in it, I have stand on one of the main trunks that is part of split off. Storm has made split bigger. :-( But stand is in a perfect spot for a hand gun.
I am prob going to hunt (1), (2) the most and (3) when wind direction is bad for other ones. On (1) I will only carry hand gun. (2) I plan to carry .44 and .270 if I have to take long shot. Stand (3) will be all .270.

last yrs deer and my first was a 8pt, dressed hanging at butcher w/o head at 126lbs taken at 125yrds with a borrowed 30/30 iron site lever gun from stand (2).

I have been practicing at 50yds with my S/W629 44mag iron sites and can hit a plate no prob. Waiting on Dan wesson.44 to come back from gun smith.
I would like to be able to hit 75-100yds confidently, that is one of the reasons Im looking at a Scope or Red dot.

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Bob Roach] #121645 11/10/2012 12:23 AM
Onthewater7 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
[quote=Bob R]I posted on your other post about RedDots before getting to this one.

I have not used any Red Dot other than the UltraDot, so my experiance is limited to them.

Which Ultradot are you using?
Thanks
Lucas

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Onthewater7] #121646 11/10/2012 12:48 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Thinking of shooting a 225fxt or 240jhp, I was originally thinking 180jhp but now think that is prob too light even though it will shoot a lot flatter.

Between 0 and 100 yards it really isn't that much flatter. I'd suggest loading the tried and true 240 XTP and zero @ 75 yards with irons, or 100 yards with optics. Aim for the boiler room and get prepared for le aroma de gutpile ;-)

Rod, too.

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: s4s4u] #121653 11/10/2012 2:59 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
Lucas
I am on my second UltraDot 30. My first one was a Silver UltraDot 30 on a SS 44 Magnum Super RedHawk.
I am now using a Target Grey Super RedHawk in 480 Ruger with a Black UltraDot 30.
My back up front sight is a Marble Green Fiber Optic.

Tree Stand hunting: I hunt from Double Wide Ladder Stands. I use a Monopod from Walmart modified with a rubber Cane Tip epoxied on the bottom for a rest. The cane tip keeps the steel bullet point Quiet, and also keeps the tip from going through the expanded metal floor on the stand. I also have a 14" wide piece of plywood attached to the Right side of the rail with a couple C Clamps. I put a folded towel on the plywood and rest my revolver on it. The towel keeps it from making any noise when I pick it up.
I will be in the stand first thing in the morning. Opening Day of the Missouri Season.

Bob

See You At The Range
Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Onthewater7] #121658 11/10/2012 4:15 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Onthewater7

Which Ultradot are you using?
Thanks
Lucas

Lucas, I am using Ultradot 30s, an Ultradot 4, and an Ultradot 6. I recently acquired a Pan A-V and an L/T as well which I plan on testing real soon. All of them have performed quite well.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: 7P's] #121660 11/10/2012 4:37 AM
bobhanson1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: 7P's
 Originally Posted By: bobhanson1
A dot also allows you to shoot with both eyes open which is a plus on running game...

This is something I've never understood - shooting a scope with only one eye open. I've always shot everything with both eyes open and with a scope you throw it up - your scope eye sees the X-hair while your "off-eye" sees the game and you swing the X-hairs toward the target - bingo.

I've try teaching that to several shooters and for reasons I'll never understand, they just can't get it to come all together.

In benchrest I'd watch my flags and at 200/300 yards I could also see the flags from the guys next to me in my scope - I could also watch most of the field with my "off-eye" and could see a wind change coming sometimes - sometimes that wind was mighty stealthy.

Do most here shoot both eyes open with irons, dots, peeps, scope or whatever else is on top of that barrel?

7P's-for some of us it's a restriction due to vision, not that we can't do it this way or don't want to. With a 2x or 4x scope I can shoot with both eyes open, but past anything 4x I can't because the my eyes won't process images of both fields without it distorting the primary sight picture image for me too much... It's like anything else, it's as much personal preference as anything...

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: bobhanson1] #121733 11/11/2012 9:04 AM
Big Dick Mcgee Offline
stranger
stranger
I have hunted with the bushnell holo sight and was rather fond of it on my 454 until a buck came up to me about 20 yards away and the battery was dead. Went to bushnell 2-6 power handgun scopes ever since and love them. If you decide to go with a red dot always put fresh batteries in before the hunt and carry spares with!

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Big Dick Mcgee] #121750 11/11/2012 4:33 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I always carry spare batteries for my red dots and have my .357 Blackhawk with iron sights in a hip holster if the red dot battery fails,which I've not had happen ,but I do place a fresh battery in my dots each year even though the one in the dot is still going strong I try not to take chances.If you turn down the intensity of the dot to the light/lack of light, conditions you shouldn't have any problems seeing your game, at least I've never had that problem.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: johnwilliams] #121757 11/11/2012 6:49 PM
Slingshot Offline
Been reading this thread with much interest. I have no experience with red dots, but have a Leupold 2x on my 480 SRH. I have been satisfied with the package and it allows me to shoot beyond 50 yds with more confidence.

I don't think there is a magic solution to aiming where you seek a single focal point rather than using the iron sights.

For me, scopes slow you down. You need a rest unless it is a very quick shot. Mentioned earlier that you need to raise the gun aiming, not bring the gun up and search for the target. That is too slow.

I use a Stoney Point monopod and swear by it as compared to the various other rests I have tried for a handgun. But you need to think "rest" when hunting with a handgun and scope unless it is a very quick shot.

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Slingshot] #121758 11/11/2012 7:02 PM
Slingshot Offline
If you are serious about handgun hunting, you will leave the rifle home. I know that from experience because you almost always will choose the rifle when its time for the actual shot. None of us want to wound a deer. But if you are putting in the time to hunt and you have a shot opportunity, you will likely choose the more certain tool for the job.

We make excuses... I'm using the rifle scope to assist me in watching the deer until it moves closer. But when you get to handgun range, you are not likely to all of a sudden put down the rifle and pick up the handgun. Too much motion and potential noise. Use binoculars.

It is possible to have both a rifle and handgun in a stand. If you have your handgun lying on the ground beside you or the rifle leaning against a tree, you will most likely choose the firearm that requires the least amount of movement. Keep it simple and take only one firearm.

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: Raptortrapper] #121767 11/11/2012 11:05 PM
archr610 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast

God gave me two eyes. I use 'em both.
OH, btw, I'm somewhat of a photographer and umm, yep, both eyes open.

Last edited by archr610; 11/12/2012 1:38 AM.

Support bacteria:
It's the only culture some people have
Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: archr610] #121777 11/12/2012 2:04 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: archr610

God gave me two eyes. I use 'em both.
OH, btw, I'm somewhat of a photographer and umm, yep, both eyes open.

Me too....oh...not a photographer, but I shoot with both eyes open.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: 7P's] #122600 11/23/2012 1:11 PM
BobRos Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I have 2x7's on my guns and only use magnification higher than 2 on the bench. I do find getting the correct eye relief so you get the full scope view touchy with scopes which is why I'm considering putting a Dot on my 44.

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: 7P's] #122752 11/25/2012 2:21 PM
BobRos Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Isn't a running shot with any gun let alone a handgun a risky proposition? Unless you've already hit the animal and you're trying to finish 'em off that is.

Re: Help: Scope or red dot for hunting? [Re: BobRos] #122758 11/25/2012 4:15 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: BobRos
Isn't a running shot with any gun let alone a handgun a risky proposition? Unless you've already hit the animal and you're trying to finish 'em off that is.

Risky for some perhaps, but most of my deer have been shot on the move. Some moving faster than others, but on the move. I prefer to hunt on the ground, sometimes in a team with others in our group, and sometimes stalking on my own. Once in a while you can catch them in bed, but usually they are either rising up or already headed out when you see them and you must shoot quickly and accurately. During the midday, when deer are usually bedded down, we will often put a few folks on post in the more likely avenues of escape and then a few others will meander through the woods in an effort to move the deer. Most shooting is done by the posters but you will get some action in the woods as well. In any case, they are seldom standing still just waiting for the hammer. I actually find it easier to hold the gun steady on target while moving.

Rod, too.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 92 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod