Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ruger mount for Deltapoint #123028 11/28/2012 11:07 PM
98Redline Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So I have my 3.5 MOA Deltapoint on order. When it arrives I plan on it taking up residence on top of my 480 SRH.

Regrading the mounting, I am thinking about using the EGW mount that replaces the rear sight. This is the same product as the JP Enterprises JPA-RR http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPA-RR, (EGW actually builds the mount for them)

2 Questions:

1) Has anyone used this mount before and have any pros or cons to this particular design over rail mounting.

2) JP says that for mounting on a SRH the mount needs to be modified due to the integral scope mount. What needs to be done? I spoke with EGW and they were not aware of any specific interference issues.

Re: Ruger mount for Deltapoint [Re: 98Redline] #123053 11/29/2012 2:59 AM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
I had to file/sand down the front portion so the bolt down section sat flush.

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: Ruger mount for Deltapoint [Re: Pasco] #123100 11/29/2012 2:40 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand

There are a couple advantages to mounting lower or with a mount that is less obtrusive. The first being that picking up the dot will be a little more "natural". If this is your first micro dot, it's gonna take a little practice to finding the dot quickly. I don't think this is a big deal, as either is a little different.

The second reason might be in your choice or mods to holsters. The smaller the mount footprint, the easier it will be to find a holster or possibly modify an existing one to clear the base.

A third reason which may not apply to the Delta per se is that your could still have some use of your iron sights. The JPoint, which has the same footprint (base) as the Delta actually has a rear sight notch. I have a 1911 with a low mount melt install and my irons actually work in the lower third of the sight window. On my FA gun, with the FA low mount, I have use of the irons sort of, as it shoots a bit high at 25, but still leaves the gun functional albiet not perfect. I am running a higher mount on my FA now, but if I were using the low mount with the delta I would probably either use the rear Delta lock screws in conjuction with the front sight as a rough backup iron set, or would add a little paint to the back of the sight body to do the same. I run one Delta and 3 Jpoints on various guns and have never had a problem with the battery or sight failing, but I am still a little paranoid about it ;^)

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Ruger mount for Deltapoint [Re: Bearbait in NM] #123111 11/29/2012 3:05 PM
MIHunter Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have the JPoint on my .480 and I did not have to modify anything.

Re: Ruger mount for Deltapoint [Re: MIHunter] #123170 11/29/2012 11:55 PM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
I had the JPoint mount on my first 454 SRH and didn't have to modify the mount. You may have to file down the mounting screw to give proper clearance. A very easy install.

You probably already know this, but attaching the JPoint mount involves removing the rear sight. I think one of the other red dot manufacturers (Burris ??) use a mount which simply locks into the Ruger scope mount dovetail.

Re: Ruger mount for Deltapoint [Re: Walkingthemup] #123189 11/30/2012 2:24 AM
98Redline Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I did know that I needed to remove the rear sight. I would prefer to keep it in place if I could. I found the Burris mount that uses the scope cutout.

Does anyone know if the Burris mount will fit the Deltapoint?

Re: Ruger mount for Deltapoint [Re: 98Redline] #123406 12/03/2012 3:28 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand

The Burris, JPoint and Delta Point have the same footprint on the base. By this I mean the holes for the screws are in the same location, and the locating tabs are the same. The only differences I have found in the mounts for the various brands is the thread pitch and size. So if the mount comes with screws they should work. If the screws for a mount do not work, then it is easy to get the longer ones at a hardware store.

It's a little frustrating trying to figure a lot of this out, buy there are two or three footprint patterns for all the various micro red dots out there. But any mount from any maker for any of the three sights I mentioned will work with any of the three.

Craig

Re: Ruger mount for Deltapoint [Re: Bearbait in NM] #124785 12/24/2012 4:49 PM
98Redline Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Just a quick update regarding the Delta Point mounting. Finally, after over 30 days on backorder my Delta Point arrived this morning.

I had prevously purchased a Burris mount for the SRH as it did not require the rear sight to be removed.

On mounting I was faced with a serious "Dammit" moment. The Burris mount didn't even come close to fitting the footprint of the Deltapoint.

Quote:
The Burris, JPoint and Delta Point have the same footprint on the base. By this I mean the holes for the screws are in the same location, and the locating tabs are the same.

Craig...I am not sure if Leupold changed their footprint on the newer Deltapoints but they are definately not compatible.
Burris (left), Leupold (right)

If I can get confirmation from JP Enterprises I am thinking of purchasing their universal blank and having my gunsmith machine a custom mount that is similar to how the Burris mounts using the scope ring cutouts and maintains the rear sight.

JP Enterprises blank

Burris SRH mount

Re: Ruger mount for Deltapoint [Re: 98Redline] #124804 12/24/2012 10:03 PM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Both systems mount using locator studs for position and screws for attachment. How well do the exterior dimensions match? Its hard to tell from the photo but I'm wondering whether the Burris mount could be modified by drilling holes then inserting pins to match the Delta setup and then drilling and tapping the screw holes. It would need to be done with a fair bit of precision but may be easier than modifying the JP blank.

Re: Ruger mount for Deltapoint [Re: Walkingthemup] #124808 12/24/2012 10:58 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand

I am sorry. In looking at your pictures your Leupold looks more like my Delta mount, although mine does not have the square cut-outs. That Burris mount looks more like a Docter pattern. I probably had my wires crossed.

Hunter is correct, the studs are used to locate the sight precisely so that when you change the battery you get a good return to zero. My DP mount with only two studs is a little more "wiggley" than my JP mounts with four studs. I am not sure if you are going to try and maintain the 4 stud arrangement or go with the Burris style opposing screw deal, but if you do the studs with set screws you have the ability to lower or remove them to alter the pattern. I had a 1911 slide milled by Novak for the JP and when I got it I was a little put off by the set screws they used, but realized that I can actually turn them out or down if I find myself with a different sight down the road.

I have some JP spacers that could be used as a template for drilling holes that I would gladly send you if you pm me your address. I also have an adapter plate that I picked up with my new C-more that might work to convert the Burris mount that you have. I think I owe you that much.

Craig

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod