Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lost my virginity story and pic finally!!! #122474 11/21/2012 11:02 PM
Chris Abbott Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

I am finally telling my story. Not a fantastic or elaborate story but it did become one of my favorite hunts ever.

I have a uncle who has had a contender for quite a few years now and taken many big game animals over the years. I decided a few years ago I had to have one of these awsome guns for myself. After a few buying a selling years with barrels, I finally settled on a 14" 30/30 Ackley Improved barrel. I have reloaded for this barrel with several different types and brands of bullets and never found one it didnt like. Last April I decided to start loading 130 Barnes tsx bullets infront of a heavy charge of Varget powder. Another load this barrel loved and produced 3/4" five shot groups at 100 off the bench. I decided this gun is more accurate than my rifles, easy to carry, and pointless to keep to only shoot paper.

I drew a private land doe tag this year for third season and thought why not put her to use and enjoy the thrill of handgun hunting. Season started Saturday morning but I was not able to get over to Salida until Sunday evening. Once I got to town I recieved a phone call at ten till five saying deer all over the property, go fill your tag. Well by the time I got there and set up it was to dark to shoot even though the deer were plentiful. So I decided to get to the property the next morning with high hopes.

Monday morning I arrived just before legal shooting time and made my way to the fence at the back of the property that splits our property from another. I found a small ditch that had a nice large tree root at the top edge of it for resting my gun on. Layed down in the ditch and placed my gloves on the root and started watching the fence line for movement comeing out of the hay fields above me. Within two minutes I had two nice bucks comeing right at me with several does following. The deer were all on the wrong side of the fence but I was hopefull. The bucks stopped 35 yards infront of me and started eating. A good doe walked right up behind them, looked at the fence and jumped, game on I think. Get settled on her with the crosshairs, question whether she is to close to the fence and hesitate. She turns around and jumps back over the fence, whew I think, glad she didnt have one of my bullets in her. So now I wonder if I may have set up in a bad spot. At this point the bucks have noticed something is odd and are staring at me. But the doe jumps back over the fence and stands broadside again. As I start to try to turn the gun back on her one of the bucks catches my movement and heads off taking most of the group with him. My doe turns and jumps back out of the property and starts to follow the other deer. SO I decide to lay back for a minute and see if more come down the ridge after the others have settled or left. Then I hear some noise that seems close and lean up a little to see what it is. The remaining buck and my doe have jumped the fence and are walking farther into our property. The addrenaline is pumping now because I think it is going to happen this time. They get about fifty yards into the property and start eating. I take a few minutes and settle down for the kill. I debate whether or not to shoot her in the head for a dead right there kill since she is about 65 yards, or in the chest for a you shouldnt mess that up kill. Well I decided to take the chest shot. Take my time to be steady and place the shot right behind the shoulder to not harm the meat, breathe, calm, steady, squeeze, and boom. She hunches up, then leaps, and then walks about ten steps and stops. She gets wobbly and starts swaying a bit and then lays down in the bedded position. Oh no did I have a bad hit, did I mess up, should I have used the rifle again, all those thoughts are running in my head as I stare through the binnoculars at her. After what feels like a eternity ( probably half a minute ) her head drops. I give her about fifteen minutes before I see if my legs work still and go check her out.

I have a doe and its with my contender. Not a trophy in some books but I cant remember being more excited on any other hunt. While field dressing her I find my shot was higher then I wanted, I destroyed both lungs but missed the heart. Once drug back to the jeep I get her skinned to find out how my bullet worked. Went in between two ribs as a pencil sized whole but excited the otherside through two ribs with a inch plus whole going out. I dont know how my vellocity is as I have not chronod this load but it worked good in my mind and I am a happy handgun hunter finally.

Guns dont kill people, people kill people.
Re: Lost my virginity story and pic finally!!! [Re: Chris Abbott] #122476 11/21/2012 11:13 PM
358429 Offline
Chris Abbott

Well done, there are a lot of choices in .30 cal bullets, have you chronographed any of your loads ??

I had the standard 10" .30-30 barrel and a .30 Herrett, when I lived in Alaska I actually did more with the Herrett barrel. With the right bullet it was adequate for Caribou, under 200 yards.

Re: Lost my virginity story and pic finally!!! [Re: Chris Abbott] #122477 11/21/2012 11:21 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
[Not a trophy in some books]
You need to quit reading those kinds of books. A trophy is a lot more than horns[or should be].You did it the right way,made a good shot.enjoy her for the trophy she is, you will never get another first deer with a handgun. Though you may take many more, she was the first!!!!!!
Good Shooting!!!

junebug
Re: Lost my virginity story and pic finally!!! [Re: junebug] #122483 11/22/2012 12:19 AM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
nice shooting,now your hooked-L.O.L.-john

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Lost my virginity story and pic finally!!! [Re: johnwilliams] #122489 11/22/2012 12:51 AM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
Congratulations.

Re: Lost my virginity story and pic finally!!! [Re: Chris Abbott] #122493 11/22/2012 1:09 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
14" 30/30 Ackley Improved

Great choice, and good shootin'

Congrat's!

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Lost my virginity story and pic finally!!! [Re: s4s4u] #122497 11/22/2012 1:35 AM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Congrats!!

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Lost my virginity story and pic finally!!! [Re: Russell] #122502 11/22/2012 2:56 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Fantastic Chris! Congratulations!

Re: Lost my virginity story and pic finally!!! [Re: SChunter] #122504 11/22/2012 3:39 AM
Chris Abbott Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thank you guys.

358429, i never got a chance to chrono any loads. Sure love that cartridge though.

Guns dont kill people, people kill people.
Re: Lost my virginity story and pic finally!!! [Re: Chris Abbott] #122507 11/22/2012 4:11 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Congrats! Sounds like you're hooked now! I'm thinking about having my 30/30 barrel reamed to the AI or 30 GNR; I think they're about the same...

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Lost my virginity story and pic finally!!! [Re: KRal] #122727 11/25/2012 1:40 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Great story!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod